PDA

View Full Version : Lake district moorings

jacaldo
08-06-10, 20:00
Hi, We currently keep a 7 metre bilge keel sail boat (which we love) on Derwent Water, April till October on the water then the winter on its trailer. We have used Derwent Water Marina for the last 3 years and would like to continue using a marina style berth with some facilities. The marina has everything we need but the only problem is the lack of lake water at times making it very hard work getting in and out. I would like to know of other marinas in the lakes that could offer equal facilities at roughly the same cost per annum.
Thanks

Lakesailor
08-06-10, 23:18
You need to ask. There are 2 marinas on Ullswater (Ullswater Marine and Fairfield Marine) and 5 on Windermere (depending on if you use the caravan site at Fallbarrow and White Cross Bay).
There is a marina on Coniston (Water Park) but it is extremely well hidden.

Nigel_Ward
09-06-10, 07:42
I keep my boat on a jetty mooring at Ullswater Marine. Most of the jetty berths are restricted to a maximum 2 foot draft although there are jetty end berths with more draft (but in great demand).

I think Fairfield Marine (next door) has the same restrictions for jetty moorings, but both "marinas" seem to have vacant swinging moorings.

http://ullswatermarine.co.uk/

jacaldo
09-06-10, 18:32
Thanks, I will look into those suggestions

Alfie168
09-06-10, 18:46
I keep my boat on a jetty mooring at Ullswater Marine. Most of the jetty berths are restricted to a maximum 2 foot draft although there are jetty end berths with more draft (but in great demand).

I think Fairfield Marine (next door) has the same restrictions for jetty moorings, but both "marinas" seem to have vacant swinging moorings.

Nige, is yours the Dehler 22 at Ullswater Marine? If so..its nicer than mine:D I saw it the other week when I was searching for a home for mine

Mr Ullswater Marine does not allow DIY on the boats he told me, but was prepared to pro rata the fee if you joined after the beginning of season. Fairfield Marine is much easier going (according to the resident I had a long chat with) but they wouldn't pro rata, and wanted a full seasons fee whenever you joined. Both said they had space two weeks ago. Otherwise Dalemain had moorings available.

Lakey gave me my basic info, but I had a day up there myself. I'm in the throes of moving house and only just found a space to park the boat here in teh dale, so I may well end up losing this season entirely unless I get my act together PDQ.

Tim

Nigel_Ward
09-06-10, 19:41
Nige, is yours the Dehler 22 at Ullswater Marine?

Tim

Yes, that is my boat!

I think Ullswater Marine and Fairfield Marine have different characters - you pays yer money etc.

Alfie168
09-06-10, 20:41
Yes, that is my boat!.

Well I didn't borrow many bits off it......honest..;);):D

Tim

tinkicker0
09-06-10, 21:49

2 foot draft??? Me bathtime tugboat has more draft than that :eek:

That's having a laugh, it's not a mooring, its a large puddle.

Alfie168
09-06-10, 22:07
They'd had no rain for weeks when I was there, so the lake was very low, and the jetty moorings were very marginal but then you know, some of us have yachts that can sail up a damp rag with windy up keely type thingies that only stick out downwards when you want them to..:D:D:D

Tim

Lakesailor
09-06-10, 23:03
I met someone (a forumite I think) who had a Foxhound at one of the Ullswater Marinas and worse even than the lack of depth at the moorings is that there is a bar before the jetties. Not a drinky one, but a gravely one.