PDA

View Full Version : Blonde trying to connect gps to radio

bimble
18-05-09, 22:22
<span style="color:pink"> </span> Hello -
I am have a cobra f55 radio and an old garmin gps 12 - I want to link the 2. The radio has a gps lead that has a mini jack (like for an mp3) on one end and bare wires on the other (one black and one red). The gps has a socket in the back with 4 pins in it.
Can I buy a plug or can i connect them direct.
4 things that might help the reply - I'm young, blonde and female - and a school mate reckons I'm not supposed to understand!!

Thanks Mel

Spyro
18-05-09, 22:38
Yes you can get a plug. 2 pins are for power 2 for NMEA output.
http://www.lynks.co.uk/ Will make you a plug with bare wires on it which you can connect to your existing bare wires from the radio. They are very reasonable and helpful if you give them a call.
No connection just a satisfied customer etc, etc,

foeu
18-05-09, 22:40
http://www.gpsw.co.uk/ProdImg/prod1652c.jpg
You will need a power/data cable for the Garmin.
Then from the Cobra manual...
2. Bond the NMEA out negative wire to the black
wire of the GPS interface cable.
3. Bond the NMEA out positive wire to the red
wire of the GPS interface cable

bimble
18-05-09, 22:43
so far so good - I am hoping to stuff my physics friend

Thanks

mel

FullCircle
18-05-09, 22:45
Here is the URL for the Garmon 12 manual. Go to page 57.

Brown is NMEA out to your NMEA in on the Cobra, from the 4 pin plug on the Garmin
Black is ground.

Splice them in

You can t do too much damage as it only carries data. But not if you hook up the red power lead of course.

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/GPS12_OwnersManual.pdf

bimble
18-05-09, 22:51
[ QUOTE ]
Here is the URL for the Garmon 12 manual. Go to page 57.

Brown is NMEA out to your NMEA in on the Cobra, from the 4 pin plug on the Garmin
Black is ground.

Splice them in

You can t do too much damage as it only carries data. But not if you hook up the red power lead of course.

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/GPS12_OwnersManual.pdf

[/ QUOTE ]

would that be red to red and black to brown

FullCircle
18-05-09, 22:55
No.

Red is power( 12v) into the GPS.
Black is ground (for both power and nmea screen)

Brown is nmea data out of your GPS. Then it goes into the Cobra and, obviously, becomes nmea data in.

White is data in, for transferring data into the GPS, like waypoints from your PC.

foeu
18-05-09, 22:59
So it's Brown to Red and Black to Black.

bimble
18-05-09, 23:02
ok think I've got it
melody

bimble
18-05-09, 23:04
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And definatly got that one thanks

MrCramp
19-05-09, 01:02
That was an excellent explanation

BUT

Have you never been out with a Blonde??

dylan abviously has! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

affinite
19-05-09, 08:41
I think this is a test to see who will break ranks first and offer to go and help the "young blonde female" with her connectivity problems /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

AliM
19-05-09, 08:44
Don't encourage them - they are misogynist enough as it is (and yes, I'm blonde and female too, though I can't really claim to be young)

Welcome to the forum, though. Most people are really helpful and nice, but don't let the misogyny get to you.

Ali

thalassa
19-05-09, 09:02
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And definatly got that one thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
...and don't forget to set the Garmin 12 output to NMEA/NMEA...

MrCramp
19-05-09, 09:07
As the young lady has mentioned her "school mate" I don't think that offering to go meet her would be appropriate!

AliM
Just because there are loads of blokes on this forum it dosn't mean that we don't know when to be on our best behaviour.

wotayottie
19-05-09, 09:19
has nobody yet explained to you that being young, blond and female means you dont use a soldering iron to do such jobs or indeed any tools to do any jobs, but instead any of a large selection of passing young men. Thats the natural order of things. You worry about soldering irons when you are old , grey and (dare I say it?) past it.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bimble
19-05-09, 10:20
If you've got it flaunt it - I am fairly happy with soldering and it would be sooooo good to show off to one guy who thinks he knows everything electronic other than answer questions.

I'm happy with the blonde image - can be useful thanks for the 'gentlemanly help!!

X Melody

simonfraser
19-05-09, 13:58
just dont burn your fingas when you're holding that hot rod.

billcole
19-05-09, 17:28
Apart from the soldering the other thing that you need to get right is to make sure the Garmin is outputing data in the right format. Go to the interface menu and make sure its output is set to NMEA, not NONE or GRMN. NONE obviously won't get you far, and GRMN is Garmin's own language that other kit won't understand.

billcole
19-05-09, 17:31
Doh...Sorry, just noticed that same point at the bottom of Thalassa's post

bimble
19-05-09, 18:48
[ QUOTE ]
Doh...Sorry, just noticed that same point at the bottom of Thalassa's post

[/ QUOTE ]

<span style="color:pink"> </span> And I'm the blonde one lol thank you for taking the time cos that would have got me /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

bimble
19-05-09, 18:52
[ QUOTE ]
Yes you can get a plug. 2 pins are for power 2 for NMEA output.
http://www.lynks.co.uk/ Will make you a plug with bare wires on it which you can connect to your existing bare wires from the radio. They are very reasonable and helpful if you give them a call.
No connection just a satisfied customer etc, etc,

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you - I've asked my dad if he can get a lead from them - he said they were dead helpful - he thinks I'm nuts with an old boat but I know he is proud of me too

Melody

Troubadour
19-05-09, 20:35
You can buy the plug to go straight onto your existing cable at 6.50 for 2 plugs, see http://www.pfranc.com/cgi-bin/pub/c_uk but they are not awfully easy to fit. Maybe you have smaller fingers than me - would make it easier!
Mike

bimble
10-06-09, 21:33
Yay - the blonde kid did it - on her own - yes solder, right wires the lot.

Thank you very very much

Mel