PDA

View Full Version : Seagulls and alka-seltzer?

Judders
22-05-09, 12:23
[ QUOTE ]
"I'm trying to find out if it's true what they say about seagulls and alka-seltzer"

[/ QUOTE ]

What do they say about Seagulls and alka-seltzer?

Dyflin
22-05-09, 12:25
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"I'm trying to find out if it's true what they say about seagulls and alka-seltzer"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Google is your friend (http://just****inggoogleit.com/) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Judders
22-05-09, 12:37
I fart in your general direction Sir.

And the question stands.

Dyflin
22-05-09, 12:48
[ QUOTE ]
I fart in your general direction Sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

Zing!

It's an urban myth (http://www.chacha.com/question/if-you-feed-a-seagull-alka~seltzer-will-it-explode)

jhr
22-05-09, 13:06
Sorry - my fault for starting this one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

About 20 years ago, Mrs jhr and I were having a beer with one of her then colleagues, who was ex-Grey Funnel Line. He claimed that he and some of his mates used to pass the time off-watch by throwing alka seltzer tablets to seagulls, and then watching them explode. The theory goes that the alkaline contents of the tablets reacts fiercely with the acid contents of the seagulls' stomachs, which expand faster than they can get it out of their systems, with inevitable consequences.

I was sceptical at the time, and asked my Old Man (ex RNVR, mainly destroyers and MTBs) if he'd ever done it; he professed ignorance. This topic has arisen on the Forum before and some Forumites claim to have witnessed it at first hand, particularly from Oil Rigs, iirc.

Never seen it myself. but I don't think the link given above amounts to conclusive proof. However, further Googling suggests that Computer says no............ (http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/217385.html)

jb2008
22-05-09, 13:11
However, they do tend to swallow things whole, so a suitably sized and appropriately fused firework might do it....

RSPB wouldn't be impressed though.

OGITD
22-05-09, 14:06
I think this stems from a substance (details withheld) available to the general public in the 1970’s, inserted into a piece of fish which the Seagull would then swallow whole. It was said that they would explode…didn’t witness this….honestly didn’t participate either….but I do know it most certainly would kill them.
A good Chemist or Pharmacist would know what kind of substance this was….but why?

jb2008
22-05-09, 14:31
I'm surprised to discover that you can still buy that...

I'm not convinced the pressure would get high enough though.

Searush
22-05-09, 14:51
My understanding was that Carbide will react in their gut to produce enough Acetelyne (sp?) to kill them. A bit like the old carbide lamps. Not sure they would actually explode tho' - unless they happened to also be smoking a *** at the time.

Kilter
22-05-09, 15:11
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a Seagull that is reluctant to start just pop an alka seltzer in the carb and bob's yer uncle! Works every time too!

choppy
22-05-09, 18:06
My cousin in law ~ from Weston claim him & his chums all proud examples of a misspent youth spent many a happy hour feeding the gulls cream crackers (mix them with water & watch) & im sure it was bicarb & watching them explode

When we have had a guano prone mooring this is the only thought that makes the scrubbing pass a little easier especially in the rain which is the only time it comes off.

You reap what you sow

oakum
22-05-09, 20:46
I've been told that dockies used to go fishing for "pompey pheasants" by flying breaded hooks on a very light line - true or not - I don't know

Nico
22-05-09, 20:58
I've caught a duck on sweetcorn. Not by choice, I might add. It was difficult to unhook. I've also caught a bat on fly. It didn't put up much of a fight.

Kawasaki
22-05-09, 22:24
[ QUOTE ]
My understanding was that Carbide will react in their gut to produce enough Acetelyne (sp?) to kill them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes, Carbide works!

Elessar
22-05-09, 23:33
at anchor off sark once, (in a very lovely sigma 36), I cooked a curry for the 3 of us on board. A sealgull came and sat on the Seagull (2hp), so, oiled with a few beers, a curry and the tranquil surroundings, I put some patak's lime piccle in a bit of bread and threw it in the sea.
The seagull swooped, ate, and reperched on the seagull engine.
After 5 seconds or so it shook its head.
After 5 more it shook its head 3 times.
After 5 more it shook its head 5 or 6 times.
Then it dived in the sea for a drink.
It didn't blow the seagull up but it made us laugh.
1997 so pre digi cam and no pics sorry. Have an old fasioned photo of the head shaking somewhere that i'll never find.

Csail
23-05-09, 06:43
Whats that stuff called that ignites when it dries out?

philmayfield
23-05-09, 10:14
That's nitrogen tri-iodide. Ah! happy schooldays!

Phil

Searush
23-05-09, 11:26
[ QUOTE ]
Whats that stuff called that ignites when it dries out?

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Don't like that idea as the inside of a seagull is damp so substance will only ignite after it is excreted & dries out - on somebody's imflammable GRP boat. Perhaps a good way of dropping small delayed action incendiaries, but rather too indiscriminate for my liking.

cliff
23-05-09, 13:00
[ QUOTE ]
That's nitrogen tri-iodide. Ah! happy schooldays!

Phil

[/ QUOTE ]Phosphorous will spontaneously combust when it dries out, Nitrogen Tri-iodide does not. NI3 needs something to set it off such as friction or impact or heat - not a lot mind you but it does need something - bit like nitroglycerin /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. The tri Bromide is even more unstable when dry and packs more "bang" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
---------------------
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/littlewetones/hammer.gif Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Alfie168
23-05-09, 18:28
I remember back in the 60s a small garage not far from RAF Dishforth had a small German incendiary bomb (Phosphorus) as the weather vane on their garage weather cock. I never asked if they had made it safe first /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Health and Safety wouldn't be happy with it near petrol pumps these days would they. Might have ignited the odd seagull though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tim