PDA

View Full Version : Continual quiz about The Bristol Channel?

tonybarebones
11-12-07, 18:15
What do you think about this idea… a Continual quiz about The Bristol Channel? Here's what I was thinking…

Someone starts (me if you want)…

A question or a link to a picture we have taken in the Bristol Channel & etc is posted… we guess the answer and whoever guesses it correctly then posts another question, picture & etc… and so on ad infinitem.

I will wait for your comments and if enough are happy to do it then I will post a question… Tony Barebones. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

graham
11-12-07, 18:52
Go for it Tony , be a bit of fun these winter nights.

Csail
11-12-07, 20:15
Who is this & where????
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa161/bonnymary/DSC01863.jpg
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Allan
11-12-07, 21:05
Tony, on a boat!
Allan

graham
11-12-07, 21:44
Barebones Tony on Bonnie Mary somewhere between Breaksea and the Nash/Porlock?

Csail
11-12-07, 22:21
Both winners! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Csail
11-12-07, 22:49
Allan is closest so your turn!
(not on 'Bonny')

Allan
12-12-07, 00:06
I think this should be quite simple. Name the yacht club. http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj122/Chausey/IMGP0038.jpg
Allan

bluedragon
12-12-07, 12:23
North Devon YC at Instow...

Csail
12-12-07, 14:29
No idea, but woud be interested to know.

Allan
12-12-07, 21:14
Well done, yes it is North Devon Yacht club, from outside The Bar (Nee The Quay). Your turn now I think.
Allan

bluedragon
13-12-07, 08:54
OK...here's another easy one to get us moving (I'll keep my hard ones until later!!)...

Where is this?...and for a bonus point, what's on top of the "pole-on-the-mole" ? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb83/bluedragonYBW/PICT1890.jpg

solitaire11
13-12-07, 10:41
appledore/bideford?

tonybarebones
13-12-07, 11:06
Hi, Its Combemartin and the topmark is a red triangle... so there... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

bluedragon
13-12-07, 11:14
I'll give you that Tony...and the top mark is a red triangle...but for an extra-extra bonus point, I was hoping for "red traffic cone" as the answer...but I'm nit-picking here /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif so over to you!!

PS - whilst trying to work out the nautical significance of a red traffic cone sticking up out of the sea, we sailed right over this mole at HW!! So take care everybody..

PPS - just thinking about it, we should probably give everyone 24 hrs to come in with their answers before announcing the winner. Otherwise those of us with bugger-all else to do all day will always be in first and not give the others a chance! What do you think..a good ground rule?

tonybarebones
13-12-07, 18:47
Hi Bluedragon, that seems like a goody, I mean giving 24 hours to answer, but there again if the question should be a stinker it could take days or weeks for someone to come up with a the correct answer but generally a 24 hour rule I’m in agreement with.

Now on with the Biz… What do Castle, Rudder, Ball and Black have in common and where are they? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

damo
13-12-07, 19:16
Steepholm features?

Csail
13-12-07, 23:02
Sorry , dead easy and jumping the gun.....
Who on what and where?
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa161/bonnymary/CopyofPicture1108.jpg

graham
13-12-07, 23:23
Lizette and Ben on Bonny Mary heading upstream past the Powder House in the river Avon. Dont think I win a prize though cos I just noticed its Tonies turn to set the question /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

bluedragon
15-12-07, 12:56
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Bluedragon, that seems like a goody, I mean giving 24 hours to answer, but there again if the question should be a stinker it could take days or weeks for someone to come up with a the correct answer but generally a 24 hour rule I’m in agreement with.

Now on with the Biz… What do Castle, Rudder, Ball and Black have in common and where are they? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems to be a mix-up in the order here...so to answer Tony's question, I think they are charted rocks in the Bristol Channel.

graham
15-12-07, 17:06
Castle Rock between coldknapp and Rhoose points

A few Black Rocks around ,one about 2 miles East of Watchet One in River Avon port side on way up to Bristol plus others no doubt.

Rudder rock on the end of Steepholm.Said to look like a rudder on the end of a ship.

Ball Rock between Sully Island and Lavernock.

Thing in common seems to be that they are Rocks?

PS Heres a tip passed on to me a while ago re Castle Rock.
If your tacking up channel staying close inshore to avoid the last of the ebb ,if you can see Sully Island you wont hit Castle Rock.If you cant because its hiding behind Friars and Nells points then you can hit Castle Rock and people do now and then ,not a nice rock at all /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tonybarebones
15-12-07, 17:45
Well done Gra, I new I could rely on you, it's up to you now to give us a stinker... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

graham
15-12-07, 21:15
Pubs around the Bristol Channel close to places you can sail / motor to ,where would you leave your boat to have a pint in them?

1,The Griffin
2,The George and Dragon
3.The Old Ship Aground
4,The Marine
5,The Star
6.The Captains Wife
7,The Orchard
8,The Old Airport
9,The Dolphin
10,The Royal

Find out who the booze cruisers are now... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

graham
16-12-07, 18:50
If you cant place them all see who can place the most.

tonybarebones
16-12-07, 23:34
1,The Griffin...... Dale
2,The George and Dragon..... Tenby
3.The Old Ship Aground..... Minehead
4,The Marine..... Barry Island
5,The Star.... Watchet
6.The Captains Wife.... Sully
7,The Orchard..... Bristol
8,The Old Airport..... Cardiff
9,The Dolphin..... Weston S Mare
10,The Royal..... Burnhan on Sea

Sneds
17-12-07, 08:12
Is the pub up the hill from Port Marine (Portishead) called the Royal Hotel?
Anyone coming for mince pies and carol singing on Wednesday?

graham
17-12-07, 19:43
The Royal in Portishead was the one I was thinking of but Tony is very knowledgeable on this subject so there must be one in BoS as well /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bit dissapointed in only getting two replies,maybe we should start a new thread for each question to save scrolling down a long list.

Over to you Tony for the next question /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

tonybarebones
17-12-07, 20:03
Hi Gra, no need to seperate the questions or scroll down, on the allotment forum I use the quiz goes to fifty odd pages! just click on the last page on the index... Now on the business... where would you be if you were sitting on "PIG BEACH" ? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

damo
17-12-07, 20:36
Probably at a computer? And you can get to Pig Beach by following this link: Pig Beach (http://www.logicalgamers.com/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fglobal.hidden-street.net%2Fmaps%2Fvilithharbor.php%23thepigbeach )

graham
17-12-07, 21:27
Pig Beach, my mate sails there every year in his Trotter 23,Swine of a place to get into apparently. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

damo
17-12-07, 21:50
Stop telling porkies Graham. It's a lovely place /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Csail
17-12-07, 22:52
Tie up on the trot moorings, gammon is good in the Hamlet pub 'the pig and whistle' /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

tonybarebones
18-12-07, 17:41
O.k. I see you are all making a pigs ear of this question so I’ll give you the answer… It’s the beach on the south end of Brean Down and it actually faces up the River Axe, you come close to it when entering the Axe, opposite Black Rock, as I don’t want to hog the forum and boar you all to death, you know it’s a pig of a job making up these questions so here’s another to make you squeal…

Many yachts sailing in the Bristol Channel today have a “PARROT PERCH” what is it?

damo
18-12-07, 21:01
A parrot perch is a fitting from the mast to the head of the jib to stiffen the rig and take sag out of the forestay.

Is that a good enough answer? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

graham
18-12-07, 22:20
I have heard a stainless arch across the back of the cockpit for ariels,radars etc refered to as a Parrot perch ?

damo
19-12-07, 07:33
On the assumption that I got it right and Graham didn't /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, you get 1 point for naming the anchorage, and 10 points for naming the 3 star classic climb up the slab at the back of the bay /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/SnowPetrel/Mackerel_kids.jpg

graham
19-12-07, 10:36
Firstly I think we should wait for the official judge to make a decision he hasnt even consulted the linesman yet /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Secondly only a madman would climb up there when theres a path to the pub round the other side /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tonybarebones
19-12-07, 18:24
O.k. Damo, you did get it right but I must admit I'm stumped on your anchorage, looks like it might be on the North Devon coast somewhere... I'll hazard a guess and say it's Woody Bay.

graham
19-12-07, 19:01
You perch your Parrots where ever you like,I'm off to sulk. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

damo
19-12-07, 22:50
N.Devon coast? Nah - doesn't look like sandstone or culm to me /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

damo
19-12-07, 22:51
Sick as parrot eh?

graham
19-12-07, 22:53
Looks a bit like Limestone to me? I could make a guess but Im still sulking /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

donm
19-12-07, 22:58
Gower?

donm
19-12-07, 23:09
Scavenger - Three Cliff's Bay?

damo
19-12-07, 23:51
I think you got it right the first time. Now snap out of it and think /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Csail
20-12-07, 00:15
Lundy?

damo
20-12-07, 00:35
Course it's Lundy, but where is the anchorage?

graham
20-12-07, 10:29
Pure guess,Jennys Cove?

Csail
20-12-07, 11:08
Is it Devels slide?

damo
20-12-07, 21:00
Jenny's Cove is correct - you have won a point!

Glad you have recovered from your sulk /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

damo
20-12-07, 21:01
Nice guess, but if you aren't a Lundy climber the answer is a bit esoteric I suppose!

Let's give the turn to Graham.....

graham
20-12-07, 21:39
OK then Wheres this .Clue ,theres a yachtclub next to the beach we were dried out on. Thats me about 15 years ago on the boat we had then,a Hurley 22 "Muddy Waters" .
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k5/VEGA165/Vega/Muddy20W202020Aviva20Dried20out20fe.jpg

The chap on the other boat was Charles John who sailed small boats around the Channel with his wife into their 90s.Remarkable couple sadly missed by those who knew them.

donm
20-12-07, 23:10
Looks a little like Beggar's Reach in the Haven. I recognise the boy on the bow of the Hurley, but 15 years ago? Journalistic licence maybe Graham?

graham
20-12-07, 23:44
[ QUOTE ]
but 15 years ago?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it was 16 years ago /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Not Beggars Reach sorry.

damo
20-12-07, 23:46
Tenby

graham
21-12-07, 09:02
Tenby is getting closer.

Csail
21-12-07, 09:30
Dale?

Csail
21-12-07, 12:58
Here is another where in the mean time (easy)
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa161/bonnymary/DSC01805.jpg

bluedragon
21-12-07, 13:50
I'd say Burry Port / Loughor area...

graham
21-12-07, 17:11
[ QUOTE ]
I'd say Burry Port / Loughor area

[/ QUOTE ]

Closest answer yet but not right.

Csail
21-12-07, 17:45
CLUE....AN ISLAND

bluedragon
21-12-07, 18:11
I'm sure this is Carmarthen Bay... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif OK let's try Ferryside and the River Towy Yacht Club ashore?

graham
21-12-07, 18:36
[ QUOTE ]
OK let's try Ferryside and the River Towy Yacht Club ashore?

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Think up a stinker.

bluedragon
21-12-07, 19:11
A stinker eh... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well, let's try this one. It would take THE most intrepid Bristol Channeler to have ever got this far...and been daft enough to have gone in (well...Graham might have).

Some clues...a last refuge in the outer reaches where the water is blue and if we go any further we fall off the edge of the world, or get eaten by sea serpents, or seduced by mermaids !!! It's still within our inshore waters forecast area..and the national flag ain't black and white!!

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb83/bluedragonYBW/PICT2037.jpg

For a "perfect 10" answer, a glass of wine at the CBYC New Year bash if you're there (otherwise I'll drink it)...

tonybarebones
21-12-07, 20:06
HI Blue dragon, might it be Porth Claise? cheers.

bluedragon
21-12-07, 21:10
Bugger!! That was quick Mr.Bones...is there ANYWHERE you haven't been???

I'd better get that extra bottle of wine on order /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anybody actually sailed into Porth Clais? The last haven before being by sucked into Ramsey Sound, shredded by the Bitches and swallowed by the whirlpools (and that's on a good day). This was a "recce" visit by land, just in case summer 2008 turns out to be a scorcher, with light winds, flat calm and nice slack tides...

Csail
22-12-07, 09:04
My mate and i went there many years ago by accident! Also went through the bitches 'by accident' (not by yacht but in a motor boat)

Csail
22-12-07, 09:16
Another top tip is don't anchor at Nolton Haven......we did and the surf just brewed up instantly. Good pub/hotel there though.The cottages opposite are great to stay in if you want a good base for trailer sailing or a speedboat/mobo
Great for fishing and the scenery is stunning.

Csail
22-12-07, 09:39
Cmon Tony....your turn!! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

damo
22-12-07, 09:50
OK Andy - while we are waiting, here's one:

You are standing on the end of Portishead pier, at night. To the left is a Fl(2)G and beyond that a north cardinal. Ahead is 1Q.G, to the right are lots of confusing port entrance lights, and three pairs of 2F.R(hor).

Which direction is the wind coming from?

Csail
22-12-07, 09:55
East

damo
22-12-07, 10:02
I am hoping that wasn't just a lucky guess! Would you care to give your reasoning? (I should have specified that the question would apply at any time, not just the current conditions)

graham
22-12-07, 10:37
You had me stumped there,never been to Port Claise ,looks interesting though..,.

tonybarebones
22-12-07, 10:48
I'm sorry for the delay guys but some of us have proper lives as well did you know! No Pics I afraid but here are a few little teasers, I hope... Many yachts from the Bristol Channel encounter “The Chops of The Channel”, what and where are they? I olden days sailing vessels used to employ a method called dredging in the |Bristol Channel to get places what is it? What is a “Tarpaulin Muster”?

graham
22-12-07, 10:56
[ QUOTE ]
The Chops of The Channel”,

[/ QUOTE ]

Morning Tony your questions seem to be on a pork theme lately. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Re dredging or drudging ,of the three the only one I know, is dragging your anchor deliberately up a river to slow you down and give some control as water is flowing past the rudder as the tide will be quicker than the boat.

I have read this method was used by trading ketches ets making their way up the River Axe probably other places as well.

Csail
22-12-07, 10:57
Aboard ship, when financial assistance was called for a distressed member of the crew, arising from an accident or other cause, each crew member was asked to place his contribution on the tarpaulin which covered the timber hatch covers enclosing the top of the ship’s hold. A crew member would stand by to remind the seamen of the need to make a contribution, and when completed the "tarpaulin muster" would be handed to the affected member or his family. In other industries, someone would take round the hat and, in later developments, someone would take up a list, with paper and pencil to record the names and amounts contributed.

graham
22-12-07, 11:08
Or even later his mates could fill in an online direct debit form /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So thats two answered its all down to the pork question again. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

damo
22-12-07, 11:09
Fro the Google Book of Nautical Lore:

E. Cobham Brewer 1810–1897. Dictionary of Phrase and Fable. 1898.

Chops of the Channel.

The short broken motion of the waves, experienced in crossing the English Channel; also the place where such motion occurs.

(And I have taken the quote marks off, just like csail did /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

damo
22-12-07, 11:12
So it looks like it's just down to the four of us again today!

Praps we should just take turns.

But I am learning some new stuff - thanks Tony /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bluedragon
22-12-07, 13:13
[ QUOTE ]
Fro the Google Book of Nautical Lore:

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooh...that's the secret. And I just thought you chaps had mega-sized brains!! Still waiting for Csail to tell us "why" on the wind at Portishead question. Don't let him get away with this...
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Csail
22-12-07, 14:32
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa161/bonnymary/DSCN4673.jpg

damo
22-12-07, 14:42
Ah, I see what has happened: you are in a fast mobo and have just overtaken him far too closely, and the wake has caught him. ie you have Channel Chopped him /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bluedragon
22-12-07, 15:22
And you want something FASTER than Bonny !!^&*%£

Csail
22-12-07, 16:56
Another try...that was taken from Bonny