PDA

View Full Version : Boat lift and antifoul

Cashbuyer
22-07-10, 22:47
Apologies if this has been covered before...

Cannot quite get my head around the lifting, pressure wash and relaunch prices being offered by my marina considering they have all the equipment to hand and the staff involved are already on salary..

Can anyone recommend a hoist/lift where I can wash down and antifoul, check anodes etc probably over four to five days and then relaunch without taking out a second mortgage?

Based near Marlow

Brayman
22-07-10, 23:13
Harleyford used to do a good deal at this time of year, but I gather they aren't so bothered this year.

Cashbuyer
22-07-10, 23:15
They have a 'deal' but it only reduces what are already overinflated prices...:(

byron
23-07-10, 01:11
Better Boating at Reading.

oldgit
23-07-10, 08:22
They have a 'deal' but it only reduces what are already overinflated prices...:(

Might be worth taking a morning to pop round and visit all the possible lift out locations personally,especially the smaller out of the way, um.. scruffier ones.
As a comparison my lift out and hardstanding for a week was 140.00,but had to source my own pressure washer.Hard bit was persuading the wife to pop across the road when I fancied another cup of tea or a sandwich.Have given up as bad job ref asking her to scrape bottom and A/F.Should have made it plain that it was part of job description when getting married. My mistake. :)

Chris_d
23-07-10, 08:44
Better boating is ok but he keeps inching his prices up, not surprising when T&K next door are over 150% more expensive, was about 200 last time I went there + storage. Unfortunately all the usual excuse's; insurance, H&S, investment in equipment, where else you going to go mate! traipsed out to justify the extorionent prices.

pheran
23-07-10, 09:31
Better boating is ok but he keeps inching his prices up, not surprising when T&K next door are over 150% more expensive, was about 200 last time I went there + storage. Unfortunately all the usual excuse's; insurance, H&S, investment in equipment, where else you going to go mate! traipsed out to justify the extorionent prices.I used Better Boating recently and was charged 7/ft plus VAT just to lift my boat off the transporter and plonk it in the river. The chap who appeared to be in charge was, to say the least, somewhat humourless, despite the fact I was paying him over 250 for less than half an hour's work. :(

Sometime
23-07-10, 10:13
How about speaking to Val Wyatts?
They have a tractor and a slipway therefore I assume their charges should be a lot cheaper than a crane.

Chris_d
23-07-10, 10:17
I used Better Boating recently and was charged 7/ft plus VAT just to lift my boat off the transporter and plonk it in the river. The chap who appeared to be in charge was, to say the least, somewhat humourless, despite the fact I was paying him over 250 for less than half an hour's work. :(

Thats more than I paid there last time for a lift in and out including pressure wash and chocking up, he has put the prices up again:( Sounds like it would be cheaper to go down the Medway even allowing for fuel.

Incidently when I enquired at Benson a couple of years ago they wanted 55+vat per metre:eek:

Andrew_Fanner
23-07-10, 13:44
This is one of those whistles innocently buffing his nails moments.

DIY at club, 50 for three days ashore in the cradle.
Day 1 jetwash off underwater hull and clean topsides/teak all in the p155ing rain
Day 2 sand underwater hull, fill and touch up topsides teak dressing coat 1 antifoul
Day 3 boot topping and trim tabs, more teak dressing polish hull in glorious sunshine

SWMBO wont jetwash and I wont let her sand off or apply a/f as I've only 1 set of gear but she happily polishes topsides and deals with teak.

May be worth you asking smaller yards like Chertsey Meads or Bridge Marine given that you want haulout, block off and relaunch from them and everything else yourself. Might get a deal through them on the anodes and paint etc. Don't knock OG's "scruffier ones" they can be very helpful and co-operative in my experience.

CX54WEK
23-07-10, 14:34
Crikey i though we had been badly done too. We paid 100 (inc. VAT) to have her lifted, chocked ashore then relaunched and 20 for a weeks storage ashore. She was pulled out on the yard trailer though not craned, plus these are Lincoln prices.

You lot must be loaded:)

Chris_d
23-07-10, 15:22
You lot must be loaded:)

We're not but the boatyards think we are.

pheran
25-07-10, 20:30
We're not but the boatyards think we are.

Must admit I could have got it done a bit cheaper not too far away, but I was put off a bit by the guy roaring down the 'phone 'It'll be 200 quid ....and I don't want any bloody cheques or credit cards!!' No pleasing some people.:mad: