PDA

View Full Version : where to stop above reading

funinthesun
17-08-09, 08:59
Morning all,

Taking the family on the thames tomorrow, hoping to stop at Medmenham first night, then push on wednesday or thursday past Reading. We havn't got passed sonning yet, so any tips for a decent mooring would be apreciated. It is our intention to be home for Friday or Saturday...

p.s. do the shops/pubs etc open all day once past Reading and do the locals talk like farmers????

Brayman
17-08-09, 11:26
Morning all,

Taking the family on the thames tomorrow, hoping to stop at Medmenham first night, then push on wednesday or thursday past Reading. We havn't got passed sonning yet, so any tips for a decent mooring would be apreciated. It is our intention to be home for Friday or Saturday...

p.s. do the shops/pubs etc open all day once past Reading and do the locals talk like farmers????

The first obvious place above Reading is Pangbourne, followed by Beale Park and Goring. Pubs, restaurants and shops at both Pangbourne and Goring but nothing at Beale Park unless you fancy a hike to Basildon, but even then there's only one shop and one pub, if they are still open!

Steve_Jones
17-08-09, 11:36

Arrrrr, that we do

funinthesun
17-08-09, 13:12
Any decent free moorings?

Steve_Jones
17-08-09, 13:39
Arrrr, if 'e don't mind sharing a meadow wi' me old cow Daisy. Just y'mind that y'don't mess wi' me daughter or oi'll be after you wi' me trusty shotgun. Arrrr!!

funinthesun
17-08-09, 13:48
perhaps i will head the other way!!! Unless a jug of cider might calm 'ye' down...

Steve_Jones
17-08-09, 14:05
perhaps i will head the other way!!!

Sounds like an excellent proposition!!

TrueBlue
17-08-09, 15:26
Any decent free moorings?
you have chosen to stop at PayToMoor sites.

Medmenham is 6, and a delightful place of you have kids to rush around and / or barbecue.

I prefer below Henley for the same money.

Above Henley then Wargrave (nearside), and the islands above Shiplake or beyond them on the run up to Sonning on the offside.
But I assume you know all those already.

Above Reading, then for me a small patch (nearside) a short distance above Mapledurham lock.

I have seen boats moored between Reading Bridge and Tilehurst, but have always believed it to be a no go area (anyone know better). Reading Festival is coming up (dunno when it is), so it might be full or not a good idea.

Then you have Pangbourne and Beale Park as mentioned by others.

Nothing until Goring - can be quite a squash on the EA moorings. Above Goring its shallow and a fee is charged.
Nothing again until you approach Byron's, then a choice up to Wallingford - if you're going that far.

Brayman
17-08-09, 16:10
Reading Festival is Bank Holiday weekend, they're setting it up now.

Pangbourne, Beale and Goring are all free and popular mooring places.

Steve Clayton
17-08-09, 21:18
A couple of others;

as mentioned; above Mapledurham lock; starboard side; a couple of free moorings.

We used to forego Pangbourne Meadows on the portside; look starboard just above the moorings and the boathouse and look for a spot amongst the willows - a small fee payable.

Before you enter Goring; under the bridge and the river turns right ; see the big house on the left and you can moor opposite (free) on the right.

Just below and above Cleeve lock are some moorings

(Don't try and moor on the starboard side opposite the Beetle & Wedge; there is a mad bugger who will shout at you and make you go away)

A bit further up; opposite Freemans (but do call in and have an ice-cream).

Various free moorings betwixt this point and Wallingford - but beware as you get closer to Wallingford as there is a rowing club whose support boats enjoy creating great wash and have powerful loudhailers that they enjoy using at high volume early in the morning. (they pass you one way and then 10 minutes later - when they have turned round...)

pheran
17-08-09, 21:23
(Don't try and moor on the starboard side opposite the Beetle & Wedge; there is a mad bugger who will shout at you and make you go away)

Thats a bit harsh. It only ever happens when the nurse forgets to give him his medication! :)

Steve Clayton
17-08-09, 21:33
Thats a bit harsh. It only ever happens when the nurse forgets to give him his medication! :)

Whilst Byron is playing host to a ditch crawl from Osney Marina on the August BHW (my Freeman is berthed there) sadly I can't make it as I'll be sailing elsewhere.

byron
18-08-09, 02:25

You forgot to mention the rabid vicious hound that accompanies me everywhere.

oldgit
18-08-09, 07:31
"rabid vicious hound"

the dogs OK.... its the old geezer in the John Deere hat you have to watch.....

ianc1200
18-08-09, 08:03
"Above Reading, then for me a small patch (nearside) a short distance above Mapledurham lock."
Anybody tried one of the two small spots opposite, just below the small island? Every now and then I've noticed somebody there.
re "We used to forego Pangbourne Meadows on the portside; look starboard just above the moorings and the boathouse and look for a spot amongst the willows - a small fee payable."; Steve, do you mean below (not above)? If above, is this between the bridge and the weir?
We've stopped a couple of times just above the Thame mouth, usually fairly empty compared with the moorings above Days. Years ago quite a few boats would go into the Thame and moor on the first few bends, but haven't noticed anybody doing so recently.

IanC

IanC

Steve Clayton
18-08-09, 12:04
Anybody tried one of the two small spots opposite, just below the small island? Every now and then I've noticed somebody there.

I've not moored there (on port) as one of the two/three spots on starboard have always been free.

re "We used to forego Pangbourne Meadows on the portside; look starboard just above the moorings and the boathouse and look for a spot amongst the willows - a small fee payable."; Steve, do you mean below (not above)? If above, is this between the bridge and the weir?

Below; a couple of hundred yards before P Meadow is a boathouse and a few riverside (permanent berth) moorings. Just above is the start of the "willowy" stretch which we used to enjoy. Quiz question; what creature can you see - on the water on a sunny day -towards the top end of Pangbourne Meadow on the starboard side of the river (not LLamas!)

We've stopped a couple of times just above the Thame mouth, usually fairly empty compared with the moorings above Days. Years ago quite a few boats would go into the Thame and moor on the first few bends, but haven't noticed anybody doing so recently.

That stretch is pretty good to moor; albeit a bit of a high bank for some boats. I think when they put the new bridge across the Thame is was built a bit lower than the original although we could still get in with out Eastwood with the windscreen down; she, (the Eastwood) is still in the moorings in the cut below Shillingford bridge on the caravan park.

Most Thames maps identify with an "M" where there is mooring. A good idea is for when you are pottering up and down then mark on your Thames maps where you see boats moored that are similar in size or bigger than yours where there is not a mooring reference so you can, with some confidence, moor in that location in the future.

Brayman
18-08-09, 13:14
Terrapins - big ones!

heron
18-08-09, 14:34
Yes, there are a few Terrapins. Ive seen them just past the boat house and also just before the bridge.
Also, the Llamas are in fact Alpacas and the farm is one of the largest Alpaca breeding places in the UK. If you ask them nicely they aslo let you moor there.

ianc1200
18-08-09, 14:39
There always used to be a couple on the corner above Whitchurch Lock on the SB side (as the river turns toward the Beale Estate) on the dead trees lying in the river.

IanC

DWT
18-08-09, 21:51
Below; a couple of hundred yards before P Meadow is a boathouse and a few riverside (permanent berth) moorings. Just above is the start of the "willowy" stretch which we used to enjoy.

One of our favourite spots. Very quiet with no towpath that side of the river. It is not obvious at first, but there is a track between the Alpaca fields to the road from where it is a pleasant walk to Whitchurch and over the bridge to Pangbourne. Last time we were there the mooring fee was 4. There do seem to be a couple of narrow boats and a large Dutch barge which have taken up permanent residence there. I assume this is with the permission of the landowner, but it reduces the number of available spaces to three or four only which is a shame.

[i]We've stopped a couple of times just above the Thame mouth, usually fairly empty compared with the moorings above Days.

Also an excellent spot. It is a short walk into Dorchester from here where there are pubs a hotel and supermarket. It is also a very attractive and interesting town. The Abbey tea roooms are particularly worth a visit. Run by the local WI for charity. Rather eccentric and very English.