PDA

View Full Version : Stockholm Tar

michaelchapman
24-01-09, 19:06
This think this is Stockholm Tar:- Dechathlon Link (http://www.decathlon.fr/FR/goudron-de-norvege-1661458/)
Can anyone advise me?

I am looking for somewhere to get Stockholm Tar in France and if this is it is will be very convenient as there is a big Decathlon store near me.

monkey_trousers
24-01-09, 20:18
you might struggle to find it in France. Its about to get banned across the EU from 2010. Banned since 2006 in some countries already

also know in some european countries as pine tar

Seagreen
24-01-09, 20:38
[ QUOTE ]
Its about to get banned across the EU from 2010. Banned since 2006 in some countries

[/ QUOTE ]

For gawd's sakes why? Is there some spurious link with cancer or is this another example of Eurocrats banning something harmless to make themselves look tough?

/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Does this mean tarred marlin will become extinct? /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

michaelchapman
24-01-09, 20:58
Found this on tradboats.com
[ QUOTE ]

Genuine Pine Tar (Stockholm Tar)

This is no longer a banned product. Due to the hue and cry of our Baltic friends who have treated the roofs of their churches and museums ( they being wooden tiles) those chaps in suits in Brussels have had to back off. Not that we as Brits made any real noises(Probably because there is no money in it) However we can still use it and for that I thank our Baltic friends who made all the running.

[/ QUOTE ]

But what I asked is, is the Goudron de Norvege the same stuff as Stockholm Tar?

DownWest
24-01-09, 22:35
Have a look here. www.alabordage.fr (http://www.alabordage.fr) I think you are right about the tar from your local store.
A
Nice people, not cheap, but hey this is France!

Peterduck
24-01-09, 23:28
Can you open the lid, or does it have one of those annoying locking rings that so many plastic-capped bottles and jars have? Nothing approaches the rich, pungent aroma of Stockholm Tar. If I could buy an after-shave with that aroma, it would make shaving a worthwhile proposition!
Peter.

michaelchapman
24-01-09, 23:40
Can anybody tell me what the real practical difference is between Linseed oil and boiled Linseed oil? As far as I can tell it is just drying time. Here in the supermarket they have something called "siccatif" to add to linseed oil to make it harden.

Doesn't Linseed oil on its own eventually dry anyway?

I am thinking of using a mixture of linseed oil and Stockholm tar (this pine tar stuff I found see OP), for putting on my standing rigging for protection.

monkey_trousers
25-01-09, 00:56
[ QUOTE ]

For gawd's sakes why? Is there some spurious link with cancer or is this another example of Eurocrats banning something harmless to make themselves look tough?

[/ QUOTE ]

yup got it in one

something like 3 parts per million of benzopyrene which is a known carcinogen

which is still way less than you get in a cars exhaust fumes but hey ho, its great being fecking european

some stuff about it in:
http://www.woodenboat-digital.com/woodenboat/20070708/?pg=38

Seagreen
25-01-09, 01:30
Apparently, a ball of tarred marlin will kill off spores of mould in a cabin of a laid-up boat. Should have tried that one in November...
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Peterduck
25-01-09, 21:05
In practical terms, I've never figured that one out either. The usual stuff to make linseed oil harden is called Terebine, or Japan Driers. This 'Siccatif' may be a brand name for the same thing. I slushed my galvanised standing rigging with the same concoction, except that I put some turpentine with it to make it thinner. My reasoning was that it would occupy the tiny interstices between the strands inside the rope and prevent any salty water getting in there and corroding the wire from the inside.
Peter.

TamarMike
25-01-09, 23:54
If I recall correctly it had been banned as a preservative as no-one had carried out all the tests and red tape required to prove preservatives are safe, but then the Scandinavians set out to prove it fails to preserve wood anyway so can be regarded as a decorative coating. All despite IIRC the Italians have it approved as a food ingredient for licorice or something. In any case can still be bought from horsey shops (for their hooves or something)

monkey_trousers
26-01-09, 00:22
[ QUOTE ]
In any case can still be bought from horsey shops (for their hooves or something)

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, stockholm tar from horsey people about a fiver for a small tub (1kg) add the word marine and got to your favourite(!) chandlers, £15 or there abouts

or find a farm supplier, and buy it for 'chicken huts and chickens legs' (not sure why they paint it on chickens' legs), probably be loads cheaper again

cliffordpope
26-01-09, 10:05
You can buy it here, for example:

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?number=STO5

Farm suppliers sell it, often in big tubs. It is the traditional, and still used all-purpose treatment for wounds, mites, nits, infected hooves, etc.
Works well on athletes foot. I was prescribed it once for a swollen knee.

Seagreen
26-01-09, 13:20
Fantastic. That's me off to Mole Valley farmers, then.
/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cliffordpope
27-01-09, 08:32
I remember reading an explanation of the saying about spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar.
Apparently originally it was "sheep" not "ship", a dialect variant. A halfpenny's worth of tar wouldn't go far on a ship, but might save a sheep from foot-rot.

gromme
27-01-09, 09:32
The equivalent of Stockholm Tar in France is probably named Goudron de Norvege.
It is for sale with l'Abordage in La Rochelle and I received a 5 liter gallon last week

Rgds + good luck
Rob Grommé

BlueLancer
27-01-09, 14:51
Try any decent equestrian supplier, stockholm tar is used as part of hoof oil for horse's feet . I really must try less expesive interests than horses and classic motor boats!!!. yours aye
steve tock

Ellinor
31-01-09, 19:57
The main distributor of Stockholm Tar in Sweden is Claessons in Gothenburg. Unfortenualty their website is only in swedish http://www.claessons.com/nyheter.asp but You may contact them on info@claessons.se and see if they know any dealers in France or Europe.

Lineseed oil of the best quality come as well from Scandinavia, due to the climate for the plants. They give the best oil in a more cold climate.

For surface work, only use boiled (kokt linolja) oil of good quality. The lineseed oil does not dry it oxidates so it is nessecary to keep a good ventilation. Be VERY carefully with sicccative and other unnatural ingredients. Just a few drops can stop the oxidation totaly.

Ocean Hound
07-02-09, 22:23
Try your local equine supplies store or a general agricultural/farming merchants outlet. Its where I get it from in the UK and is used for treatment of hooves amongst it's many other uses. I use it on my teak decks diluted with Linseed oil and paraffin, works a treat and does not stain too dark.

Wansworth
10-02-09, 16:36
Yes we used it for disinfecting piggies ,cannot remember what bit or why,but it was Stockholm tar