PDA

View Full Version : Materials that will not stick to Polyester Resin

djh1962
23-04-08, 15:21
Hi

wish to glass in a piece of ply but wish to stop the holes pluging up with resin.

Was thinking of putting a piece of poly waterpipe or similar to stop this happening, do not want to drill.

Can someone confirm materials that will not stick to the resin/glass if it comes into contact?

Cheers in advance.

Nairndale /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

michael_w
23-04-08, 15:27
FWIW epoxy won't stick to ordinary brown parcel tape. I guess polyester resin would be the same.

Stemar
23-04-08, 15:33
Cling flim?

peterb
23-04-08, 16:09
PTFE tape

oldsaltoz
23-04-08, 16:22
G'day Dale,

I'm not quite sure what it is you are looking for but it sounds like you have some holes drilled that you do not want filled when glassing.

If your bolts are going to pass through the ply your glassing, allowing the resin to fill the holes will prevent moisture getting into the ply.

Anyway, you can fill the holes with wax from a candle or blue tack, even plastersine will be OK.

Hope this helps.

Avagoodweekend......

exfinnsailor
23-04-08, 20:29
Liberal amount of wax round pipe will stop it sticking .. Used a tin of BARBOUR Waterproofing wax as a release agent in a mould I made .. Furniture wax should be as good but lots of it .. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

srp
23-04-08, 22:58
[ QUOTE ]
Furniture wax should be as good but lots of it .. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I'm right in saying that waxes with silicon in them (ie most furniture polishes, especially sprays) should not be used with a polyester resin layup - it might be worth checking on a manufacturers web site. www.resin-supplies.co.uk (http://www.resin-supplies.co.uk) seem to agree with me, maybe someone else will confirm it.
I'd be inclined to try a bit of HDPE water pipe or electrical conduit to line the holes, and the resin could then saturate the ply.

djh1962
24-04-08, 08:10
Hi All,

as usual great deal of know how coming back!

I am replacing the piece of ply around the keel mounting support member internally, then will glass over it and did not want to get any resin down the actual keel bolt holes. Of all the suggestions may look like covering the bolts with PTFE tape before reinserting may do the trick , should also seal the bolt as it goes into the cast iron keel, bolts are SS. Anyone see a problem in this?

Many thanks to all who responded.

Cheers
Nairndale /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

oldsaltoz
24-04-08, 08:58
G'day Dale,

I hope you are planning to use Epoxy resin on this project. You should also seal the ply after drilling the holes and before you glass it into position.

To get improved penetration of the epoxy into the ply, you can thin the mixed resin and hardener with 40% Methylated Spirits by weight or volume.

Apply wet on tacky, the edges will take a lot to fill so start there and return when both sides have been coated. You can use heat to thin the resin, this will also speed up the curing.

Hope this helps.

Avagoodweekend......

djh1962
24-04-08, 11:21
Hi Oldsaltoz,

Cheers for the reply.

All I have is a Poly GPR kit, I am hopefully going to stop any water finding its way up to this point with sikoflex on the keel top and bolt area, thats the plan anyway as if it does it will find its way into the bilge which is why I am doing all this as thats exactly what happened on craning in ...ARG..lol

My best Mate lives in Melbourne....dream of sailing around your area.

Cheers again...

Niarndale /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Lodds
07-01-13, 13:07
Sorry to resurrect such an old post but.

I plan to do a lot of re-enforcing around my keel bolt area. My plan is to remove one nut at a time re-enforce the area before moving on. I plan to wrap the thread of the keel bolt with brown parcel tape as I understand this will stop excessive matting and polyester resin from sticking to the thread.

Or is there another method I could use?

Tony

VicS
07-01-13, 14:55
Sorry to resurrect such an old post but.

I plan to do a lot of re-enforcing around my keel bolt area. My plan is to remove one nut at a time re-enforce the area before moving on. I plan to wrap the thread of the keel bolt with brown parcel tape as I understand this will stop excessive matting and polyester resin from sticking to the thread.

Or is there another method I could use?

Tony

Insulation tape would be my preference to parcel tape.

Maybe you can find some thin walled polythene tubing that will fit over the studs.

Consider using epoxy, and the appropriate matting, rather than polyester resin as it sticks to the old laminate better.

Lodds
08-01-13, 12:30
Appreciate your comments, thank you!