View Full Version : what is an SSR? seen a few boats with SSR numbers on them

11-01-07, 11:21
hi there can someone tell me what an SSR number is? i seen a few boats that had ssr numbers on them?


11-01-07, 11:49
Hava a look here https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/ssr/ssr/

11-01-07, 11:51
Some people choose to register their ownership of their boat and this can be done in 2 ways. Either the very official Part 1 Registry or the simpler <u>S</u> mall <u>S</u> hip <u>R</u> egister.

It is sometimes a legal requirement for one or the other to be taken out - I think /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif . Ought to know really as I SSR'd our boat a year or so ago. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

BAH!!! Too slow again.

11-01-07, 12:03
ok grand thanks for the info,, i dont believe we have an online system in Ireland yet, it would be very handy.

11-01-07, 12:53
If it is not too late register on "the other one", the Certificate of British Registry". It costs more but is worth it for half a dozen good reasons especially if you are taking your boat outside British waters.

11-01-07, 14:50
To obtain an SSR No. is not a legal requirement in the UK, but is necessary if going foreign; quite cheap at 25 quid but 150 o/o dearer than last year!

11-01-07, 23:32



11-01-07, 23:44
Does Ireland use the same SSR as the UK?

Maybe you need to ask your question again with respect to your location.

The SSR was brought about because the UK does not have compulsory boat registration while our nearest neighbour franšais does and require(d) all visiting boats to have some form of registration.

The SSR is a fairly meaningless laminated card whose purpose is to appease foreign dignitaries. When I renewed mine, first time in my name I was not asked for any proof of ownership or ID. In fact, I could easily register your boat in my name on the SSR.

Decide if you really will be going foreign, you will not need it to sail to Britain as I do not need one to sail to Eire. If you intend going to Europe proper then you will require some form of registration.

I am no expert on this, this is only my understanding and experience. I know that there is no requirement for anything for boats crossing the Irish sea in either direction, though I did make sure I had all my paperwork in case I was asked. I wasn't.

12-01-07, 00:07
registration for a yacht in Ireland is optional. you can do this at the local port, but it involves a full detailed survey of the yacht, even if new! by a marine surveyor.. it is not an easy process and involves a large chunk of paperwork,

im planning on sailing to the med and or canary islands in the near future, and im in the process of buying a new bigger boat, and also sorting out my certification , ICC.

i wasnt aware that an ICC was required if i sailed into europe but my local training school says that it is a requirement once i sail outside ireland / uk waters.

12-01-07, 00:39
The only time you need an ICC is when entering inland waters such as the French canals (on a British flagged vessel).

I intend to get one anyway to prevent fights and problems with little peaked cap officials running their harbours around the Med.

To go into the canals you also require a CEVINI endorsement which is a vote for joe exam on canal rules and regs. From what I hear, it is not a very taxing paper.

12-01-07, 11:00
I have 2 boats out here reg'd SSR ....
As long as you have UK address to enter on form - and of course you are not lieing to avoid some other country's officialdom ... you can register a boat SSR.

I miss the old Blue Book that it used to come as ... the Laminated card doesn't have the same appeal ... Anyway Superanne - the boat trucked over short while ago ... I slit with a blade carefully the clear plastic cover near the fold and inserted the new SSR card ... (had to trim a smidgeon of top and bottom to fit) ... so now still have the blue book with current SSR in.
The other boat has no blue book to use similar - so has only the card.

The SSR is to be noted only a Register of the Owner and Boat name - it is not Legal Ownership Document....... but if boat is nicked / passing borders etc. - is literally accepted as such.

12-01-07, 12:29
On our boat, the mate-who-must-be-obeyed-in-any-case is the only one with any paper qualification (day skipper) so carries an ICC in case. We have not been asked for one in 3 years cruising UK to Italy...

The SSR is fairly meaningless, but some of our number have been known to forget the length of their boat, so get away with lower marina charges on the strength of it. You do need some form of registration document.

12-01-07, 14:27
Surely Ireland is our nearest neigbour. There's a land border. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

12-01-07, 22:55
but some of our number have been known to forget the length of their boat, so get away with lower marina charges on the strength of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the contrary, I measured my boat strictly in accordance with the instructions issued by the SSR authorities. It is quite a bit less than the manufacturers figure and a lot less than the name of the boat implies. Saves a worthwhile amount at overseas marinas (who always go by what the SSR says) and especially on French canal dues. Strangely, never works with English marinas /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif


13-01-07, 00:05
Spain, France, Italy, Corsica, Sardinia.
Nobody ever asked to actually see my registration document (laminated table mat thing) I have Part 1 ,

I just carry an index card with details like reg, No, Insurance policy number, crew &amp; my passport Nos etc. which I take to port office to help me fill out the form which invariably gets filed without a glance.

San Remo, the exception. Coastgaurd needed to photocopy everything twice, then file without a glance - still didnt get my part1 tho.