PDA

View Full Version : Red boards again

angelaquayle
03-06-08, 16:02
Always call Floodline for latest info: 0845 988 1188, option 1, followed by quickdial 011131.

Update at 16.30 Tuesday 3rd June. Next update as river conditions dictate.

Flows on the River Thames are increasing with river conditions changing quickly.

Red Warning Boards notifying STRONG STREAM Caution are being displayed from St Johns to Mapledurham inclusive, with the exception of Shifford which is likely to go Red later today. All river users are advised to refrain from navigating on the river in any type of boat in the reaches adjacent to these locks.

Yellow Warning Boards notifying Stream Increasing are now being displayed at Caversham, Blakes, Cookham to Boveney inclusive and Penton Hook to Molesey inclusive. Users of unpowered boats are advised to refrain from navigating on the river upstream of these locations.

Flashheart
03-06-08, 16:16
Thanks for that.

Ahh welcome to the good old British Summer. Anyone for Pimms?
If you want Strawberries, they are in the flooded field to the right.

Richard Shead
03-06-08, 16:35
Can you get rid of it by Saturday please I have a bbq planned and the sun looks like it may just may be out....

Seriously though thanks for the update

Richard

Brayman
03-06-08, 17:32
Angela, I'm sure DO realise how much that information is appreciated on here, thank you very much. All you need to do now is get it automated.........and perhaps a bit more frequently than the floodline is currently.

apollo
03-06-08, 19:08
Now reds all the way from St Johns to Bray, thats screwed my trip up to Sonning then!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Brayman
03-06-08, 19:10
What's up can't Manxman manage the uphill gradient?

No Regrets
03-06-08, 19:11
~We regularly go out on Reds, and have yet to experience any issues other than being red carded at the locks...

My personal opinion is that the Boat is suitable for tidal and estuary work, and believe it will handle a fair river current if used with due consideration.

It's far more fun from a technical point of view too, like driving in Snow....

Sod the health and safety borne ****.... /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

apollo
03-06-08, 19:12
Just spent last weekend doing that from Teddington home, gets a bit boring doing 2knots over the ground for hours on end.

No Regrets
03-06-08, 19:19
The mighty 'Sea Tiger' from Mssrs Watermota laughs at such currents /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

byron
03-06-08, 19:44
[ QUOTE ]
~We regularly go out on Reds, and have yet to experience any issues other than being red carded at the locks...

My personal opinion is that the Boat is suitable for tidal and estuary work, and believe it will handle a fair river current if used with due consideration.

It's far more fun from a technical point of view too, like driving in Snow....

Sod the health and safety borne ****.... /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as I can get under bridges I positively welcome red boards when going downhill. You get there much faster and when mooring up have a nice strong stream to use to your advantage. Going uphill is another matter, then it is a drag.
Like you I see no danger in a strong stream; you get far faster water in places like Langstone Harbour and Christchurch and we take them for granted... twice a day /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
AND... as for the Alderney Race, need I say more?

Timothy
03-06-08, 22:49
Hi everyone and hope you are enjoying the great British summer! A quick opinion on red boards. My wife and I usually cruise well into December and during 2007 experienced many red cards. Our boat is twin engined and has a substantial anchor. With 30 years of boating experience I feel that red boards and the conditions (within reasonable limits, forget last July) that they present are not a problem to us. However single engine boats should think carefully before venturing out, as it would take a damn good helmsman and crew to get their anchor out and secure the vessel before it hit a bank or other objects after an engine failure.

angelaquayle
04-06-08, 08:08
I agree and we are working on it, promise!

Chris_d
04-06-08, 08:18
Thats good to know that its being worked on, and if I can make a suggestion, what Boaters really need to know is the actual river height. The present "Flood warning" statement is not very helpfull, if an actual level above normal for a specific reach could be quoted and then the words rising or falling with it, this would be a lot more helpfull.

Gavi
04-06-08, 09:18
Seconded. If possible, this would be great to know!

Andrew_Fanner
04-06-08, 11:23
/signed as well. River heights gives far more useful information than pretty much anything else. Having said that, some indication of flow relative to normal rates has its value but what I think of as "Fck me ragged its hammering through there" may be seen by an old timer as "marginally above normal yer wuss".

boatone
04-06-08, 11:23
Is there anywhere on the EA website that explains the logic behind controlling the flow and levels of the river?

If not, is there any chance you could persuade one of your flood control peeps to come on here and give us all an insight?

angelaquayle
04-06-08, 12:03
I'm not sure - I'll see if there's anything around and if not keep a note of another thing we need to put together and publish. I expect our flood people are busy right now but will ask them when things have quietened down.