PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Claim - How long does it take?

Alchemist V274
28-05-09, 11:16
11 April - Informed GJW of Flipper's troubles
14 April - Faxed GJW claim form without any quotes
7 May - Faxed quotes to GJW
18 May - Flipper surveyed by insurers
20 May - Awaiting survey report
28 May - Claim with an examiner.

Ok the intial delay to 7 May was down to me getting quotes but how long can these things take? I want to move on now.

AIDY
28-05-09, 11:52
in my experience with GJW about a season /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif different senario though boat was broken into and stripped of electrics / winch's / safety gear. had police report etc..... GJW wanted to wait for the gear to turn up before handing over money. I ended up buying the gear myself out of my own money otherwise we would not of been on the water that season....

hope you get it sorted out quick !

pyrojames
28-05-09, 11:55
My claim against GJW's insured was settled so quickly I thought about changing my insurance to them. About 6 weeks I think, not a long time in the boat/ship insurance world.

Pye_End
28-05-09, 12:26
For my claim (rather more straightforward) I got the yes/no by phone the day I rang them to tell them of the incident (it was a yes!). Then had the work done, submitted the bill, and the cash came very quickly afterwards.

Are you waiting for the nod on the claim, or a downpayment on the work?

Alchemist V274
28-05-09, 15:33
[ QUOTE ]
Are you waiting for the nod on the claim, or a downpayment on the work?

[/ QUOTE ]
The boat will be a constructive total loss if the insurers agree to pay out, I can see from the quotes that it is an uneconomical repair if done professionally and I, despite earlier thoughts, am not prepared to spend weekend afer weekend to do it myself.

My next step depends on if I am buying another boat with what I have or insurance money plus what I have!

Crowblack
28-05-09, 16:20
Hi,

Not sure if you've seen it but there's a Hustler 30 on the Marconi web site for sale and been there a while.

There's also a charming little wooden long keeler called Almira of Rhu which seems to have had a lot of work done her - also at Marconi.

Just appeared on the sales area at Tichmarsh (Westwater Yacht Sales) is a Tamarisk long keel gaff cutter, plastic with a wooden top, looks in good nick.

No association with any of the above - just a boat watcher !

Good luck.

Alchemist V274
28-05-09, 16:27
Thanks - viewed the Hustler 30 at MSC. In my opinion the owner is being unrealistic in the price he wants for the boat. He didn't like my offer!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sixpence
28-05-09, 16:58
Any more than he would probably like an offer from me then /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Post a link to the site please, wouldn't mind having a nose

Alchemist V274
29-05-09, 07:41
This is one site she is listed on Hustler 30 (http://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/37140/)

FC might give you a view as he saw the boat with me and kept my cheque book under control! I had my rose tinted specs on again /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pye_End
29-05-09, 12:23
In that case, if it is the nod that you are waiting for then I would be tempted to phone and ask for decisions/timescales etc. Even if they don't initially talk about amount, knowing that something will be forthcoming will be a big step.

FullCircle
29-05-09, 15:07
[ QUOTE ]
This is one site she is listed on Hustler 30 (http://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/37140/)

FC might give you a view as he saw the boat with me and kept my cheque book under control! I had my rose tinted specs on again /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Leave it alone. Its about 6 grands worth - much less than the asking, and it is not tidy, and the owner is a bit quiet on certain questions.

Alchemist V274
29-05-09, 17:32
Well surprise, surprise! Letter waiting for me from GJW when I got home (despite having phoned yesterday to be told there was no decision!)

Insurers are saying that technically the boat is a total constructive loss as repairs cannot be effected within the sum insured. However as the boat is totally repairable they have made the point that the repair will be 'betterment' and offered me about 70% of the insured value. Think I am quite pleased with that.

All I need to do now is flog the hull, mast , sails, engine etc for whatever I can get and someone with the time and inclination will get a very nice boat.

Advert on Boats and Outboards and think will try e-bay too.

Lazy Kipper
29-05-09, 21:38
Congratulations- I think 70% is a very good result when they could have spent a long time arguing latent defect - Sounds like a real result.