PDA

View Full Version : Getting mud off antifouling

Cantata
02-03-09, 14:38
Here's one for mud-berthers.
As you'll all know, I expect, a boat in a mud berth acquires a hard thin coating of mud, almost like a shellac, on the areas that contact the mud.
If like me you persevere with antifouling, you have to remove this coating really before re-coating with anti-foul. For me this is usually done by scraping then finishing off with coarse wet-and-dry used wet. Horrible job, especially with a bilge-keeler.
Today I've been experimenting with another method that someone told me - make up a mix of B&Q Brick Cleaner and wallpaper paste, slap it on, agitate it a bit with a scourer and hose off. It does work, but not as well as I'd hoped. Also not nice, brick cleaner being a strong solution of hydrochloric acid I think.
What do others do? Any secret short cuts you could share?
Don't tell me it's a waste of time and money using antifouling in a mud berth, I know that already.

Seakindly
02-03-09, 23:20
Ah ha -someone told me that about B&Q brick cleaner in the same yard but my solution was better. Three broke teenagers saving up for inter-railing - and a brace of nylon scritchies. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Glayva
03-03-09, 09:25
Not mud, but I'm having the same problem with slime this year. I made the mistake last year of using Flag Copperquick* as a long term solution to having a relative clean bottom. Not only was it completely useless as anything but a home for barnacles and weed for some reason the slime that is left when I have taken all the barnacles and weed off is sticking like faeces to a blanket.

The only thing that seems to work for me is stainless steel wool in water. But make sure you wipe it off again with a rag while it is loose and wet or it will just stick again as it dries.

*I contacted Flag and asked what I was doing wrong and they said they couldn't get the Copper Oxide to suspend in PTFE so used straight copper - or that's what I think they said. I must admit despite taking my plastic boat to the Azores last year I didn't have any problems with the Terado Worm - so it does do something. HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif