PDA

View Full Version : Summer Trip - lots of pics

spinreach
12-09-09, 01:29
Have finally got around to putting pics into an album. Apologies for so many, but maybe someone recognises a boat or two.

Managed to spend 7 days on the boat taking her from Marlow to St Kats in mid August. Left on a Saturday afternoon and overnighted at Bray marina with dinner at the restaurant and then at the Teddington lock moorings with dinner at The Wharf restaurant on the Sunday. After a shot of Starbucks from Teddington High Street it was off to the tidal stretch, Monday morning.

I was a little optomistic in my passage planning with the tide against all the way, but no real problem once past Wandsworth. Managed to make the last lock in to St Kats, along with 8 other boats. Great feeling motoring through London, but need to be oh so wary of very large items of flotsam!

Spent 3 nights in St Kats, doing touristy things in London. Fantastic location and St Kats has a great buzz about it during the day but then quietened down after 10.30. Highly recommended.

Left St Kats on the Thursday. Really blowing hard and against the tide, so was very bumpy in central London so needed a few extra revs to smooth it out - much to the joy of crew.

Overnighted at Weir Hotel just upstream from Sunbury Lock. On the Friday, took advantage of the quiet river and managed to make it back to Harleyford in around 8 hours.

Irony was, there and back with no problems of fouled props or seriously embarrasing moments. Following week when moving the boat to the marina pump out berth (50m) managed to tangle a 12 foot length of 12mm rope around my port prop just as I was berthing with a side wind and made a complete hash!

All in all, a fantastic trip. SWMBO and daughter loved it (tourist and shopping break in the middle, helped a lot) and are up for going further afield next time. South coast here we come!

Oh dear, I've just checked the album works and I think I got carried away with the number of pics - hope its not too much like sitting through the mother in laws holiday snaps. Good luck.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/album.php?albumid=114

byron
12-09-09, 06:24
Nice. . . thanks!

oldgit
12-09-09, 07:08
"Really blowing hard and against the tide, so was very bumpy in central London so needed a few extra revs to smooth it out"

Nice pix there,on our trips round to the Thames,the lumpyist bits are nearly always in stretches of river above Greenwich.
Always felt that any boater worth his salt ,should include in his/her boating CV at least one trip up the river through central London.
The reach twixt Tower Bridge and the HP being about the most interesting bit of river just about anywhere.

teddington_lock
12-09-09, 15:17
Blimey ....

The picture of Teddington Lock makes it look grotty ..... :(

Glad you enjoyed your trip .

spinreach
13-09-09, 07:08
Blimey ....

The picture of Teddington Lock makes it look grotty ..... :(

Glad you enjoyed your trip .

Sorry about that, here's one with a bit more life, but not sure it improves the locks demeanour. Excellent moorings though and a very nice lock indeed.

teddington_lock
13-09-09, 14:48