PDA

View Full Version : No Regrets 'Sentimental Journey' April '09

No Regrets
31-03-09, 21:53
As we have a few days off during April, we have decided to take the new No Regrets upstream to the spritual home of her namesake, and to our old stretch of the River at Sonning.

Now rather nicely, this coincides with the Bray CC fitting out cruise, and rather aptly an evening soiree at Sonning Mill with a Doris Day tribute called 'A Sentimental journey'!

Our proposed itinery is as follows...

Wed 8th April. Arrive at Bray, Fuel up, Pump out and undergo mechanical check, depart and arrive for afternoon mooring at Cookham. We shall take a good look around, and stay overnight.

Thursday: Depart Cookham, head up to Reading, moor up at Tesco's, or perhaps T&K (Keeping an eye out for the more nefarious 'Upper Thames Stevens Massive, of course!)

Friday: Depart Reading with what little posessions we have, walking in a Westerly direction towards a very dodgy area known as 'The Beetle and Wedge' trying to avoid the Narrow boats which are so welcomed by the locals.

Saturday: Swiftly drifting downstream again, having lost both engines to the local Pirates in a carefully mocked up EA patrol boat, we should make Sonning Mill by sundown, to the BCC event.

Sunday: Further drifting downstream, and back to Bray, and home, because my work starts at 7PM.

I may see a few of you on the way /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

No Regrets
02-04-09, 15:59
OK, the final 'Definitely-maybe' plan is as follows!

Would any knowledgable persons be so kind as to tell me if I have made any gross miscalculations in travelling time, as I have used the lock-distances website to estimate real-world times!

WED 8th. (Midday)

Depart Bray Marina. 4.5 hours to Hambledon.

THU 9th. (09:00)

Depart Hambledon. 4.5 hours to Pangbourne for lunch.
Depart 14:30, 4 hours to Days lock.

FRI 10th (08:30)

Depart Days lock, 4.5 hours to OSNEY (turn point)
Depart Osney 14:30 head for Beetle & Wedge (5 hours)

SAT 11th: (08:30)

Depart Moulsford head for Sonning.

Any major problems with this lot please Gents? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

No Regrets
05-04-09, 16:47
OK, I'll just head upstream and see how far we get then /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

boatone
05-04-09, 17:03
[ QUOTE ]
OK, I'll just head upstream and see how far we get then /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno why you're confused. Heading upriver until you feel its time to turn round has certainly become my preferred itinerary in recent years.

I have a feeling your plan to do Osney and back is a tad ambitious in the time available and certainly not conducive to a leisurely break.

I remember doing Lechlade and back in a fortnight from the River Wey some years ago - we managed it but definitely at the expense of lingering awhile.....

No Regrets
05-04-09, 17:13
[ QUOTE ]
I have a feeling your plan to do Osney and back is a tad ambitious in the time available and certainly not conducive to a leisurely break.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect, thanks for that, I'll amend my itinery to your suggestion /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

apollo
05-04-09, 17:45
Agree with Tony, it can be done but relaxing it aint.

We tend to like to travel for a day, then stop a day etc etc so in your case would probably spend a leisure day around Pangourne/Goring then back again.

No Regrets
07-04-09, 21:15
We shall be commencing, in a leisurely fashion, tomorrow at Midday.

Anybody who catches up with us is welcome to come aboard for a good drink or three /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif