PDA

View Full Version : Busking

Slow_boat
27-08-10, 09:48
I met a German livaboard the other day who told me that he makes a few euro busking and often gets asked to play in bars in exchange for free beer.

I currently play solo saxophone in bars and the like locally. Does anyone know if it is possible and legal to busk around when I'm living aboard in the med like my German aquaintance?

Could be a bit of extra income or maybe a night in the cells!

parsifal
27-08-10, 10:53
As a 'citizen of the EU' you should not be prohibited from setting up your business in another EU Member State, subject to the laws affecting such activities within the host State. The host State must not discriminate against you on grounds of nationality, i.e. if its own nationals are allowed to make a horrible noise in the streets so can you! Also they must not discriminate indirectly, e.g. by banning Scottish bagpipes!

However, exceptions may be allowed on grounds of public policy, public security and public health. I should think the latter ought to apply to most of the buskers i have encountered.:D

Slow_boat
27-08-10, 11:37
Some places in the UK you need a licence or permit, in others busking is banned altogether.
I'm wondering what the score is when cruising the med. Anyone doing it?

rigman
27-08-10, 19:49
Some places in the UK you need a licence or permit, in others busking is banned altogether.
I'm wondering what the score is when cruising the med. Anyone doing it?

Hmm I think you will find competition from 10,000 accordion playing Ruma.nian Gypsies

TNT
27-08-10, 21:09
Go for it give it a shot get your sax out & play, good luck

Carmel2
28-08-10, 07:58
We have spent the last two winters in Barcelona ( Port Vell ) One liveaboard seems make a living out of it, never seen his partner but he has a couple of kids in tow, so he can't be doing so bad.

It looks quite organised, ie the same groups or solo artists doing the same slots in the same place each day, so I guess it must be regulated.

Go for it, and good luck.

Cari bean Pie rat.
28-08-10, 21:42
If you are an EU citizen you have 3 months without having to register for taxes..etc.
Busking would be easy as it would only be for 3 months...just fro the summer.
Nod's as good as a...good luck.
Check free movement of work force.

BobnLesley
29-08-10, 14:35
We met a couple of Aussie lads (land-based) last summer who reckoned they were "covering most of our costs and all of our beer" by busking and playing karoake/music nights in bars. To be fair though, they were bl@@dy good.

Freshbreeze
07-09-10, 12:49
Quite often I see U.K. liveaboards buskin, and I also busk every now'n'then!

Comes in handy to top-up the repair/upgrade budget!

Not always successful, but every little helps!

Ariadne
07-09-10, 13:06
There are a few of us forumites who have managed to play for beers in various places. Never seen cash mind but beer goes down well.

Just go for it and see what happens. If you are near Gib (Marina Bay) there are three boats hear who are playing on board tonight - come along and jamb in.

Bring your own beer though!