PDA

View Full Version : Live aboard get togethers

mandlmaunder
08-12-08, 17:46
If as some on here say , there is no feeling of comunity in your area or marina why not organise an evening for cards or dominos or book/film swaps and the favorite american get together "a pot luck" bring n eat .
Put a notice on the board n invite all n sundry, you will be surprised how quickly a sense of comunity will develope!
Good luck and have fun with your neibours(sp).
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

damo
08-12-08, 17:48
Trouble is I have no wish to spend an evening with my nearest liveaboard neighbours /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

prescott56
08-12-08, 19:38
no community here..there is only 2 of us liveaboard, in 640 berths.... :-(
regards
Roy

ribrage
09-12-08, 08:17
Isn't that the trouble with marinas though ? They seem a alot less sociable than they used to, maybe because everyones in a rush . There are a few people that stop and chat, but the vast majority struggle to make eye contact... hey maybe its me.

jeeze all these years of thinking it was them ....maybe it was me all along, maybe no one actually WANTS to stop and chat to me..... now i am depressed, as if christmas looming wasnt enough , pass me the pills /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

coincidentally i was told the marina im in doesnt want any christmas or new year parties on board the boats and was actively stopping short stays from known party animals over that period..... boring.

on the bright side that ******** that tied his dog to the pontoon cleat for "walkies" wont be in !

Jock89
09-12-08, 17:56
Hi ribrage,

"coincidentally i was told the marina im in doesnt want any christmas or new year parties on board the boats and was actively stopping short stays from known party animals over that period..... boring."

No dogs, no Xmas parties, Jeez, what next.? When I read your post I almost exploded.!
Where I am, I've heard that on-board BBQs are banned too.

I may be new to marina-life, but FFS, who the hell are these people to dictate how we live.?
There are NO rowdies around here!!!-it's pretty much 'sleepy hollow' & could do with some excitement-what possible harm could there be in having a 'braai' on the boat.?
If I want to have a quiet BBQ on my boat with some of the liveaboards here I'll damn well have one.!
Makes me mad to hear stuff like this.!

Right, I'm finished, I'm cool....
Jock

damo
09-12-08, 23:05
Couple of points to bear in mind - bbq's cause a lot of complaints, apart from fire-hazard, which is why marinas don't like them. (Although some staff have been known to turn a blind eye /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

And where you are there are some notorious local residents who give the management a lot of grief about noise.

So we'd best not whoop it up too much on Friday /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

mandlmaunder
10-12-08, 16:19
I never said you had to meet in the marina ,but if enough of you get together and form a corumn of happy locals you can make your wishes known to the staff at the marina, if 1 person complains and 5 say it was OK then maybe the squeeky wheel neighbor wil become the 1 that the marina tell to shut up, n live and let live.
Just a thought.
By the way when we were in haslar they said a similar thing about xmas n new year, but the staff that worked those nights were very happy when 'just by chance' we and several other live aboards turned up at the offices with booze n food to share!
/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

damo
14-12-08, 10:10
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif That's the trouble with Xmas/New Year when I'm on duty, or patrolling pontoons on a summer's evening - the friendly and generous customers who offer drinks! Apart from being against company policy, it makes it very difficult to get through the rest of a night shift and stay alert. Allegedly.

Like most situations though, it is inconsideration that causes the trouble. Noone should object to parties or bbq's etc, but loud music and shouting at 0200 is a pain to everyone else, and a smokey bbq on the next boat upwind is also a bit antisocial. (And as for the pl*nkers who used an instant bbq on the pontoon decking so their decks wouldn't get burnt.... /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif )

Anonymous
14-12-08, 11:48
[ QUOTE ]
(And as for the pl*nkers who used an instant bbq on the pontoon decking so their decks wouldn't get burnt.... /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]Bet their decks DIDN'T get burnt, tho'? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

damo
14-12-08, 12:02
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/SnowPetrel/bart.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

petulantchild
07-01-09, 11:43
good bart