PDA

View Full Version : Downsizing suggestions please???

Toutvabien
20-10-10, 17:12
After much debate and discussion we have decided that our beloved Jigsaw is to be sold. We have sailed her extensively in recent years, from the West of Ireland,Normandy, Brittany, Spain, Portugal and the Caribbean. We have been back in Brightlingsea for a couple of years now and as the girls are teenagers it is proving difficult to maintain their enthusiasm for trips to Walton and Pinmill and we won't have the time for any longer trips for a few years. Therefore I want to quit while I am ahead and admit that the family have gone along with my plans for years without complaining. We are planning on getting another bigger boat again in a few years to go off again on long trip back to the Caribbean and beyond.

However I still want a wee boat maybe 24+ foot, that I can potter about the rivers in, maybe on my own or with a mate, capable of making a cup of tea cooking a freshly caught fish and having a kip on, I have no interest in racing, but like a boat that sails well rather than a caravan with a stick on top. Probably want to spend less than 10K.

I have been looking through the ads but have been left uninspired so far.

Any ideas?

FullCircle
20-10-10, 17:50
5'9" Headroom, fast and stable.

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/PAA3838

And you will pocket the considerable amount of change.

dylanwinter
20-10-10, 23:23
cut right back to basics

18 footer - zero draft

think small

I am having a ball with the slug

D

Cobra
21-10-10, 08:51
Take a look HERE (http://www.hurleyownersassociation.co.uk/pages/forsale.htm).

Lots of Hurley 22's starting at 1,995 and up to 5,200 with average price around 3,000 for a well sorted boat with loads of new kit.

Alternatively you will note a VERY nice Hurley 24/70 at 5,475 moored only just down the way at Burnham!

We downsized from our much loved Cobra 850 at the start of this season for much the same reason as your self...kids not interested in sailing, getting more tied up with work, wanting a boat that was not a caravan and would sail well and above all else one that I could just get in the dinghy, row over to and go for a sail whenever I wanted to on my own.

We keep our H22 on the White pontoons and have had half a season (didn't get her until start of July) of fantastic sailing with several midweek single handed sails.

Bags of fun for not a lot of cash, and above all else A SAILORS BOAT!

TimfromMersea
21-10-10, 13:54
Many years ago I used to sail on a Galion 22. A nice little boat that sails well for it's size and era. It was the one and only design from an airline pilot called Ian Hannay and it was a good boat.

The only thing wrong with this one is that it has a 'Vile Vire'! As a former shipmate of a Vire engine I can't honestly see why anyone would bother to recondition one. Perhaps I was just unlucky but......

jhr
21-10-10, 14:47
Many years ago I used to sail on a Galion 22. A nice little boat that sails well for it's size and era. It was the one and only design from an airline pilot called Ian Hannay and it was a good boat.

Ahem.....

http://www.galion22.co.uk/images/gclassad.jpg

(Ian Hannay's son is a colleague of mine)

Toutvabien
21-10-10, 15:17
The Galleon 22 I remember from my early sailing days as a really good boat so that is a cracking suggestion, and cheap too.

I used to own a Hurley 22 and while they are a good sea boat (we took ours all over the place including North Sea and crossing the channel, I do not remember it as a vessel with fantastic sailing qualities, a bit heavy in light airs and a good deal of weather helm when it blew up a bit, although it was great well reefed downwind in a force 6 across the Southern North Sea (pre gps and we ended up a bit lost, had to sail up to a bouy to read the name).

Are Sonata's any good or are they all shagged from racing?

FullCircle
21-10-10, 15:42
The Galleon 22 I remember from my early sailing days as a really good boat so that is a cracking suggestion, and cheap too.

I used to own a Hurley 22 and while they are a good sea boat (we took ours all over the place including North Sea and crossing the channel, I do not remember it as a vessel with fantastic sailing qualities, a bit heavy in light airs and a good deal of weather helm when it blew up a bit, although it was great well reefed downwind in a force 6 across the Southern North Sea (pre gps and we ended up a bit lost, had to sail up to a bouy to read the name).

Are Sonata's any good or are they all shagged from racing?

Dunno, guess you can find a good Sonata.

Major diff Hurley v Galion. Galion has 5'9" headroom, Hurley doesn't.

Barbican Bill
21-10-10, 16:14
However I still want a wee boat maybe 24+ foot, that I can potter about the rivers in, maybe on my own or with a mate, capable of making a cup of tea cooking a freshly caught fish and having a kip on, I have no interest in racing, but like a boat that sails well rather than a caravan with a stick on top. Probably want to spend less than 10K.

I have been looking through the ads but have been left uninspired so far.

Any ideas?

The Halcyon 27 answers your brief pretty well. In my limited experience of a friend's Halcyon it sailed like a dinghy and was also very seaworthy. Certainly a boat you'd be happy to tack through the moorings in. 6ft 1ins headroom, long keel, reasonably shallow draft, pretty hull....

OR4751
21-10-10, 16:53
Downsizing suggestions:

2 aircraft carriers & 19 frigates :p

Sorry, couldn't resit it :o

Good luck with your search

bond9007
22-10-10, 18:06
Hi

Sonata's are great boats sail like a big dinghy but will take care of you if it turns nasty. I have sailed mine single handed for a couple of years now on the Medway and Thames Estuary and she has never let me down.

You'll find some have been raced but many, mine included, that have never been so you pays your money etc. Good luck in your search.

P.S. If you want to have a look mine's still in the water till December

Regards

JamesFrance
22-10-10, 19:36
I bought a Galion 22 from Ian Hannay in I think 1967.

She had a blue hull and was a very pretty boat I was very proud to own. My first outing with her was moving her from Lymington to Portmadoc, which was a big adventure for me then, sailing alone with knowledge gained from studying Reeds. Before that I had only sailed as crew in a couple of races across the north sea and daysailed in the Thames estuary.

I can still remember every day of that cruise, no inboard but a 6hp Johnson for when the wind died.

rudolph_hart
25-10-10, 11:20
The following all sail well, and should be in budget

Marcon Tomahawk 25
Marcon Cutlass 27
Jaguar 25
Jaguar 27
Hunter Sonata (too small?)
Hunter Delta
Invicta 26 (long keel)
Hustler 25.5
Sadler 25
Evolution 26
T24 (beware deck problems)

You might find one of the following at, or just above, budget:

First 25
Super Seal 26

Vid
25-10-10, 18:10
A triple-keel Achilles 24 should be on the list - I have one and they're great.

Glayva
28-10-10, 09:39
Best boat I ever owned was the first boat I bought when I came to the UK. I had been looking at boats from Bristol to the Solent and finally found what I was told by Clark and Carter was a 'well known East Coast design' a Popcorn 23, which probably few people on the ECF would have heard of, so perhaps not quite as well known on the East Coast as I was told by Clark and Carter. But a wonderful boat. Short on headroom at 4' 2", but 4 berths, a cooker and an outboard in a well. But every time you got the sails up it just felt so good. On occasions she would plane to windward. I should never have sold her but having taken her to the Baltic and found I couldn't get petrol for the outboard without walking for miles, I decided to buy a boat with a diesel engine - big mistake.

At the other end of the small boat scale - I've been impressed with another forum member's [Flipper] purchase of an Itchen Ferry. Full keel, 22', inboard diesel, standing headroom and all the accommodation of a much larger boat. Looks ideal for pottering around the East Coast.

FullCircle
28-10-10, 09:49
Best boat I ever owned was the first boat I bought when I came to the UK. I had been looking at boats from Bristol to the Solent and finally found what I was told by Clark and Carter was a 'well known East Coast design' a Popcorn 23, which probably few people on the ECF would have heard of, so perhaps not quite as well known on the East Coast as I was told by Clark and Carter. But a wonderful boat. Short on headroom at 4' 2", but 4 berths, a cooker and an outboard in a well. But every time you got the sails up it just felt so good. On occasions she would plane to windward. I should never have sold her but having taken her to the Baltic and found I couldn't get petrol for the outboard without walking for miles, I decided to buy a boat with a diesel engine - big mistake.

At the other end of the small boat scale - I've been impressed with another forum member's [Flipper] purchase of an Itchen Ferry. Full keel, 22', inboard diesel, standing headroom and all the accommodation of a much larger boat. Looks ideal for pottering around the East Coast.

I used to race against a Popcorn 23 in Burnham, but then owned by Ken (?) who worked as an engineer at Ford. It went well, and looked 'right'.
So that's two of us.:)

Itchen Ferry is 25' though... but still huge.

Toutvabien
28-10-10, 19:59
for the really helpful suggestions so far.

Jigsaw is now formally up for sale with Westwater in Titchmarsh.

We took her up there on Saturday, a cracking ride up the Wallet from B'sea in a WSW 4/5, got her tied up on the outside pontoon and took most of our personal gear off, felt very, very sad to leave her. I now have a very full garage, amazing how much gets taken on board over 6 years.

Had a look at several of the suggested boats, Hustler 25.5 looks like a possible, anybody sailed one?Have not found many likely looking boats for sale at present, (which is probably best as we have ended up with two boats in the past) apart from a Hustler 25.5 listed with Clarke and Carter.

A friend suggested a Hunter Impala but none that I can find listed at present, also not come across any Galion's yet apart from the one on boatsandoutboards.com

FullCircle
28-10-10, 20:25
Impala is over 28ft, and a racing boat, so not setup for single handed very well.....
Good boat to race though.:cool:

Toutvabien
29-10-10, 06:28
Thanks FC, that is helpful I will take the Impala off of the list.

Alchemist V274
29-10-10, 08:57
Had a look at several of the suggested boats, Hustler 25.5 looks like a possible, anybody sailed one?Have not found many likely looking boats for sale at present, (which is probably best as we have ended up with two boats in the past) apart from a Hustler 25.5 listed with Clarke and Carter.

Looked at Huster 25.5 at C&C before I found The Cutlass 27 - dont know if it is the same one! Liked her just other than (I think :confused:) for the saloon arrangement but thought for what I want a few extra inches on the waterline might be an advantage.

Glayva
01-11-10, 08:00
I had a sudden thought about this thread over the weekend when I saw a Kingfisher 20, it may have been a 20+. Big boat inside for its size. They handle relatively well for a bilge keeler and are generally well under your budget. Pete Hill [Annie's ex husband] sailed one to Newport in the 2006 Jester Challenge, when most of the competitors were knocked out by bad weather so they must be able to handle a bit of a blow. Blondie Hasler favoured one after he sold Jester, but had his with a junk rig as did Pete Hill in 2006.

FullCircle
01-11-10, 08:19
I had a sudden thought about this thread over the weekend when I saw a Kingfisher 20, it may have been a 20+. Big boat inside for its size. They handle relatively well for a bilge keeler and are generally well under your budget. Pete Hill [Annie's ex husband] sailed one to Newport in the 2006 Jester Challenge, when most of the competitors were knocked out by bad weather so they must be able to handle a bit of a blow. Blondie Hasler favoured one after he sold Jester, but had his with a junk rig as did Pete Hill in 2006.

A certain author of a well known East Coast Pilot type of book also has a longing for a junk rig Kingfisher 20.

There is one at Bridgemarsh.....but its not for sale, apparently.

Toutvabien
01-11-10, 20:28
however I am not sure such a small boat would work for me, (as I am 6ft tall and weigh 19 stone, ex prop forward)

I am not so concerned about vertical head room, but I probably need a boat with decent lateral "head" room, as I would not want to get stuck in the heads when single handing. I can imagine the MCA report into such an incident.

I am often to be found trying the heads for size at boat shows, having been on boats with tiny toilets I must aknowledge that it is a significant issue for those of us with bigger bottoms.

Having been on the case for a week or so now I am beggining to suspect that finding a suitable boat is going to be significantly harder than I initially anticipated. The suggestions received from forum members have been cracking, several have found their way on to my long list, but finding one in decent nick may prove difficult. I do not want a "project", there seem to be a lot of them knocking about, old boats that have been left to rot for years or sailed into the ground with little routine work done on them. Rather I am looking for one that is in reasonable condition with a reliable engine and decent rig, I don't mind replacing sails, cooker, upholstery etc but nothing that involves tearing the boat apart such as headlining.

Thinking about it I guess that few people will be selling well sorted smallish boats, (with a good sized heads compartment) in good condition. Still I do like a challenge.

Glayva
02-11-10, 08:19
Here's an Itchen Ferry at Bradwell. Looks in good nick and the heads [see picture] seem a reasonable size. I notice the seller has declined one offer, but at close to 4000 his price [to me] seems at the top of the scale.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220683788147

I know quite a large fellow both vertically [over 6'] and horizontally [possibly 19 stone +] that owns a junk rigged Kingfisher 20+. I haven't enquired whether or not he fits into the heads. He used to have Val 31 trimaran but decided to leave it in the middle of the Atlantic when a passing ship offered him a lift.

OR4751
02-11-10, 09:11
http://www.arcamax.com/newspics/13/1339/133958.gif

Tongue firmly in cheek
:p:p:p

Toutvabien
02-11-10, 12:41
http://www.arcamax.com/newspics/13/1339/133958.gif

Tongue firmly in cheek
:p:p:p

I will be buying a REALLY BIG boat in a few years time!!

OR4751
02-11-10, 13:21
I will be buying a REALLY BIG boat in a few years time!!

:cool::cool::cool:
A new - hardly used - aircraft carrier (aircraft not included) should hit the market in a couple of years.

Good luck finding a berth though :p

Toutvabien
02-11-10, 19:00
:cool::cool::cool:
A new - hardly used - aircraft carrier (aircraft not included) should hit the market in a couple of years.

Good luck finding a berth though :p

Guapa, that sounds ideal, I assume that it will be flogged off through one of those old style Admiralty Auctions. I think I had some old kapok life jackets through a simlar route so I am familiar with the purchasing process.

I have a berth at Brightlingsea, I am told that they are very accomodating to existing berth holders that buy larger boats. Would need to be on the outside of the pontoon though to facilitate winding the boat into the tide.