PDA

View Full Version : Just arrived at Gib, well La Linea........

Sy-Revolution
25-05-10, 15:27
We've got a load of hardly used charts (imray) for Portugese coast plus N Spain and French Coast up to Cherbourg and South + East coast UK that we can pass on. I also have a Navionics XL3 cartridge for the same, swap for the 23XG card if anyones got one.

Also need charts for W + E Meddy + S/H Cruising chute (13.5m luff). I guess we'll be here for a few days.

Contrary to rumours La Linea anchorage is open.

Anyone know best place in Gib where I can get hold of a GPS mouse? Also best/priced Chandlers........

Cheers,

Crispin

capnsensible
29-05-10, 09:02
Best chandlers, Linemar, on the road out of town past the cemetary. Rosie, charming Spanish lady, speaks good english. Good prices.

chasroberts
31-05-10, 09:24
Ahh La Linea. I hope you've read the various threads re dinghy thefts off the anchorage there? If not please take the time to have a look. LL is a great anchorage but there are some thieving b******s about there who will even swim out to the boats and cut dinghies free during the night. I speak from personal experience. Not trying to pee on your fireworks as it is a great little free anchorage.

Last time I was there the various boats used to organise their own 'taxi' runs to shore to prevent having to leave dinghies. My pal had his chained to the dock 10 mts from the watchman's hut (who'd promised to look after it!) and it still got nicked.

Just beware and take suitable precautions.

Good luck and good sailing.

Chas

Sy-Revolution
31-05-10, 12:30
Hi Chas,
Indeed someone found a load of kids deflating his dinghy just the other day. We've been paying 5 euros to leave ours in the sailing club marina. I chained the thing to the bathing platform last night!

We're off tomorrow. Didn't manage any chart swaps and Shepherds seemed a bit of a rip off so just going with electronic charts to Cabo Nao........

C.

Mino
08-06-10, 06:03
Ahh La Linea. I hope you've read the various threads re dinghy thefts off the anchorage there? If not please take the time to have a look. LL is a great anchorage but there are some thieving b******s about there who will even swim out to the boats and cut dinghies free during the night. I speak from personal experience. Not trying to pee on your fireworks as it is a great little free anchorage.

Last time I was there the various boats used to organise their own 'taxi' runs to shore to prevent having to leave dinghies. My pal had his chained to the dock 10 mts from the watchman's hut (who'd promised to look after it!) and it still got nicked.

Just beware and take suitable precautions.

Chas

Wise words.

Don't want to sound like an old fart, but boy, haven't times changed? 25-30 years ago, when I used to sail with my step dad, dinghy thefts were never a problem. Admittedly, we only sailed in UK waters, but all he did was to paint, 'tender to' on the bow, and when we landed on a beach, for example, he turned it over to cover the oars so they weren't pinched, but the tender was never touched. And my father, who used to live in Cyprus, said that thirty years ago one could leave one's car unlocked with a stereo on the back seat and return to find both still there.

Oh, when I were a lad...

Reminding myself of that Monty Python sketch here...

eastcoastbernie
08-06-10, 20:42
Hello Crispin

Just popped into the forum to find you had posted. I read some of your blog a while back and have been wondering how you are all getting on. It must seem a very long time ago since we brought Sternchen (as she was then) down the Kiel canal and across the North Sea.

Keep safe and make the most of your adventures. I'm envious as hell.

Love
Bernie x