PDA

View Full Version : grece/Turkey

bromleybysea
27-01-10, 10:22
I am planning a charter from Kos in the last couple of weeks of July. I may want to sail to Turkey and have heard different views on the hassle involved in taking Greek register yacht to a Turkish port. What are peoples experiences of this lately- is it a complete PITA? Alternatively, would I be better off chartering from say Bodrun? If the Meltimi is not too strong I would like to get up to Samos as we have friends there.

jimbaerselman
27-01-10, 16:32
A trip to Samos and back will give you a great cruise for two weeks from Kos without the need to visit Turkey. Working north along the Turkey shore, then back south through the Greek Islands could occupy a month, but on a short stay you'll lose a day (bureaucracy) going into Turkey, and half a day going out, plus the cost of a permit. Longer if you forget to keep clear of week ends.

SeamanStaines
27-01-10, 17:28
I am planning a charter from Kos in the last couple of weeks of July. I may want to sail to Turkey and have heard different views on the hassle involved in taking Greek register yacht to a Turkish port. What are peoples experiences of this lately- is it a complete PITA? Alternatively, would I be better off chartering from say Bodrun? If the Meltimi is not too strong I would like to get up to Samos as we have friends there.

I used to regularly do this the other way around, chartering in Turkey from Gocheck and then sailing to Rhodes in a Turkish registered boat. Never had any problems as the charter base sorted out the ducumentation for me. It used to take me about three hours to get out of Turkey and about an hour to check in to Greece. Going back was easier.

Judging by the number fo Turkish registered yachts you see in Greece, and Greek ones in Turkey I think it is pretty mainstream. The issue getting out of Turkey was simply you have to get documents stamped by three or four different offices but they where always very helpfull.

I agree with avoiding weekends.