PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Cyprus recently?

BradleyC
12-07-10, 13:58
Hi,

I was having a look at noonsite and came across the following 2006 post
"I would just like to remind all sailors who have visited Kyrenia or Famagusta in the north of Cyprus that they are prohibited from entry to southern Cyprus and are liable to fines of up to 10,000 Cyprus pounds, together or separately with a possible year in jail. An Israeli Skipper was just recently sentenced to 25 days in jail, and was expelled after 11 days."

I know since Cyprus joined the EU things have relaxed considerably but has anyone got more up to date information? I'd like to stay in Northern Cyprus if possible, as i understand that its really difficult to find a marina berth during the winter in Southern Cyprus, but not if I'm going to get hit by a huge fine/jail! If anyone has been there recently i'd love to hear some up to date info.

Thanks!

rivonia
13-07-10, 08:01
Hi,

I was having a look at noonsite and came across the following 2006 post
"I would just like to remind all sailors who have visited Kyrenia or Famagusta in the north of Cyprus that they are prohibited from entry to southern Cyprus and are liable to fines of up to 10,000 Cyprus pounds, together or separately with a possible year in jail. An Israeli Skipper was just recently sentenced to 25 days in jail, and was expelled after 11 days."

I know since Cyprus joined the EU things have relaxed considerably but has anyone got more up to date information? I'd like to stay in Northern Cyprus if possible, as i understand that its really difficult to find a marina berth during the winter in Southern Cyprus, but not if I'm going to get hit by a huge fine/jail! If anyone has been there recently i'd love to hear some up to date info.

Thanks!
Thing's have not changed at all. Untill there is full unity between the two side's you will never be able to go to the Nth side before visiting the Sth. You can do it the other way Sth first and then Nth. The cruising in Cyprus is not good. Also when leaving from one port to another you have to check out and then check in. They are VERY security conscious.
I do believe that a new Marina has recently opened in the Nth close to Gyrne.
Good luck.

Peter

Eeyore
13-07-10, 08:16
Peter is right. You cannot go from north to south sides, but can do it in reverse order.

We delivered a 50 footer in July 2008 to the wrong port (not our fault!) and the frustration and time wastage involved with the check in/check out procedure was considerable - that was with a new Cypriot owner making all the noises and backhanders too!

BradleyC
13-07-10, 09:44
Thanks, that's great. We've been mulling whether to overwinter in Cyprus or Tunisia. I know a new marina is being built (nearly built) in the North of cyprus, which is called Port Cyprium. I understand that its really difficult to find overwintering berths in the South, so the North was starting to seem like a good option. However, from what has been said it could prove to be quite a lot of hassle, with the cruising being a bit non descript to boot!

However, Tunisia has also come into the frame as various people on this forum commented that it was a good place to overwinter, as they seem to welcome yachtsmen, rather than making life difficult for them. Have you any experience of Tunisia as a wintering hole?

LadyInBed
16-07-10, 14:58
You can do it the other way Sth first and then Nth.

Doing that, what do you then do, head up to Turkey?
Can you enter Sth Cyprus from Turkey?

I have fond memories of Cyprus when I was there with the UN before partition.

demonboy
16-07-10, 15:48
The cruising in Cyprus is not good

Peter, did you mean northern or southern? You're probably right with parts of southern Cyprus - I haven't been there so I don't know about the cruising scene there - but Liz and I spent some weeks cruising northern Cyprus and it was delightful. 'Non-descript' is NOT an adjective I would use to describe northern Cyprus, Bradley. Yes, there is a long stretch of coast (40 miles) with little protection but aside from that there are loads of anchorages, especially north east above Famagusta. It's just undiscovered, and fairly uncharted. We were lucky with weather, but I couldn't recommend it enough. This doesn't answer the OP but I just wanted to emphasize how wonderful it was in the height of the summer.

I've put enough links to follwotheboat on YBW today but if you use the search box on our blog and type in 'cyprus' we wrote loads of posts on our time there. Loads of pics too. If they don't convince you of its beauty then I don't know what will!

Just be warned that when we were there Delta marina closed in the winter, but you can anchor in the outer part of the marina area, still behind the breakwater. Main protection issues would be if winds came through from north east.

TheCrimsonVicar
20-07-10, 13:20
Regarding berths in The Republic of Cyprus (the south).
The building of a superb new marina in Limassol is now well underway. Zygi is almost complete and there's plenty of room at Latsi. Cruising around the west (Akamas peninsular) is stupendous.
If you have a conscious try to avoid the north. If you visit there you will be supporting an illegal occupation which was achieved through conquest and with the shedding of the blood of many hundreds of Greek Cypriots, and the theft of homes, land and businesses belonging to 200,000 who are still refugees from their own homes.
google Oram if you want to see the legal position

demonboy
20-07-10, 14:36
If you have a conscious try to avoid the north.

This kind of comment in a public forum used by intelligent people makes me absolutely SICK. SICK, SICK, SICK.

It's not often I rant on YBW but this person is showing complete and utter ignorance at the situation in Cyprus. Clearly they have not bothered to make an effort to understand the situation and has instead chosen to fill their heads only with one-sided arguments.

Irrespective of one's persuasion on what happened in the past, to take this kind of stance in 2010 is just sad. The YBW liveaboard forum has always excited me with postings from open-minded adventurers, which is why it is upsetting to read comments made by narrow-minded bigots.

I plead with anyone who doesn't understand the situation in Cyprus to visit both sides, listen to both sides, and support both sides. It's encouraging to see the leading ministers of both governments conducting talks, attempting to work towards some long-term solutions to the recent problems but the fact yotties make silly comments like this is a sad illustration of some people's backwards thinking.

Really, I am absolutely spitting blood here. You ought to know better.

Tranona
20-07-10, 14:52
Whilst in principle I agree that this is not the place for one sided views, you cannot simply airbrush out the past. The fact is that the regime in the north is "illegal" and, although there have been many moves in recent years to resolve the situation, the current government in the north is becoimg less inclined towards a settlement, preferring to try and build its own independent economy.

We, as visitors, cannot divorce ourselves from the environment we are visiting as it is all too easy to "drop in" and ignore what is going on about us.

demonboy
20-07-10, 15:06
I think you may have misinterpreted my post, Tranona, because I said nothing about airbrushing out the past. I was commenting on the fact that this person was suggesting we don't visit northern Cyprus if we have a 'conscious' (I'm perfectly conscious, thank you. I think you meant 'conscience').

I'm angry on two levels: the complete ignorance of this statement; and being told where I should and should not visit.

Tranona
20-07-10, 16:29
No, I don't think so. I am with you, just don't be too hard on people who have difficulty with the past, even if they are a bit clumsy in the way they express their views. From the latest reports (long one in the Telegraph today) the two sides seem to be drifting further apart. Not unexpected given the political situation in both sponsoring countries and the difficulty of finding a compromise that satisfies both parties.

TheCrimsonVicar
20-07-10, 18:30
comments made by narrow-minded bigots.
Really, I am absolutely spitting blood here.
pm sent

Artemis_C2121
20-07-10, 19:28
The building of a superb new marina in Limassol is now well underway. Zygi is almost complete and there's plenty of room at Latsi. Cruising around the west (Akamas peninsular) is stupendous.
If you have a conscious try to avoid the north. If you visit there you will be supporting an illegal occupation which was achieved through conquest and with the shedding of the blood of many hundreds of Greek Cypriots, and the theft of homes, land and businesses belonging to 200,000 who are still refugees from their own homes.

Forget who done what to whom, having owned a property in Cyprus for the last 8 years there are some terrible things that have been done by both sides I too had the one sided view to begin with, however on a more yachting front.

Zigi is well on its way but more a fishing shelter than a true Marina, the new Marina at limmisol is likely to be priced for the super rich, the new Marina near Ayia Napa is 2 to 3 years away, Latsi is totally full with a waiting list unless you want to bribe someone and will not store boats on the hard, also has a security issue with minor thefts from boats this is first hand experience my wife and i having spent 3 days two months ago visiting every indent in the southern coast looking for a place to call home for our boat.

We are currently in Northern Spain on our way to Cyprus hoping that if we stuff ourselves in a berth they will try to accomadate us who knows!!!!!!!!!!!!

lets keep the forum on a yachting stance and not get all political there is enough **** to deal with out there

silver-fox
20-07-10, 22:26
Hi Demonboy

Having leisurely drifted through this thread (with no experience of Cyprus whatsoever) I was very surprised at your post.

The Crimson Vicar expressed an opinion and said why he held it. You hold a different one, I suspect.:rolleyes:

But why attack Crimson Vicar so personally? Why not just explain why you disagree with his views and leave it at that?

Why not have a beer, chill and stop taking yourself so seriously?....you might live longer:)

TheCrimsonVicar
21-07-10, 11:27
Here's the website for the new Limassol marina
http://www.limassolmarina.com/limassol-marina-master-plan
Regarding Latsi; I'm told that most of the ginpalaces etc have pre-booked berths in the new Limassol marina thus Latsi is becoming less "busy".
Zygi will not be exclusive for the Zygi fishermen.
Regarding my comments about supporting (or not) the illegal occupation of the northern third of the island; those who have forgotten what happened in 1974 here's a little vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlN0oUVq6gA&feature=related

rivonia
23-07-10, 14:04
Latchi IS FULL also if you have a berth when you go out for a day sail, you come back someone has taken your berth. This is the truth. Crystal who ran a buisness there and had an annual berth often spent uncomfortable days whilst trying to get her berth back.

Peter

jimmcgee
23-07-10, 16:05
Will be in Cyprus for a week from sunday, will be in coral bay, am land based but will have access to a small 16 foot motor boat .

rogersimms
30-07-10, 10:14

I agree fully with demon boy the forum is not a place for a politically slanted Rant. If we followed misguided information above we may as well give up sailing as there are disputes globally. Does this mean unless I take sides I would not be able to visit Spain, Gibraltar. France Holland, Germany Sri Lanka, India, Yemen, Morocco, and The UK . The list is huge and there are only a few countries that can say "We are innocent",

Having said all of that Cyprus was a pain and seemed a little bureaucratic when arriving with a boat cursing anywhere unless you just accept that is the way it is here, and get on with it. I liked Cyprus and the people and it would be a shame not to visit it based on politics.

Oh I forgot Cant go to Turkey either or is that OK

demonboy
30-07-10, 13:13
Why not have a beer, chill and stop taking yourself so seriously?....you might live longer:)

Steve, I've had the beer :o, am chilling out :cool: but will continue to take myself seriously on occasion :mad:!

BradleyC
30-07-10, 18:14
Dear everyone,

Thanks for all your feedback; it's always handy to have a bit of local knowledge before you go somewhere.

Cheers!;)

TheCrimsonVicar
01-08-10, 15:08
Hi Demonboy
Not if he repeats the chilling views regarding the Turkish invasion (which he has expressed here and in pm's) in a taverna in the Troodos.:D
Those considering sailing to Turkish North Cyprus do please bear in mind that subsequent visits, on the same yacht, to The Republic of Cyprus and to many Greek islands (particularly Rhodes) could result in all sorts of unfortunate unpleasantries. Hellenic peoples have long memories.
If you simply must visit TNC then the best advice is to get your fill of Greek sailing first.

demonboy
01-08-10, 18:37
Those considering sailing to Turkish North Cyprus do please bear in mind that subsequent visits, on the same yacht, to The Republic of Cyprus and to many Greek islands (particularly Rhodes) could result in all sorts of unfortunate unpleasantries.

Whilst I do not wish to continue my spat with TheCrimsonVicar you will have to excuse me whilst I take him/her to task on this statement; I would pick up on it irrespective of who had posted it.

Quite simply I believe this to be a nonsense and I would be very interested to have this statement quantified. Could we have some proof of this please? Where did you read this? Did it happen to you? If you could point us to a reliable source of information then that would be useful.

I'm all for people expressing their opinion but scaremongering with falsities like this isn't the way we should be helping the OP. The consequencies you are implying are untrue, unfounded and out of perspective. I've never had a problem in Rhodes, both before and after my visit to Northern (and southern) Cyprus.

Let's try and help the OP with some useful information and stick to the facts. If you mean visiting the Greek islands/Rhodes immediately after leaving Northen Cyprus then please make this clear.

TheCrimsonVicar
01-08-10, 18:44
you will never be able to go to the Nth side before visiting the Sth. .....when leaving from one port to another you have to check out and then check in. They are VERY security conscious.

Last sentence is very pertinent.

TheCrimsonVicar
01-08-10, 18:45
You cannot go from north to south sides, but can do it in reverse order.

We delivered a 50 footer in July 2008 to the wrong port (not our fault!) and the frustration and time wastage involved with the check in/check out procedure was considerable - that was with a new Cypriot owner making all the noises and backhanders too!

Absolutely

TheCrimsonVicar
01-08-10, 19:06
You're probably right with parts of southern Cyprus - I haven't been there so I don't know

So it seems.
Perhaps you should accept what those of us who know, say.
I fear your visit to Kyrenia, which was once a beautiful little town, and your cruise along the Karpas, which is still beautiful if a little spoilt by the turkish military encampments, may have given you rose tinted specs.
If you still don't believe the inadvisability of supporting the illegal fascist regime based in Kyrenia by visiting it in your yacht and then trying to visit the Hellenistic world in the same yacht; I suggest you give it a try.
To anyone else:
Think twice before visiting the turkish-occupied north of Cyprus if only because the effect will be similar to visiting Israel and then trying to enter Iran........I paid a very brief to N Cyprus on family business ten years ago to check on some "stolen" property. Turkish immigration knew the implications of a TNC stamp on my passport so stamped a piece of card which I could throw away when I left. Even they know that visitors risk compromising their future travels in the Med by entering TNC.

demonboy
01-08-10, 19:32
Sorry, I didn't make it very clear. I haven't visited Southern Cyprus by boat.

Getting back to facts regarding the difficulty of cruising the Greek islands after a visit to Northern Cyprus, please could you provide some examples/case studies/sources. Thanks.