PDA

View Full Version : Idea for the EA

Brayman
09-11-09, 10:45
It is rumoured that th EA are looking into forcing Rowing Clubs to fit rear view mirrors as used on the Clovelly Sculler.
See here http://rowingforpleasure.blogspot.com/2009/02/rowing-clovelly-scull.html for detailed information on the facilities afforded by this novel device.

byron
09-11-09, 11:01
I have seen several boats on this stretch fitted with mirrors and I have always considered them a sensible idea. However I wonder if Rowers will be happy because there must be a certain amount of wind resistance, perhaps therefore they will be abandoned whilst racing where split seconds count. Alternatively made compulsory on all boats without a Cox thus making a level playing field (no pun intended)

Brayman
09-11-09, 11:22
Those with a cox will be fitted with periscopes because half of them aren't looking past the hulk in front of them!

DogsBody
09-11-09, 11:27
Funny you should mention this, was watching a programme on BBC1 last night and saw one of these, immediately thought it was a good idea and wondered why all rowing boats don't have them!

Brayman
09-11-09, 11:39
Funny you should mention this, was watching a programme on BBC1 last night and saw one of these, immediately thought it was a good idea and wondered why all rowing boats don't have them!

Blast you Darren, that's where I got the information from

boatone
09-11-09, 12:24
It will never catch on - doesn't fit in with the macho image requirement obligatory to all of the rowing fraternity. Bit like blokes wont be seen dead with shopping trolleys.

Saw a coxed 4 a few weeks ago where the cox was in the front of the boat facing forwards with lanyard controls for the rudder. Thought that made a lot of sense.

boatone
09-11-09, 12:41
Blast you Darren,

That really is no way to be speaking to our (possibly) next Vice-Commodore :D

Actually, If I come to the AGM could I nominate No Regrets instead?

Ramage
09-11-09, 17:41
Vice-Commode ? Must be better than being Rear- Commode.....

Can I reserve two seats at the AGM ? (Both for me, Tee Hee!).

I could add some weight to the committee if you like!