PDA

View Full Version : Profile of a typical long term cruiser?

beancounter
14-12-07, 09:49
From reading various blogs and websites, plus postings on here, it seems to me that long term cruisers exhibit some or all of the following characteristics (in no particular order):

a) Have been sailing since they were knee-high to a pint pot.

b) Be naturally adept at, and positively enjoy, fixing & fettling things.

c) Have been self-employed or run their own business.

d) Have nursed a long-term ambition to head off into the blue.

e) Be independent in outlook & self-reliant.

and, errm..

f) Be on a second (or subsequent) marriage or relationship. (or none at all)

Yes, I know that "all generalisations are wrong" ( /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif)

Have I missed any?...

p.s. - not a 100% serious post....

cozzykim
14-12-07, 10:18
Well, we're not long term or liveaboard yet but:

a) Dad bought his 1st boat, a Sailfish 18 in the 60s
b) I'm an engineer and can't not fix things (ocd?)
c) Yes, both
d) Yes (so don't try to put me off) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
e) Yes (so it's not worth trying to put me off) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
f) Contemplating 3rd marriage (maybe you should try to put me off this one) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I seem to fit the profile, how encouraging.

Jonny_H
14-12-07, 10:25
We're setting off in July:

a) Have been sailing since they were knee-high to a pint pot - me since I was 8 and the wife since she was born

b) Be naturally adept at, and positively enjoy, fixing & fettling things - I quite enjoy the satisfaction of fixing things and am happy to have a go at most jobs

c) Have been self-employed or run their own business - afraid not (accountant working for a big firm and teacher respectively)

d) Have nursed a long-term ambition to head off into the blue - certainly have

e) Be independent in outlook & self-reliant - that rings true

and, errm..

f) Be on a second (or subsequent) marriage or relationship. (or none at all) - afraid not, first marriage, although we are quite young (mid twenties)

I would say your not too far off!

Jonny

LadyJessie
14-12-07, 10:44
Wow, you are very perceptive, Stargazer. I tick yes on all your points. I just need to make a qualification on your point b: when I was still in my professional career, I used to hate DIY and I always thought it was a major failure of the auto industry if I had to open the hood of my car. However, being a liveaboard cruiser; you don't have that luxury and you just have to be able to fix everything yourself. Now I absolutely love the feeling of self sufficiency that comes from the knowledge that you can actually yourself handle most problems that pop up at you. A nice discovery.

macd
14-12-07, 10:45
Is 5 out of 6 a pass?

Still, I'm quite new at this, so don't have the long-term credentials, but was hearted at the thought that maybe the potential is there.

I wonder to what extent the notion of sailing off TO something (however ephemeral)rather than escaping FROM something else is relevant in the long term.

But can the response you receive be relied upon, or is it a skewed sample?: a Liveaboard forum is inevitably populated more by folk whose dream is still alive, than by those for whom it's turned to ash. And what if characteristic #7 were: Luddites with no use for the internet? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LadyJessie
14-12-07, 10:53
[ QUOTE ]
And what if characteristic #7 were: Luddites with no use for the internet? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]No, I don't think that is valid. Most liveaboard cruisers are pretty clued up on the internet, wifi, skype, etcetera, just because that is normally their most important communication channel with friends and family.

beancounter
14-12-07, 10:56
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And what if characteristic #7 were: Luddites with no use for the internet? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]No, I don't think that is valid. Most liveaboard cruisers are pretty clued up on the internet, wifi, skype, etcetera, just because that is normally their most important communication channel with friends and family.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another attribute to go on the list, then...

macd
14-12-07, 11:57
No worries, we'll scrub that one. Can we insert instead a reluctance to recognise tongues in cheeks?

ccscott49
14-12-07, 13:38
Yep, I fit the profile, but only started sailing in my late twenties, but brought up next to the sea and been diving since I was 15.

Sadlermike
14-12-07, 18:36
I don’t come close!

I did not step onto a yacht until I was 50 and then only because various injuries brought an end to climbing and kayaking. Sailing was about the only option for an elderly cripple.

Avoided any ‘do-it-yourself’ activities through a combination of lack of interest and incompetence until I started sailing. Now forced into DIY through poverty and incompetence of most professionals.

c) Have been self-employed or run their own business. No

No. Drifted (no pun intended) into cruising through lack of worthwhile alternatives

e) Be independent in outlook & self-reliant. Guess so

f) Be on a second (or subsequent) marriage or relationship. (or none at all) Still on first marriage but would consider trading in for a younger model.

FrankieJ
14-12-07, 22:46
~~~~ SPOOKY!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
I tick all the boxes.
Maybe we should go 'liveaboard'.

Ariadne
14-12-07, 23:52
Pretty good that. 5 out of 6 for me.

I fix things cos I have to, and I'm to tight to pay somebody else if I can bodge it myself.

OR4751
15-12-07, 00:30
I know we're still a couple of years off, but I/we only fit two of those /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Or three if I get divorced and hitch up with another bird.

I guess it's all going to end in tears...

Conachair
15-12-07, 04:56
[ QUOTE ]

e) Be independent in outlook

[/ QUOTE ]
Dependent on outlook express, never could get 2000 working with yahoo or gmail. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ribrage
15-12-07, 10:20
errr .......pretty much guilty on all counts
My mother once described me as having "an aversion to all things normal"

bless her how right she was /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wino
15-12-07, 17:50
I hit all points - but as I also sail a 'Stargazer' we must have a lot in common - Long may we be so!
Roj 1

trouville
15-12-07, 23:42
Along the write lines but it has to be!

After all woman prefer a safe fixed "nest"and man. To go aboard a boat is either to have no fixed address for longer than a few weeks at most or to have a very small damp "flat"so very few long term couples that move a lot,lots that never move much though!!

Assuming then that once aboard she(the boat) sails arriving in new "worlds" daily weekly those aboard will have to be able to maintain everything aboard at sea you have to and in port you have to unless seriously rich!(with the UK annual bonus this year of £1,600,000 paid to all managers)prices have gone up.

As for the love of "off into the blue"Thats wrong,when a boat leaves it dose so because either shes heading for a great place at that time of the year,or to raft up with others or perhaps to look fot a new bay port or river heard about or just to visit a town thats interesting no one sets off without reason!

Good summery though

Brierley
19-12-07, 19:09
Nope. I crewed occasionally in my 20's but hubby first tried sailing in his 30's. We didn't actually learn how to sail until about 5 years ago.

Adept - me yes, hubby no. Enjoy, not really. Some satisfaction from a job well done. Both willing to learn though as we recognise it will be essential to be as independent as possible and able to fix things ourselves.

c) Have been self-employed or run their own business.
Yes, for both of us.

No, unless 2 years is long-term /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

e) Be independent in outlook & self-reliant.
Yes, for both of us

and, errm..

f) Be on a second (or subsequent) marriage or relationship. (or none at all)
No, first marriage for both of us. If hubby gets hit by a bus I am a) never getting married again and b) won't be sailing round the world
If I get hit by a bus, hubby would be d@mn lucky to find someone else who would sail round the world with him so he would qualify as a Yes /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think maybe you missed out

g) don't really fit in with the society they live in.

Will be interesting to see how we get on as long-term cruisers!

Brierley