PDA

View Full Version : Wooden boat surveyor in Yorkshire / nr. Whitby?

idw
29-01-10, 13:54
Hello all

Could anyone recommend a decent surveyor for a wooden folkboat within travelling distance of Whitby?

Thanks

Will

KenMcCulloch
29-01-10, 15:20
Hi Will
Fiona Dando of http://www.northeastyachtsurveys.co.uk/index.htm is based in Northumberland but I'm sure she would travel to Whitby. She surveyed Border Maid for me when I bought her, and she is (was?) the owner of a wooden yacht herself. My survey was pretty thorough and identified most of the significant issues adequately.

Niander
29-01-10, 17:16
Is a folkboat really worth a surveyor...they aren't worth much nowadays!
i have one so i know something about them
I would check all the wood inside and out looking for rot
how long ago was the rigging replaced?what are the sails like?rudder bearings worn?
whats the engine like?assume keel bolts need replacing!
there you go saved you hundreds of pounds!.....:)

smeaks
30-01-10, 11:58
ask at coates marine on the north of the river in whitby (at the end of the carpark) they know some good surveyors local to whitby.

idw
31-01-10, 12:47
Thank you all for your replies—including those who PMed. Niander, I take your point about the survey (and I'll be using your checklist, thanks!) but although the price of a folkboat isn't that much, it's most of my savings and I know what I don't know, so I think in my case a survey's worth it.

Thanks again

Will

David 53
08-02-10, 15:53
We just bought a classic wooden boat & found a great surveyor in the North East, he was very fast, thorough & we had the survey in days. I think you really should check him out, AC Yacht Surveyors, check Google or Yahoo. Good Luck

Ubergeekian
08-02-10, 16:32
Is a folkboat really worth a surveyor...they aren't worth much nowadays!

In a case like that the point of a survey is, I think, really to establish what might need doing, rather than the purchase price. What's paid will probably be dwarfed by the hours spent - it would be a pain to lose those hours and the affection engendered, if there is something fundamentally awry.

aidanjames
08-02-10, 23:47
You should have a survey- like you say, it's your savings here. But you should first be generally satisfied with what you've seen so far. The surveyor's job is usually to tell you what faults there are that you might not have noticed, and these are often things you will take into account in your offer rather than complete show stoppers. So you need to check the boat as thoroughly as you can ahead of this. Look for anywhere and everywhere rainwater might have settled and caused decay - opened joints on the deck edge or along the edge of the coamings for example. Look in spaces that are not well ventilated, look at the fastenings - are any loose or surrounded by softened or darkened wood? Bear in mind you are buying an oldish wooden boat - there will inevitably be things that need attention, but you are also buying a piece of yachting quality and that does come at a price - money or labour. If you are still happy, then get a surveyor and don't go firm on your offer until you have their report. Good luck!