PDA

View Full Version : Music on the Move Grrr

oldgit
07-04-10, 17:59
No music detectable from any boat on pain of death.

Why o why does the blissfull peace and quiet of the river have to be shattered by Ice T or Elbow blasting from those infernal boat hi fi,s...or the Ride of the Valkeries for that matter and its not just blimming tent boats either.
Boating is supposed to be relaxing,not for pumping up the volume to some popular spotty oik beat combo which is rarely troubled by any actual talent.

Hell is other peoples music and should they,God forbid, also happen to know how to work an IPod..........

TrueBlue
07-04-10, 19:19
You've started early in the season, what's got your goat??

To them that's knows, there's nothing so pleasant as chugging along, listening to the environment.

However, most newer entrants to boating cannot survive without the thump, thump of popular music. They feel disconnected from the world without a noise.

It's not an age issue either.

Methinks folks have to be converted - not bludgeoned.

No Regrets
07-04-10, 19:39
I enjoy a little Dave Brubeck on a sunday morning, or perhaps some Rat Pack classics...

Sometimes, a Perkins just ain't enough!

Richard Shead
07-04-10, 20:05
No music detectable from any boat on pain of death.

Why o why does the blissfull peace and quiet of the river have to be shattered by Ice T or Elbow blasting from those infernal boat hi fi,s...or the Ride of the Valkeries for that matter and its not just blimming tent boats either.
Boating is supposed to be relaxing,not for pumping up the volume to some popular spotty oik beat combo which is rarely troubled by any actual talent.

Hell is other peoples music and should they,God forbid, also happen to know how to work an IPod..........

We used to play tie ya kangaroo down, quite loud on a certain stretch...

Gavi
07-04-10, 22:25
I find an old git on our reach quite amusing when he takes his battered old something or other and drives by with old git music quite loud... rather amusing. Though it may be he wig that makes me smile...

rr_123
08-04-10, 07:41
I find an old git on our reach quite amusing when he takes his battered old something or other and drives by with old git music quite loud... rather amusing. Though it may be he wig that makes me smile...

How dare you! I don't wear a wig! And since when was Glen Miller "old git" music :eek:

I confess that single handing from Henley down to the Staines Massive in the rain last year would have been rather dull without tea and Radio 4; music (perhaps not Glen Miller) on the boat is a really enjoyable thing. Must get a boat...

boatone
08-04-10, 08:34
Imagine the scene ...a lovely summer afternoon and Legacy is approaching Hampton Court Palace..... the strains of a truly magnificent Brass Band - the Grenadier Guards no less - playing 'A Life On The Ocean Wave' - all the gongoozlers wandering along the Barge Walk pause and revel in a truly British experience.

On a good day I might even turn and retrace to the magic of Colonel Bogie :D have even been known to raise a cheer !!!

Brings tears to the eyes and never a single complaint.

And Shades is quite partial to a little jazz as I pass through the lock......

Life is nothing without music.

.....and should they,God forbid, also happen to know how to work an IPod..........

Now you're getting personal.......However, I think even Brayman might spring to my defence - especially when I was able to conjure up Elbow at a moments notice !

CX54WEK
08-04-10, 08:45
You have to have music on the while the time away (or you do in Lincolnshire, where one stretch of flood bank is much the same as the next!!)

A little Foo Fighters or Stereophonics is sometimes called for. You can get a good echo going through the Lincoln bridges as well.

There doesnt tend to be many other boats to upset though. You can go almost all day without catching sight of another moving boat.

oldgit
08-04-10, 17:53
Brings tears to the eyes .....and...... fingers in the ears :)

Sneds
08-04-10, 19:02
I'm afraid there are selfish, ignorant people in all walks of life who don't give a toss about anyome else - as long as they re happy.
Ig you want to blast loud music out from your marine spec Clarions, get your ass out of the river and out to sea where you won't disturb anyone - or buy some headphones.
Unless you're playing Blondie.

Phill
08-04-10, 20:18
Live and let live springs to mind, me thinks.

oldgit
08-04-10, 22:06
"Live and let live springs to mind, me thinks."

but not perhaps when ..the live and let live .. involves a boat travelling for a considerable distance during an afternoons jolly and inflicting the "music" on several hundred
other bystanders out merely to enjoy the peace and quiet of the river.
However at least it disappears sooner or later.

Worse by far is when you have parked for the night and someone somewhere close by decides to share his favorite CD or ten ..............and boy does that travel on the still evening air.
Boat stereos/mobile phones/outdrives ....all work of the devil

Phill
08-04-10, 22:39
I do understand what you're saying but some get as much pleasure from music as you do from peace and quiet. Me, I enjoy both.
I do think that most folks, if asked to turn down the volume would appologise and do so.
Also agree that the water does carry sound very well in the evenings. Often hear gennies going (YUK) and also the odd argument from boats moored nearby.

Gavi
08-04-10, 22:40
How dare you! I don't wear a wig! And since when was Glen Miller "old git" music :eek:

I confess that single handing from Henley down to the Staines Massive in the rain last year would have been rather dull without tea and Radio 4; music (perhaps not Glen Miller) on the boat is a really enjoyable thing. Must get a boat...

It wasn't you. He was, er, less, we, wore, er, thinner, er, trousers.

OK: He was slimmer. But older. Slightly. And he still has a working boat.

tinkicker0
11-04-10, 17:44
"Live and let live springs to mind, me thinks."

but not perhaps when ..the live and let live .. involves a boat travelling for a considerable distance during an afternoons jolly and inflicting the "music" on several hundred
other bystanders out merely to enjoy the peace and quiet of the river.
However at least it disappears sooner or later.

Worse by far is when you have parked for the night and someone somewhere close by decides to share his favorite CD or ten ..............and boy does that travel on the still evening air.
Boat stereos/mobile phones/outdrives ....all work of the devil

Don't come onto the Yorkshire Ouse then. I might have to manouvre up to you with my outdrive, moor up next door and delight you with with my Walkman moby phone supplying my 4x60W, quad stereo system with "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" by Green Day.

Its not all bad though, as the evening progresses, it goes through heavy rock, to techno dance music, through new age easy listening to classical, so I do play something for everyone, being the generous chap I am.

If you do find your hearing is not as it was, fear not, I may consider fitting a subwoofer in case me 6 an a half inch woofers are not quite powerful enough for you.

:D :D

Then again, I do not really have the volume cranked up loud enough to disturb others more than about 4 feet away, its all about the quality at reasonable volume y'see; although our berth neighbours do like to turn the volume up enough for them to listen to, as we talk over beers of a saturday night. They don't even have so much as a tranny radio aboard, hence my stereo is viewed as a public service.

Takes all sorts to make a river.

No Regrets
11-04-10, 19:09
Woofer? Six and a half inches?

That, Sir, barely constitutes a Tweeter in Bray Marina...ROFL...

Captain Coochie
11-04-10, 22:13
I remeber a trip to the islands at Cleavden once . Every one that had moored on the same island seemed to all get together near us :D and have a good time . Not over loud music but enough fun for two boats and four other later boats ( that we didnt know ) to join us . In fact it was that tame that the ducks and ducklings where waddling past us :) Some right grumpy old git decided to rock up later and told us all to shut up as he came here for peace and quiet . I think it was the disco lights that upset him :D

oldgit
12-04-10, 19:59
Some right grumpy old git "

Not an off white Pedro with enuff blue canvas aloft to power a small galleon per chance ?