PDA

View Full Version : For sale on ebay

galadriel
24-10-09, 12:24
How do the rest of you, including the mods feel about the 'for sale' forum being used as a platform for advertising items for sale on fleebay?

If I look at an item for sale on here I expect to see the price I will be asked to pay, not have to go off to some other web site and start bidding for it.

parsifal
24-10-09, 12:56
At the moment I don't mind, it doesn't happen often and so long as it's a regular forum contributor that's ok with me but if it starts to get out of hand then I would expect the moderator to put a stop to it.

Spookyfella
24-10-09, 12:58
It's useful to know, but would be improved if forumites were given a good (haggle) price, rather than it just being an advert for eeeeeebuy

SimbaDog
24-10-09, 14:13
At the moment I don't mind, it doesn't happen often and so long as it's a regular forum contributor that's ok with me but if it starts to get out of hand then I would expect the moderator to put a stop to it.

I'd go along with that

TiggerToo
24-10-09, 20:34
How do the rest of you, including the mods feel about the 'for sale' forum being used as a platform for advertising items for sale on fleebay?

If I look at an item for sale on here I expect to see the price I will be asked to pay, not have to go off to some other web site and start bidding for it.

I don't like it either

Searush
24-10-09, 21:20
I absolutely hate & detest the practice. Either sell it here where you have a chance of making a friend for life with a reasonable price, or go for max profit (or a complete fiasco) by selling it to a complete unknown on fleabay. But don't try to play both ends against the middle, trying to up the bids by implying that it is a special deal on here.

I would like to see the practice banned, or at least proscribed by guidelines as it is on the wee Jocks' coloured Webforum.

Sorry for sitting on the fence . . .:rolleyes:

moodyNick
24-10-09, 21:50
i'll sit on the same fence as you then. ;)

Paul_G
24-10-09, 22:37
what about items over the 200 limit, how do you notify forumites that the items are available

monkey_trousers
24-10-09, 22:53
I absolutely hate & detest the practice. Either sell it here where you have a chance of making a friend for life with a reasonable price, or go for max profit (or a complete fiasco) by selling it to a complete unknown on fleabay. But don't try to play both ends against the middle, trying to up the bids by implying that it is a special deal on here.

I would like to see the practice banned, or at least proscribed by guidelines as it is on the wee Jocks' coloured Webforum.

I was going to say that!

Tommyrot
25-10-09, 07:20

I agree, but what the hell is "wee Jocks' coloured Webforum"? :D

Channel Ribs
25-10-09, 07:27
what about items over the 200 limit, how do you notify forumites that the items are available

It is not uncommon to add a tasteful link to one's signature line.

alan17
25-10-09, 08:22
What is wrong is advertising goods by, or promoting a business that is trading on Ebay. I see nothing wrong with drawing forumites attention to items on Ebay that may be of interest to them. I would also comment that this is the wrong forum for this discussion! Have a rant if you will but do it in the right place!

FullCircle
25-10-09, 10:03
I agree, but what the hell is "wee Jocks' coloured Webforum"? :D

That would be the magnificent Bluemoment.com, as run by Webcraft of this parish.
A sometimes entertaining alternative to YBW

srm
25-10-09, 10:31
I use both - have offered items for sale here, then if they don't sell in a week or so move them on to eBay. Prefer to sell here as no costs involved other than when forumites prefer to pay by PayPal.

JasonClark
25-10-09, 12:20
How do the rest of you, including the mods feel about the 'for sale' forum being used as a platform for talking about items for sale ?

If I look at an item for sale on here I expect to see the item , not a conversation about Ebay or anything else for that matter. :p:D

alan17
25-10-09, 12:23
Totally agree as I indicated earlier. This is the wrong forum

SimbaDog
25-10-09, 14:52

In that case why have you made 2 posts in the thread :D

philip_stevens
25-10-09, 15:52
How do the rest of you, including the mods feel about the 'for sale' forum being used as a platform for talking about items for sale ?

If I look at an item for sale on here I expect to see the item , not a conversation about Ebay or anything else for that matter. :p:D

I do not agree. This is the correct forum to talk about items for sale, and links to ebay and whether they should be on here or not.

You only have to look at a post below, and there is another link to ebay with items for auction/sale. Why not advertise them here to start with, and, as someone else stated, if not sold within a reasonable time, put them on ebay then - not before offering them on here.

Just sold my boat so these now for sale + outboard bag

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/subarutanglewood12/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25

This forum should only be used for items for sale by members of the forums of ybw.com.

I think a poll would have been useful.

PCUK
25-10-09, 16:04
I'd like to see the 200 limit increased to something nearer 1000 as this would benefit everyone.

JasonClark
25-10-09, 16:21
I'd like to see the 200 limit increased to something nearer 1000 as this would benefit everyone.

So do I.
one Breitling SuperoceanWatch for sale, perfect nick ,12 months old, all docs including reciept from peter jackson jewellers, grab this watch for less than half price. 800 squids.

doug748
25-10-09, 18:30

Same here. If people want to phart around with auction sites then they are free to do so. Why bother us?
I like to imagine items here are offered at a modest price, Gentleman to Gentleman.:)

Tommyrot
26-10-09, 08:10
That would be the magnificent Bluemoment.com, as run by Webcraft of this parish.
A sometimes entertaining alternative to YBW

I must be getting slow in my old age, although I've not posted in a while I am a member! :D

danfoley
26-10-09, 09:04
The forum rules are that you cannot post links to other auction sites. If you do see suck links please let me know via the notify moderator link and I'll take them down.

parsifal
26-10-09, 10:04
The forum rules are that you cannot post links to other auction sites. If you do see suck links please let me know via the notify moderator link and I'll take them down.

So, for example, a link to the following would not be allowed?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=0450009322&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT1

danfoley
26-10-09, 11:10
Correct.

Madhatter
26-10-09, 12:50
So, for example, a link to the following would not be allowed?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=50009322&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Nice one !!:D

parsifal
26-10-09, 13:30
Nice one !!:D

Not a trick I can pull too often, I think :D

Anyway, it's done me no good because the item still has 0 watchers and 0 bidders. :(

alan17
26-10-09, 15:09

Does a link to Ebay include mentioning that a particular item is for sale on Ebay and quoting the item number?

parsifal
26-10-09, 16:54
Does a link to Ebay include mentioning that a particular item is for sale on Ebay and quoting the item number?

...or how about a new forum for links to eBay? To be available to bona-fide YBW forum users only.

Those who aren't interested - don't have to look at it.

robertj
26-10-09, 17:15
as soon as the ad here says its on ebay i dont bother just ignor it.
agree if selling here the sel here!!!!

bob

Tommyrot
26-10-09, 18:43
If you do see suck links please let me know via the notify moderator link and I'll take them down.

I would if I could find the link! :confused:

SimbaDog
26-10-09, 18:46
I would if I could find the link! :confused:

It's the little triangle top right of all posts!

Madhatter
26-10-09, 19:19
Same here. If people want to phart around with auction sites then they are free to do so. Why bother us?
I like to imagine items here are offered at a modest price, Gentleman to Gentleman.:)

As I am trying to get my little boat ready to sail and have been keeping a close eye on this section and have found a few items at realistic prices but an awful lot of items are overpriced , in fact some used items were more than new ( if you shop around that is ).
I have compared chandlers-ebay-here and a few other places , and have bought most items from ebay ( although you have to be very discerning and do not get involved in the excitement of an auction use a sniping tool and walk away ).
Derrick

Tommyrot
27-10-09, 16:32
It's the little triangle top right of all posts!

Thanks! I'm sure it used to be something completely different and at the bottom.... :)

hoverjumper
29-10-09, 17:36
Well I'm guilty of mentioning on here items I have listed on eBay. Sorry if this has caused offence!
I must say, I'm completely puzzled by the animosity shown towards eBay. I think its great for both buying and selling stuff and I've found some real bargains on there in the past. If I'm looking in this forum for a particular boat related widget I would certainly like to know that there happens to be said widget currently listed on eBay. I can then decide for myself whether its worthy of a bid or not. Can't see the problem with that myself!

OR4751
29-10-09, 20:52
Given the unrealistic 200 limit, links to eBay are inevitable :(

I've raised this with IPC mods in the past (even have a PM from Keith - remember him?).
No-one at IPC knows why it's 200, all agreed it should be raised, all promised to look into it. Silence is deafening. :(

As long as you're a private individual sailing spare boaty bits and bobs, anything should be allowed. Apart from maybe boats - YBW have a paying 'boats for sale' section after all.
Professionals, be it swindleries and brokers shuld be banned - let them pay for an advert.

galadriel
29-10-09, 21:42
As the OP on this thread and having now read some of the varied thoughts on the mater, I feel it right to expand on my view.

If I want to bid on something, continually reviewing my chance of success then I will go to ebay. I have sold and bought on ebay. Likewise I have also bought and sold on this forum.

If I see an item for sale here, I expect it to be less than 200, I expect it not to be 'trade' and I expect to see a price the vendor would like me to pay. I then make a choice as to whether I want to buy or not. That is not expecting much. There are other options (see above) and the vendor should make his choice.

There is one compromise that I feel would satisfy both schools of thought here, although the mods may take a different view as it still infringes the rules, and that is in the title line the words EBAY LINK should appear where that is the case, for example 'Avon dinghy (EBAY LINK)' that way, we all have a choice to either open the post and follow the link or pass the opportunity by.

monkey_trousers
29-10-09, 23:23
re: 200 limit..

the only people that it seems to worry or take offence are the odd few that immediately throw some trite comment in cos its over the limit

post and be damned perhaps if its an item over 200 quid, surely it can't be that offensive to just ignore it (a bit)

Spyro
30-10-09, 07:40
Well I'm guilty of mentioning on here items I have listed on eBay. Sorry if this has caused offence!
I must say, I'm completely puzzled by the animosity shown towards eBay. I think its great for both buying and selling stuff and I've found some real bargains on there in the past. If I'm looking in this forum for a particular boat related widget I would certainly like to know that there happens to be said widget currently listed on eBay. I can then decide for myself whether its worthy of a bid or not. Can't see the problem with that myself!

Totally agree. why have some people got it in for Ebay, if you don't like it don't use it and stop whinging about it on here.

As for the comment about "wee Jocks" I'm sure there is a law against that now.

OR4751
30-10-09, 07:43
re: 200 limit..

the only people that it seems to worry or take offence are the odd few that immediately throw some trite comment in cos its over the limit

post and be damned perhaps if its an item over 200 quid, surely it can't be that offensive to just ignore it (a bit)

Common sense you would think.

I have it in black and white from an IPC mod that IPC have no interest in actively policing the 200 limit - they only feel they have to react when the item is reported by another forumite.
On the 3 times I raised this matter with IPC, no-one knew why that limit was there and that it should be raised. So far...

As it is, the 200 limit is of no interest to anyone apart from the the brigade of sad, old curtain twitchers who seem to have made this forum their home (and I don't just mean you, Nordic Ranger)

nordic_ranger
30-10-09, 09:19
(and I don't just mean you, Nordic Ranger)

Thanks for the honorable mention. Good to see you are not holding a grudge.

OR4751
30-10-09, 11:10
Pointless to reply

This message is hidden because nordic_ranger is on your ignore list.

sailorman
30-10-09, 11:38
isn't e bay wonderful :D

Csail
30-10-09, 12:29
Well ok i'm not good as gold as you can see from my bio but it is a hobby and cheaper for you guys. Still think the selling limit should be about 1000 for stuff like outboards etc.