PDA

View Full Version : Will a Greek cruising tax start now?

sunshinesailing
01-02-10, 09:08
The following are excerpts from today's Kathimerini English language newspaper in Greece. Will this bring higher costs for cruising Greece? Tourism is a huge revenue source for Greece. Common sense should prevail.

"The government is due to receive by Wednesday an official response from Brussels to the measures it has proposed in its Stability and Growth Program.....
According to sources, the additional measures envisaged by Brussels include an increase in taxes on fuel and luxury goods".

charles_reed
01-02-10, 09:31
Almost certainly the Greek government will be scrabbling around for any additional sources of revenue that it can find.
Inevitably that means that costs are going to rise for everybody in Greece, including boaters. I doubt the Greek government will have the b*lls to do what the Irish have done - cut ALL public service wages, as well as increase taxes.

Incidentally the new UK government will be faced with exactly the same scenario so whether in Greece or in the UK the state will be helping itself from your pocket.

grumpygit
01-02-10, 13:27
Almost certainly the Greek government will be scrabbling around for any additional sources of revenue that it can find.
Inevitably that means that costs are going to rise for everybody in Greece, including boaters. I doubt the Greek government will have the b*lls to do what the Irish have done - cut ALL public service wages, as well as increase taxes.

Incidentally the new UK government will be faced with exactly the same scenario so whether in Greece or in the UK the state will be helping itself from your pocket.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with you, I also doubt the Greek goverment will have the b*lls. As far as I can tell the taxes on alcohol and tobacco has not happened....This I have been told is because of public pressure but I have not seen anything in writing. Farmers are blockading main roads
in protest of their subsidies. If they go too far in cuts/taxes there will be riots and protests for a cert in Athens.
As for the boat tax we will just have to sit it out and wait for an outcome from those in a position to alter things. Be sure of one thing though if it happens in Greece the chances are it will all through the EU..........

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Andy and Lyn
03-02-10, 09:30
Doesn't look good for Greece's economy - BBC news last night suggested general strike by public sector workers next week in response to government across the board cut of 10% for public sector employees and the books seem set for inspection by the men from Brussels which apparently could reveal a horror story!

Who's idea was the Euro!!

dolphin
03-02-10, 11:35
now is expecting the strike from custom workers - fill the car's tank! in a few days, there will be no gasoline at the stations!

macd
03-02-10, 11:36
Greece's principle problem with the Euro is that they never remotely met the criteria required to join it. They simply lied that they did, as has long been suspected and as their PM recently admitted. That and an endemic reluctance actually to collect taxes, especially as elections approach, has contributed to their current woes.

Clearly the strength of the Euro impairs Greek competitiveness. If Greece's problem proves insoluble, and it might, their main problem might be that there is no defined exit route from the currency.

Ariadne
04-02-10, 08:10
Well there was a huge police/army presence in Athens in Tuesday and some minor demo's, when it was made public about the public sector pay cuts, increased taxes and fuel duty. So I suppose it'll get passed on to us lesser mortals and non Greeks ASAP. Hopefully not before the end of March, which is when I leave!

chrisgee
04-02-10, 10:07
Well there was a huge police/army presence in Athens in Tuesday and some minor demo's, when it was made public about the public sector pay cuts, increased taxes and fuel duty. So I suppose it'll get passed on to us lesser mortals and non Greeks ASAP. Hopefully not before the end of March, which is when I leave!

That`s it --- just cut and run and leave us to new boat taxes and ever spiralling costs !!!

-- still it could be much worse , we`ve now got at least 6 months brilliant weather and sailing to look forward to, so lets crack open a few Mythos , stock up on Metaxa and enjoy.

Where are you heading? We are tempted to go back to Turkey but what with the hoo hah re the black water tank saga ( in Mugla at least) we`re not so sure now.

See you @Messe in a few weeks.
Chris

Ariadne
05-02-10, 09:18
West hopefully spending next winter in Senegal - its a lot warmer there, and no cruising tax!

skipper_stu
08-02-10, 11:42
Fred Drift:
Had the shock of my life on Saturday when Sarah walked in to the office here in Llan!
We had a good chat, hopefully we will see you around in 18months time when we set off!
Stu

Andy and Lyn
08-02-10, 12:09
BBC news suggests that their could be a bale out in favour of Greece from central Euro funds to stop the Greek econonmy completely collapsing! In which case it might not be all bad!

Shame we (UK) didn't join the euro when the time was right!!

Think I prefer a Greek cruising tax than a tangle with Turkish authorites for not having Grey water tanks!!

Chris_Robb
08-02-10, 12:50
BBC news suggests that their could be a bale out in favour of Greece from central Euro funds to stop the Greek econonmy completely collapsing! In which case it might not be all bad!

Shame we (UK) didn't join the euro when the time was right!!

Think I prefer a Greek cruising tax than a tangle with Turkish authorites for not having Grey water tanks!!

Thank God we did not join the Euro! This is the only thing we can thank the Great Gordo for!

macd
08-02-10, 13:59
BBC news suggests that their could be a bale out in favour of Greece from central Euro funds to stop the Greek econonmy completely collapsing! In which case it might not be all bad

That's rather simplistic (on part of Beeb) and probably not imminent. Greece recently gained loans via a succesful multi-billion euro bond issue, but they came with a record-breaking high interest rates which will have to be serviced. The EU has approved Greek plans to drastically reduce borrowing, but whether the Greek Gov can deliver on them is another matter. Civil Service reductions (Greece has ten times as many civil servants as Ireland), wage freezes and higher taxes are all inevitable. The price paid by the ordinary Greek will be far greater than the burden borne by us. Anyone with any affection for the country might consider putting their petty concerns in that context.

Recent opinion polls suggest that ordinary Greek citizens are prepared to pay this price -- IF it's borne equally by the well-off. That may be a long-shot.