PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on 5k 4berth bilge keel yacht

haddock60
14-02-07, 11:59
I am looking to buy my first yacht and would welcome recommendations on what to buy. Spec is around 5k; 4 berth; bilge keel; coastal cruising out of Plymouth; Not looking for sparkling performance but does need to be capable of sailing up wind!

Jonny_H
14-02-07, 12:04
Seamaster 23?

My father had one of these - we sailed from the North West and did a few trips to the Isle of Man and Scotland.

They come with fin, lifting or bilge keels - ours was bilge. Had a pilot berth, double berth forward and the saloon converted to a double. Also had an inboard diesel engine. They are around the 5k mark.

Details here (http://www.seamasterclub.org/images/boats/sailers/sms23/sms23.htm)

Jonny

robmcg
14-02-07, 12:31
I second the Seamaster Sailor. I know a guy in Scotland who has one and reckons they are pretty good all rounders. There is one for sale in Seakers down in Weymouth if interested.

14-02-07, 12:39
Seamaster - as already suggested ...

Cheaper end of Westerly Pageant pricing ....

Snapdragons of various sizes including 26's .....

If you don't mind wood / ply construction - Eventides etc.

Personally ? The Snapdragons will win no races - but are strong, seagoing jobs ..... Only comment - be careful about engines in them - most were fitted out with Vires or Stuart Turner Petrol jobs ... then later many refitted with Petter Diesels etc.

Dyflin
14-02-07, 12:49
Have a look at the Leisure boats, plenty within budget and requirements. The 22/23 has standing headroom inside and is very roomy indeed, plus it sails well, no sprinter but built like a brick outhouse.

Have a look at the for sale (http://www.leisureowners.org.uk/site/contents/market.shtml#Yachts_for_Sale) section on the excellent owners association site.

doug748
14-02-07, 13:15
How about Hurley 24? Produced locally, so still a few about, roomy, prop protected behind good skeg. Probably asking a little above your price but everyone is open to offers. They were sopposed to be an updated 22 but the performance is too stately for that, good reports of their performance at sea though.

Channel Ribs
14-02-07, 13:51
[ QUOTE ]
...be careful about engines in them - most were fitted out with Vires ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing wrong with Vires, lovely light weight and resilient motors.

Channel Ribs
14-02-07, 13:54
Not so much of a recommendation, but a quick search for Yachts with Bilge Keels for 4-5k in Boats & Outboards brought this lot up:

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/php/b...amp;Submit.y=13 (http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/php/browser.php3?category_id=19&country_id=1&county_id =&wantedflag=fs&kword=bilge+keel&price_from=4000&p rice_to=5000&sequence1=price&Submit.x=56&Submit.y= 13)

Edit: Link may not have preserved the 'Bilge Keel' part.

14-02-07, 14:27
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...be careful about engines in them - most were fitted out with Vires ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing wrong with Vires, lovely light weight and resilient motors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had 2 boats with Vires ... and yes - they do the job ... but many have duff crankcase seals and still relying on Magneto ignition ...
Many people still sail with petrol inboards ... if in good condition - OK ... but not my choice. Diesel is much safer.

moondancer
14-02-07, 14:44
For that budget you should be able to get a Hurley 22 in very good condition. That would be my choice - if you can cope with the slight lack of headroom.

MoodySabre
14-02-07, 16:00
Atthe risk of sounding like Tony B - there's three things to look out for:

Reliable engine, reliable engine, reliable engine.

If it isn't then you could double your budget putting in a new one. TLC is cheap by comparison.

jwilson
14-02-07, 17:18
I agree the Hurley 22 is one of the nicest little bilge-keel boats there are - pretty, and really good all-round sailing performance, but accommodation cramped compared to Leisures etc. On the other hand at this budget you could go looking for a really tidy, sorted H22, rather than a tired bigger boat. If you don't mind work you could possibly find an old tired Sadler 25 at this budget, and this is also another good bilge-keeler.

My preference is always to buy a really good well looked after boat rather than a fixer-upper. In my opinion you end up spending just as much in the end, but have a lot of work to do as well.

14-02-07, 17:37
Trident
Leisure
etc ......

The Hurley is a nice looking well proprtioned pocket boat ... but it is limited by its accoms. Sooner or later you want to stand up to do your Full English in the morning ! That was why I ended up raiding the piggy-bank for a more headroom boat in lesser condition to my prev. smaller boat ...

TJAGAIN
14-02-07, 18:43
halcyon 23 ,just appen to have one for sale. good trailer sailer
mint engine etc etc 5k pm if you want a look

Twister_Ken
14-02-07, 18:56
There's a Sonata converted to bilge keel on the Sonata Owners site (http://www.sonata.org.uk/boatsforsale03/index.htm) in Beaumaris, at 5K.

Should be a lottafun, and quite habitable. Outboard, which is perfect for a small boat (compared to a dubious inboard).

luddites
14-02-07, 19:13
Twin keel version of the Tomahawk 25, built like a tank but with a decent performance including upwind.

You do see them from 6k upwards but you might be lucky with an offer. Many were home completed so price range is wide. But a really good base for a bit of work, and a safe home for your money.

thailand69
14-02-07, 19:31
I would make a list of boats that would be acceptable (also have a look on Yachtworld.com to get an idea)............and then not be too fussy about what model you get, instead go for the best one you can find for the money.

bobgoode
14-02-07, 20:06
Bilge Hurley 22...and loads of money left over for goodies and even a new outboard

Vanilla
14-02-07, 22:17
Westerly Centaur might fit the bill. Not great upwind but a good boat with lots of space inside and big cockpit for her size

BlueSkyNick
14-02-07, 22:26
You will do well to find a decent Centaur for 5k - last time I looked (about 5 years ago) they were still averaging over 10k.

grumpy_o_g
14-02-07, 22:30
How about this Kestrel 22 (http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F102286/) and you get to keep the change?

Having been brought up on a diet of Stellas (the boat not the fizzy drink) and Stuart-Turners I reckon a Vire is a pretty reasonable engine but you've an outboard as well with this ......

simonfraser
15-02-07, 07:38
i'd want an outboard, easier to replace when it goes wrong

oldharry
15-02-07, 08:56
[ QUOTE ]
. Outboard, which is perfect for a small boat (compared to a dubious inboard).

[/ QUOTE ] why are old inboards any more dubious than old outboards, Ken? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In the 5K price bracket ANY engine is to be regarded with suspicion, particularly outboards - but they are much easier and cheaper to replace!

15-02-07, 09:22
[ QUOTE ]
Westerly Centaur might fit the bill. Not great upwind but a good boat with lots of space inside and big cockpit for her size

[/ QUOTE ]

A Centaur at 5K would be a rarity ...... possible - but probably in a state that needs a lot of work.

You might get its smaller sister - Pageant but again would be at its lowest market price range.

You'd get a good Westerly 25, Nomad etc. for 5K .... or even a Macwester .... if you hunt around.

Twister_Ken
15-02-07, 11:11
>why are old inboards any more dubious than old outboards, Ken? <

Outboards easier to service, easier and cheaper to replace! More likely to get nicked, though.

Plus, of course, the boat sails faster without having to drag all that gubbins through the water.

Burnham_Bob
15-02-07, 19:54
I have a Halcyon 23. Its a great boat, well worth a look as part of the shopping around. Mine sails well. Any boat claiming to be a four berth at that price is likely to be a it cramped. You could sleep four in mine but two is much better. Maybe two adults and two kids.....

Rondonay
16-02-07, 00:22
I have a Swift 18 which we use as a two berth, there are 4 but 'cosy' would be the word!
Lovely boat.

Slow_boat
17-02-07, 11:11
I bought a Macwester 26 with an almost new Beta 20 for less than 5.000 last year and I'm very pleased with her. Sails to windward like a gaffer, i.e. full and bye, but never intended as anything but a big solid safe family cruising boat. Your budget should get a reasonable one.

It depends what you want. Personally, I've done my racing and man-against-the-elements stuff, now I want a quiet life on the water.

chrishelen
17-02-07, 17:57
My first boat was a kestral 22 with a 5hp seagul,they sail realy well and lots of room below,not standing though,they take the ground well and feel solid in a bash,my current boat is an eventide 26,she wont scare you and is totaly predictable,full standing headroom all the bells and whistles,nice diesel new main all for 3grand, and i sold the yard trailer for 300quid,so i you find you dont take to boat ownership its not the end of the world.
rgrds,chris.