PDA

View Full Version : extension cable for windlass remote control?

lille_bee
19-07-09, 23:33
Does anyone know whether it might be possible/feasible to use some sort of an "extension cable" to my windlass remote, to allow me to reach those extra 3 or 4 metres to the cockpit without having to install a permanent cockpit control unit or a wireless one?
Would it be as simple as finding a length of wire & attaching a 3-pin male plug to one end and a matching female socket at the other end?

Tranona
19-07-09, 23:59
Can be done with a curly lead. However, not sure I would want a lead going back to the cockpit. Better off with a wireless remote that you can use anywhere on the boat. I got mine from Coastline Technology www.coastlinetechnology.com, but Vetus do them as well.

lille_bee
20-07-09, 01:25
Lille Bee is a centre-cockpit Moody 422, so her cockpit isn't that far back... and we're only talking fair-weather sailing in the med, in summer, so I'd like to try the "curly lead" -option, before splashing out 175 for a wireless kit! Thanks for the links, by the way!

billcole
22-07-09, 16:52
I've just installed a remote extension for my Quick Crystal windlass using 6 amp rated 3 core mains flex. Quick use 9 way Bulgin Buccaneer plugs and sockets for their remotes, so I got an extra socket from cpc.co.uk and connected it in parallel with the existing socket using the aforementioned 6 amp cable. The existing socket was just inside the forehatch, and i've added the extra one next to the engine control panel in the cockpit of my First 305, so the cable run is about 10-11 metres (I bought 12m and was able to cut a bit of the spare off when I reached the cockpit end). The installation seems to work fine, with no voltage drop problems ( the relay control box is still next to the original socket under the foredeck). I just plug the remote handset in to whichever socket I want to use.

I'm intending to add a simple switch next to, and in parallel with, the cockpit socket later ( this will just be a non latchling single pole, double throw, centre off toggle switch ) so that control is still possible from the cockpit even if the remote is on the foredeck.

Anonymous
22-07-09, 20:17
Lille Bee is a centre-cockpit Moody 422, so her cockpit isn't that far back... and we're only talking fair-weather sailing in the med, in summer, so I'd like to try the "curly lead" -option, before splashing out 175 for a wireless kit! Thanks for the links, by the way!

Nothing is easy or cheap when it comes to electrics on boats. I installed the Lofrans wireless three years ago and am fairly pleased. The battery tends to die without warning and there are 8 or more instrument-sized pozis needed to change the battery so not something you do in the middle of the night in lumpy conditions! But that aside, I am sure that the wireless is more convenient and useful than any cable ever could be. Remember the cost of waterproof sockets, solenoids, etc., when costing the project.

tri39
26-07-09, 21:34
of windinglass is wonderful. It,s only a few metres of red and black and a three way switch.
In fact I often use both when helping the rope chain transition! Done it twice today: