PDA

View Full Version : Summer Storage in the Northern Aegean?

RickSalsman
10-01-10, 16:56
Happy New Year:

I am looking for a sheltered and safe marina or spot to leave my boat for July and August of 2010. That time of year can be expensive and I need something that is budget friendly so costs of the low side will be helpful. We are currently wintering the boat in Marmaris and hope to head North to the Istanbul area in the spring of 2010.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks for your help
Rick
(Now home in the cold, in Canada)

skipklaus
11-01-10, 00:44
Have a look at this marina in Nea Peramos: http://manitsasmarine.com

vyv_cox
11-01-10, 09:35
Mitilini on Lesvos. Brand new marina, finished to a high standard, nobody will run it so berthing is free. Pontoon berths in the centre mostly occupied by local small boats in July 2009, wall all around with space for many boats largely empty. All boats berthed alongside when we were there, so no fouled anchor problems if leaving for extended period. Excellent shelter, convenient for shopping and ferries. Water available at times, electricity not switched on.

macd
11-01-10, 11:41
I'd echo Vyv's remarks about Mitilini, with one rider: do not be tempted to stooge into the main (N) town harbour on the way to the marina or you will be nabbed and obliged to pay harbour dues. The down-side of Mitinlini compared to a marina is the lack of security.

Farther N and W, Thessalonika marina is unusually cheap (13 euros per night for 10m boat last June), but perhaps too far from your proposed route.

Kawasaki
12-01-10, 20:55
Have a look at this marina in Nea Peramos: http://manitsasmarine.com

Yes, nipped in there last September
The town of Kavala seemed quite nice with friendly locals
Nipped across to Thassos too, nice neck of the woods!

Chris_Robb
14-01-10, 14:23
I'd echo Vyv's remarks about Mitilini, with one rider: do not be tempted to stooge into the main (N) town harbour on the way to the marina or you will be nabbed and obliged to pay harbour dues. The down-side of Mitinlini compared to a marina is the lack of security.

Farther N and W, Thessalonika marina is unusually cheap (13 euros per night for 10m boat last June), but perhaps too far from your proposed route.

My insurance (Navigators) require that the boat if left for more than 24 hours, is in a recognised Marina. Will an unmanned marina qualify for this?

RickSalsman
16-01-10, 18:36
Thanks for the information. I have messaged Manitsas to get prices and I like the general location. I agree that we need to be in a reasonably secure location with somebody watching the boat if we are away for two months. I will also message Thessaloniki, Kalamaria.
Thank your for your help
Kind regards
Rick