PDA

View Full Version : Cos I is new ere...

glugboat
16-09-08, 21:16
Please do forgive my forthright posts, but just to get the feel of things.

Why do people do 'clean' yotts. all polished and bristol . ?
Wots it all 'bout
I spent many years in working boats, none polishes the outside or cleans up the **** on the inside, or shines varnish or, well, you get the picture I hope. A boat is a tool to allow you to fulfil and explore. it is not, surely, a continuation of the shiney appartment of ones, how do you guys say it, swmbo ?. to heck with that. its a boat for criz sake. prior to around 50 years ago noone did clean, a bit of dusting, yes, but not show house. we seem to have a new market for show house barges. What happened to a good old working boat where the state of repair and readiness i more iportant than the shine on the teak door frame and the lack of chips on the teak n holly sole ?. Has the world gone mad or has marketting and lifestyle magazines taken over from sensibility and reasoning.
In years gone past a gentlemans yacht was a plaything for pretentious twats. Not now it seems, it would appear that anyone who owns a boat has an appearance to keep up rather than a shipshape and seaworthy approach. Obviously the men in suits rule.
Take control boys, a boat is a boat.. NOT a yacht cos the term is basterdised by the media..
Some will be buying matching fendersocks and ss anchors next. a truly interesting dicotomy

affinite
17-09-08, 08:41
I like the boat to look reasonably clean but I dont go in for daily cleaning like some folks.
My personal gripe is wasting water. Where we cruise (Greece), water can be scarce and yet all day in our home marina you can see thousands of gallons of water being sprayed onto already-clean boats - why ? In fact a couple of weeks ago we ended up staying for 3 nights in a marina in Montenegro and the boat next to us didnt move also. In fact the owner was staying ashore however each morning he turned up and sprayed a hundred gallons or so of precious fresh water over his pride and joy despite the fact that it hadnt moved - why?
Any other GOMs out there want to join in?

nathanlee
17-09-08, 17:23
Same reason people mow their lawn, or get their windows cleaned or clean their house at all.

I worked in a bike shop, the mechanics shed had a "kitchen" in it. It was disgusting.

In fact, your question is a bit daft, isn't it?

It's akin to saying, I work in a JCB, and it's covered in mud and split tea in the cabin, I don't get why that bloke bothers cleaning his Rolls Royce. makes no sense.

glugboat
17-09-08, 18:21
Hello Nathan
Many thanks for the candid reply.
It is an interesting analogy you speak off. a rolls to a jcb. ?
Why on earth should the rolls be clean and the jcb have spilt tea as you suggest ?
Is that not indicative of differing perceptions of ones value of the product you use ?
A jcb is a tool, a rolls is simply a fashion statement, and an overpriced one at that. If one continues your analogy then there are people who use the tool and those that sit in them and pose or try to elicit reactions of envy from others but could not, in their wildest dreams, dig a hole to save their lives.
My point exactly.
/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JamesFrance
17-09-08, 19:08
When I was in business I had a few JCBs and then I had a fancy car, rather than the Clio we use now.

The answer is simple, the bloke in the JCB is an employee and the Rolls driver has pride of ownership.

If you see an owner operated JCB you could probably eat your meal from it's interior with no worries.

nathanlee
18-09-08, 09:21
Glugboat,

I was continuing your analogy of workboats. You can't say a work boat is more seaworthy than a well looked after yacht just because nobody bothers to look after it. It's a logical fallacy.

To answer your first question..

"Why on earth should the rolls be clean and the jcb have spilt tea as you suggest ?"

I think I'll resort to quoting you.

"I spent many years in working boats, none polishes the outside or cleans up the **** on the inside, or shines varnish"

There's also absolutely nothing pretentious about taking pride in ones possessions, especially a boat where keeping it clean has advantages above and beyond just looking proper. Scrub the hull and remove weed and growth and you go faster, keep the cabin tidy and you can find everything when you need it, and not trip over junk. Keep the sheets and lines in the cockpit tidy and you're going to have a much easier time sailing the boat.

Your point was not well thought through. Your argument is essentially non existent, but do feel free to continue flogging a dead horse.

All the best,

Nath

ccscott49
18-09-08, 09:33
Well, I believe a clean ship is an efficient one, where you are not tripping over lines and ****. You say working boats are full of **** and rubbish?? Not on the working vessels I've worked/been on!! You may be talking fishing boats, lets not get mixed up here.
I keep my boat as tidy and clean as possible, easier that way.
Is there really a reason to live in a pig sty?
Yes, my vessel is a yacht, you could call it a "gentlemans yacht" but I am anything but a pretentious ****, as you would find out if you ever meet me! Try going elsewhwere and stir up the ****, please.

glugboat
18-09-08, 13:32
Englander
Interesting reply, I didnt say you were a pretentious ****, I said people who want a showhouse instead of a boat generaly are.
Unless Bain produced a showhouse ?. I dont know.
I have nothing against people who want to have a waterside apartment home from home, but that is not a boat, or yott really. But, unfortuantely, that is the way the market is going, from the candelabra at the boatshows to the coordinated fender socks to colour matched string. I am not saying one should pour old english tea over the interior of the boat, or not clean up, just simply that a highly polished gizmo is not indicative of seaworthyness, which, of course, you know. It is also fine for people to have a social circle of likeminded tidy folk who like nothing more to compare the best drinks cabinet or shine on the imitation teak and holly sole. Each to their own of course. To say you have a gentlemans yacht is a little bit worrying as you seem to have a misguided understanding of the term as originally applied to the people with crew and gin and tonics on the veranda follwing a keep up with the Jones' phylosophy. People like that are often adept at polishing and preparing nibbles and the odd potluck for the weekly getogether but totally inept at fixing anything that goes wrong.
Happy days

mandlmaunder
18-09-08, 13:32
I am a carpenter and will always keep my working area as clean as possible if for no other reason than safety.
I/We live on our cat full time and we keep it clean for many reasons ,yes SWMBO does like a clean boat she also liked a clean house, imo that is not a bad thing .
But if you are happy to live and work in unclean enviroments that is your choice but dont belittle people who are not.

Are you single by any chance?

glugboat
19-09-08, 12:32
Hi Englander
No offence meant. In fact, since we last had a drink together, I really like what you have done with the forward interior. Looks great.
Well done you guys.
Glug /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

ccscott49
19-09-08, 16:43
Who the hell are you!!

grumpygit
22-09-08, 18:50
This is turning into a nice little bun fight ain't it ! I am not a spit and polish person but we do like a clean and tidy ship. I would say it boils down to a sense of pride and protecting ones investment. But agree to the waste of water, wash to remove the salt from a heavy sail or when it's filthy. A lot of Marina's are stopping excessive use of water for boat cleaning and justifiably so, I think Spain especially. We have teak decks ( that's another bun fight topic ) so sea water is fine for that and the rest can be done with a bucket/s of fresh and a wipe down with a chamois. Below decks comes under domestic and not my domain, but it is kept clean and tidy with pride and that's fine by me. I certainaly don't want a "sh one t" tip up or down below decks. Maybe Glugboat should have used Devils Accomplice as a username ! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Grehan
22-09-08, 19:02
[ QUOTE ]
Who the hell are you!!

[/ QUOTE ] http://images1.fanpop.com/images/photos/1300000/Troll-Doll-troll-dolls-1353693-396-566.jpg
could be . . .
or maybe
http://www.hulgerisation.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/wind-up-lamp01.jpg
/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif