PDA

View Full Version : Mar Menor-Spain

rivonia
29-05-10, 13:25
Hello, we arrived here safely after an overnight sail (motor) from Almerimar.

The water is approx 1meter less than chart datum in most places. e.g. states 3.5m and it is only 2.5. Mainly sand with weed, good holding. Winds pick up most afternoons and shift from a Sth to Nth so let out plenty of scope (5-1).

The cheapest and most efficient workshop is "MARINA 2001" We have to have bothe engines lifted and new seals put in. The quote was 3000-4500?. At Marina 2001 the quote is only 2000-3000 max, not bad I think.

We are using FREE internet.

The depth at anchor means that it is a lumpy swell due to the high winds. It is great for the wind turbine=batteries are fully charged.

Peter

Grehan
29-05-10, 19:09
Yes, we found it quite choppy at times. Also plenty of jellyfish.

rivonia
30-05-10, 12:11
Yes, we found it quite choppy at times. Also plenty of jellyfish.

Hi, all jellyfish now gone. The report is that the water is now far to salty for them, can you believe that? Anyway no jelly fish. Plenty of nice reasonably priced restaurants and there is a very nice big supermarket which smbo says is very good..

We are enjoying it and go for walks, nice to get of the boat from time to time.

Hope to be heading up the coast by Thursday 3/6/10.

Peter

Dipper
30-05-10, 13:03
What sort of depths are you getting there? Last year we didn't have time to go in but I hope to have another opportunity this October. The boat will be a fin keeler with a draught of 5' 2" (1.57m).

Any other advice gratefully received.

rivonia
30-05-10, 20:16
What sort of depths are you getting there? Last year we didn't have time to go in but I hope to have another opportunity this October. The boat will be a fin keeler with a draught of 5' 2" (1.57m).

Any other advice gratefully received.

The average depth is around 2.5-3.5 m in one or two places it is 4.5-5m. Just be aware that the chart depths are wrong it is at least 0.5-1.5 shallower.

Good luck
Peter

goosewing
31-05-10, 22:59
Some friends of mine should be either there or on their way, look out for Dry White (Geoff and Lynn) and say Susie say's hi, you could give them a hug to, I'm sure Geoff wont mind. Thanks:)

rivonia
01-06-10, 17:05
Some friends of mine should be either there or on their way, look out for Dry White (Geoff and Lynn) and say Susie say's hi, you could give them a hug to, I'm sure Geoff wont mind. Thanks:)

Hi we also know Dry White and have been looking for them and could not find them or Shalini both were supposed to be here. Mind you it is a very big place with plenty areas to anchor and several Marinas inside. If we do happen to bump into them we shall pass on your kind thoughts.

Peter

Dipper
01-06-10, 17:30
The average depth is around 2.5-3.5 m in one or two places it is 4.5-5m. Just be aware that the chart depths are wrong it is at least 0.5-1.5 shallower.

Good luck
Peter

Thanks Peter. That's worth knowing.

goosewing
04-06-10, 23:13
Hi we also know Dry White and have been looking for them and could not find them or Shalini both were supposed to be here. Mind you it is a very big place with plenty areas to anchor and several Marinas inside. If we do happen to bump into them we shall pass on your kind thoughts.

Peter

Message received a few days ago....= they were still in Cartagena but moving soon possibly Ibiza, It's Lynns birthday soon so there is a 'meet up' there, well that was the plan. Shalini was waiting for a part to arrive.

rivonia
06-06-10, 20:45
Hi Goosewing, thanks for the info. We are still on the hard,one engine done and hopefuly the other one will be fixed by Monday 7th.

The bridge openings are now on summer times. Every two hours on the even hours, from 0800 to 2000hrs.

Peter