PDA

View Full Version : How many liveaboards are there?

IanJackson
30-10-10, 17:49
I thought it would be interesting to conduct a little survey on how many liveaboards there are. Sometimes when we are cruising in the Med, there is not a boat in sight, well maybe a tanker or a cruise ship in the distance, but definitely no liveaboards. I know from this forum and the interesting and lively discussions that take place that there must be quite a number. I noticed one member (Binch) said he had been a liveaboard for 35 years – is this a record? This is just for fun and maybe some interesting facts will emerge about the liveaboard community. Here are a few questions I thought of, but feel free to ignore any questions or add any pearls of wisdom.

1. Boat Name
2. Make/model/age of boat
3. Number on board (adults/children/animals)
4. How long have you been a liveaboard?
5. Where have you been cruising in 2010?
6. Where are you overwintering?
7. What are your plans for 2011?
8. Any other comments on life, loves and the universe.

Jenny and Ian Jackson

Tradewinds
30-10-10, 17:56
I noticed one member (Binch) said he had been a liveaboard for 35 years – is this a record?

I stand to be corrected but I think forum member Binch has an alter ego called Bill Cooper.

This man, along with his lovely wife Laurel, has been responsible for many of us making life-changing decisions.

IanJackson
30-10-10, 18:08
1. Solent Clipper
2. 2002 Beneteau 36cc
3. 2 adults and a dog, Fran
4. May 2009
5. France, Spain, Gibraltar, Ceuta
6. Almerimar and UK
7. Cruising Corsica, Sardinia, Italy and beyond - perhaps
8. Love the liveaboard liftstyle but miss my family and friends - Jenny
Why is the wind always on the nose? - Ian

charles_reed
30-10-10, 18:20
I thought it would be interesting to conduct a little survey on how many liveaboards there are. Sometimes when we are cruising in the Med, there is not a boat in sight, well maybe a tanker or a cruise ship in the distance, but definitely no liveaboards. I know from this forum and the interesting and lively discussions that take place that there must be quite a number. I noticed one member (Binch) said he had been a liveaboard for 35 years – is this a record? This is just for fun and maybe some interesting facts will emerge about the liveaboard community. Here are a few questions I thought of, but feel free to ignore any questions or add any pearls of wisdom.

1. Boat Name

Jenny and Ian Jackson
1. "Flica"
2. 1990 Parker 31
3. usually single-handed
4. not really liveaboard - only boat-based 5-8/12, since 2000
5. this year x2 round the Gulf of Corinth, x2 to Kriti and once round the island
6. Messolonghi and Waters Upton.
7. I'll let you know when we get there
8. It's my only grip on good health and sanity. Escape from quacks!!!
Interestingly, my annual mileage has dropped from 3200 when I was working to about 1650-1700 now I've time to do it. Perhaps the onset of maturity and wisdom?

capnsensible
30-10-10, 21:35
Lived on our boat for 13 years. Its nice.

Downsman
30-10-10, 21:45
Lived on our boat for 13 years. Its nice.

15 yrs..:p. Where I am all the err liveaboards have gone ..err home..:eek:
Pssst! I reckon they've got houses..:D :D

CMonster
30-10-10, 22:06
QUOTE=IanJackson;2692070]I thought it would be interesting to conduct a little survey on how many liveaboards there are.

Yes, there are lots and lots, more than I could have ever believed, and I think that is a very interesting survey, however, you will need to define liveaboard......to us, a liveaboard is a person/couple/family unit who have given up their base in the mother country and traded that for a full time life on board some sort of yacht (motor or sail or otherwise).
There are many who enjoy the delights of Mediterranean summer (perhaps excluding July/August cos it is too hot) and consider themselves liveaboard even though they go 'home' i.e to a land base for the winter, as well. We know a lot of these peeps and they would consider themselves liveaboards, but is that really the case or do they really just have a holiday home?

There is also a big difference between those that traded a mother country base for a foreign base and then decide to go nowhere, or nowhere very far, so they are basically mostly static in a foreign marina, usually Marmaris, or Ionian in the Med, using a yacht as a house in a foreign land.

And then there are the ' real liveaboard cruisers' with no particular base, those that roam and spend most of their live on board the boat, and do not have a comfortable residence to return to, or to store their non-essential possessions, when the going gets tough, or the weather a tad less tolerable.........

Let me sum it up. Some people liveaboard fulltime 24/7 12 months a year, and not just in a convenient marina base/caravan park, and there are those who choose to divide their time between a yacht and home. What proportion of that time do you consider liveaboard?

This year, for the first time, we are headed to Yat Marin, Marmaris, so we can travel elsewhere for 3 months in our winter.Normally we live afloat, aboard in a Med base and experience the local winter life, storms, etc. I estimate that the owners of more than 90% of yachts in our winter base, Yat Marin, are back in a comfy warm home, landbased environment, enjoying all the normal comforts of their mother country.
Perhaps you might gain more insight to your survey if you ask which months of the year, in general, these people are aboard their boats.

1. Boat Name Matador
2. Make/model/age of boat; Rival 41
3. Number on board (adults/children/animals);2
4. How long have you been a liveaboard?;4+ yrs
5. Where have you been cruising in 2010? Black Sea, Aegean, Turkey
6. Where are you overwintering?, Turkey
7. What are your plans for 2011?, W Med, Atlantic
Love it..... bring it on.......

maxi77
30-10-10, 23:15
I suspect we do not really classify as liveaboards as we both have a real bricks and mortar home, and we have no plans to do this permanently but we have sailed from Scotland to the Algarve and are living on the boat and will be spending the majority of our time on the boat for some time, till we decide to do something else.

At the end of the day I care not whether I fit some ones definition or not, I am enjoying myself whilst I can and the money lasts

mandlmaunder
31-10-10, 01:20
1. Manatee
2. Solaris Sunstar 36 cat 12 yrs
3. 1 adult and her husband
4. 7 yrs
5. Mexico,Cuba,Florida,Georgia,N&S Carolina,Virinia,Maryland,The Virgin Islands
6. The US Virgin Islands
7. more of the Caribbean
8. I don't care how long any one lives on a boat, it's the living on a boat that counts and if they are unlucky enough not to be able to live full time aboard any time is better than none.
I will even talk to folks who charter in the hopes that they to will catch the bug and make the change, it has worked a few times now!
Being a live aboard is a mind set but not all minds are set the same.
I have a friend named Kylie and she was born on a boat is older than Binch has been living on board but discretion being a gentlemans best defence forbids telling how old she is but she now lives on her own boat with her boyfriend and will continue to do so for some time to come

My wife misses a garden and a hot soak in a bath and long summer evenings.
Me, I miss my Arsenal season ticket, but that was a sacrifice I had to make to be this happy nearly all the time.

Mark
Coral Bay St John , USVI
If you look on google earth and check out Coral Bay you can see Manatee in the north west corner.

Sy-Revolution
31-10-10, 13:15
1. Revolution.
2. Comar, Comet 11, '79
3. 2 Adults, 1 Child, 1 Dog.
4. 1.5 years. No house, just the boat.
5. Portugal, S. Spain, Balearics.
6. Monastir, Tunisia.
7. Greece Islands/Turkey.
8. We're glad we did it and left the UK. Had a great summer of long hot days. Problems we've encountered, 1. Not enough cruising kids, that we've met anyway. 2. Shouldn't have got a dog as you can't take the damn things on any form of public transport (except taxis here in Monastir), or on any beaches in the balearics (500 euro fine). Can't wait to cruise greece............................................ ....................... and get the dog a new home!

C.

Roaring Girl
31-10-10, 13:31
1. Roaring Girl
2. Maxi 120, 33 years old
3. 2 adults and occasional visitors.
4. We take it from June 2003 when we moved aboard, so 7.5 years
5. 2010 - Rome. Elba, Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily, Malta
6. Malta and UK
7. Tunisia, Sicily, Calabria then Venice or Greece.
8. It is absolutely right that there are lots of definitions. We lived aboard full time in the UK, with no house for 3 years and then cruised the Med three years with no house, making trips to the UK to earn money, and then last year bought a house but still aim to spend 6+ months cruising. But not all cruisers have a pension so have to make money somehow and for us that has meant regular returns to the UK.

Whether you see a lot of liveaboards is also a function of where you are. We call it the sparrow's path - so when we wintered in Toulon, we were the only ones, but there were several in Rome, a few in Rota, and lots in Malta. We really noticed this year, leaving the Tuscan Islands and into Corsica and Cagliari that we saw more liveaboards/long summerers than we've seen for quite a while.

Ariadne
31-10-10, 14:00
I answer to to C Monster, we live on board 24/7/365. No bricks and mortar anywhere, just own a hole in sea surrounded by GRP.

1. CAPE
2. Gitana 43, built Cape Town 1981
3. 2 adults, Bethany 12 & Bryn 11
4. 4 years in Feb'
5. Came from Gulf of Patras to the Rio Guardiana
6. Heading down the Moroccan Atlantic coast in about 2 weeks then on the Canaries.
7. Azores, Madeira, Selvagen islands , Canaries (again), Cape Verde, Senegal & Gambia; but subject to change.
8. Never met anybody who said "they wished they had left it later" yet. Great life and it only gets better.

RAI
31-10-10, 15:17
1. Boat Name : Jonathan-Livingston
2. Make/model/age of boat: Coronet Elvstrom 38 built 1977
3. Number on board (adults/children/animals): 1 when possible 2
4. How long have you been a liveaboard?: 6 months so far.
5. Where have you been cruising in 2010? From Brussels, now in Nazare, Portugal
6. Where are you overwintering?: On board - somewhere.
7. What are your plans for 2011? Into the Med and out again by July.
8. Any other comments on life, loves and the universe. Cutting the umbilical is not easy. I'm still figuring out how to live (legally) without an address.

I suppose that stresses the live-aboard definition a bit further - who manages with only the current marina, or a local post box, as an address?

Downsman
31-10-10, 16:43
P.O Box numbers are not accepted by some Government Departments as home addresses. DVLC, Passport Office etc: I use a good mate's address and it's worked well for 15 years for pension, bank, driving licence etc:

Get yourself a junk address too. Mine's a derelict tobacconist's, the name over the door..licensed to sell..that's me..:D The post code for that address you can get from the local library, my 'landline' telephone is the local Tesco Shop.

Some commercial concerns insist on those details when buying something, Screwfix, Pc World to name just two, then they put you in their data bases and you get rubbish. My rubbish goes to the derelict shop...not my mate.

The robots cannot accept that you live on a boat, they Must have the details "for our records Sir" it's easier to feed them if they want feeding..Don't fight the system..just bend it slightly..Good luck.:D :D

fergie_mac66
31-10-10, 17:13
wonder if the tax man could use this info

Downsman
31-10-10, 17:36
Doubt it...unless he wants a catalogue from Screwfix or 10% off at Boots the Chemist. Everything else he can get from my registered Uk address...:D

KellysEye
31-10-10, 17:48
Kelly's Eye
De Vries Lentsch steel ketch 1980
Two
Six and a half years
Portugal back to UK
N/A
Growing vegetables

I agree with the definition of liveaboards - only those who move around and live on their boat 24 x365. Those who fly back for six months are called 'snowbirds'.

RAI
31-10-10, 20:50
P.O Box numbers are not accepted ...Thanks for the tip. I does raise the question as to which country it's best to borrow an address in, and hence which ensign to wear. Preferably one where there is no "luxury" tax on the boat and one which recognises one's existing qualifications to drive it. Low taxes and a generous health services come in handy too.

Downsman
31-10-10, 21:17
Thanks for the tip. I does raise the question as to which country it's best to borrow an address in, and hence which ensign to wear. Preferably one where there is no "luxury" tax on the boat and one which recognises one's existing qualifications to drive it. Low taxes and a generous health services come in handy too.

Ah! Your circumstances must be different to mine. Choice of country, that's easy I'm English and proud to fly the Red Ensign, so luxury tax or qualifications don't affect me as they might you.
I'm on a service pension so my taxes are all properly paid up via my registered address. But the other address is for general use and to avoid the sales vultures who obtain personal details and insist on trying to sell me double glazing..with a free green house..for a 10 metre sloop..:D :D

blueglass
01-11-10, 09:03
for the record we spend april - October on board (inc july /august - just swim more if we get hot) and home for winter therefore per say we do NOT think of ourselves as liveaboards,
but I have to say a certain smugness is creeping into the thread from proper, real, genuine,authentic, dyed in the wool, certified salty seadog liveaboards. We all choose our own lifestyles and have no right to regard ourselves as superior to others who have chosen differently.Why get hung up on pigeonholes? I regard my split time between Med and UK as perfect. I have it both ways and therefore miss nothing - I have no desire whatever to go liveaboard - thats my choice. I don't feel superior to folks who only use their boat for short holidays or indeed inferior to livaboards.

vyv_cox
01-11-10, 09:43
for the record we spend april - October on board (inc july /august - just swim more if we get hot) and home for winter therefore per say we do NOT think of ourselves as liveaboards,
but I have to say a certain smugness is creeping into the thread from proper, real, genuine,authentic, dyed in the wool, certified salty seadog liveaboards. We all choose our own lifestyles and have no right to regard ourselves as superior to others who have chosen differently.Why get hung up on pigeonholes? I regard my split time between Med and UK as perfect. I have it both ways and therefore miss nothing - I have no desire whatever to go liveaboard - thats my choice. I don't feel superior to folks who only use their boat for short holidays or indeed inferior to livaboards.

I agree wholeheartedly. We live aboard in the summer and live in the house in the winter. I see very little attraction in living in a port for several months in the winter when I can be at home in UK. Fine for those who want it but it doesn't make their choice in any way superior or inferior to mine.

blueglass
01-11-10, 10:16
I agree wholeheartedly. We live aboard in the summer and live in the house in the winter. I see very little attraction in living in a port for several months in the winter when I can be at home in UK. Fine for those who want it but it doesn't make their choice in any way superior or inferior to mine.

exactly.

choice 1 for a winters evening.
couple of pints and a steak and ale pie at a welcoming british pub, followed by a comfortable armchair in front of a roaring log fire back at home.

choice 2 for a winter's evening

a couple of glasses of eurofizz inside a soulless taverna when you find one thats open - (they're just not the same when you eat inside)followed by lurking down below with the rain hammering down on the coachroof.

mmmm......

For me boats are all about the outdoor life.al fresco eating, swimming and cruising. A wet winter aboard holds no delights.

And before everybody piles in with their reports of wonderful winter's days sailing - which I'm sure occasionally happen - lets be honest, most liveaboards I know hole up for the winter somewhere cheap and not very cheerful and wait for spring. Not knocking it - its just not for me.

rivonia
01-11-10, 10:30
Have lived aboard for many many years and we have no bricks and morter. We sold up and live off my pension.

11 meter solaris sunrise Catamaran

Now cruising the Ionian and then on into the Agean.

The winters are great for meeting fellow yachties who live aboard as there is so much to do and talk about.

Just the two of us

The only thing to stop us would be a health issue and old age/infirmaty. We hope for many more years sailing to come.

Peter

mike_bryon
01-11-10, 13:43
I agree with VyV Cox that whatever your choice it is not in any way superior or inferior to mine. But the point made by Blueglass about boat in summer, house in winter and “most liveaboards holed up for the winter somewhere cheap and not very cheerful and wait for spring” does not apply to for example the Caribbean.

Bejasus
01-11-10, 14:05
1. Boat Name: Bejasus
2. Make/Model: Hardin Voyager 45 1980 - Cutter/Ketch
3. Self & SWMBO
4. House sold & boat purchased: 2006 - Moss Point, Mississippi, USA
5. Current location - Near Savannah, Georgia, USA

Had the boat hauled and painted & re-rigged in 2007.
Got stuck here in 2008 when swmbo had nasty compound leg break 3 weeks before Atlantic crossing to Spain. Economy crashed, Barcelona became expensive, swmbo got a job etc, so decided to stay in the US. Intend moving south to Florida in 2011 to be that much closer to the Bahamas. Looking forwards to retirement in 6 years(depending on whether or not the gov't moves the goalposts), and then be full time cruising. Meantime, we just keep fixing/updating improving things until that day comes. We have thought about getting a pick up and camper for touring in the summer months when it gets too hot here and it is hurricane season.

KellysEye
01-11-10, 16:48
>I have to say a certain smugness is creeping into the thread from proper, real, genuine,authentic, dyed in the wool, certified salty seadog liveaboards.

I don't think there is anything smug about being a liveabord it is just a definition. We certainly don't have any problems about snowbirds, holiday sailors, day sailors, charterers, dinghy sailorsor anyone sailing. However jetskis...

AndrewB
01-11-10, 19:45
1. Boat Name - "Sentinel"
2. Make/model/age of boat - Roberts 38 / 27 years
3. Number on board (adults/children/animals) - 2 adults
4. How long have you been a liveaboard? - 15 years on and off. 6 years on, this time.
5. Where have you been cruising in 2010? - New Zealand.
6. Where are you overwintering? - Winter? What's 'winter'??
7. What are your plans for 2011? - NZ -> Tonga -> Fiji -> Vanuatu -> Australia
8. Any other comments on life, loves and the universe. - Most missed item (other than family & friends): soaking in a hot bath. Dead right, Mrs Mandlmaunder!

Freshbreeze
01-11-10, 20:53

1. Boat Name

Jenny and Ian Jackson

I am a full time, live no-where else other than the boat liveaboard!

1. Duetto
2. Macwester 26 built 1967
3. 2 adults
4. Me - over 3 years Crew - 1 year
5. Bristol Channel, Irish sea, Isle of Mann
6. Where I end up!
7. Head south then follow my nose!
8. Sailing is hours of pleasure, interupted by moments of madness!

sailorman
01-11-10, 20:56
I am a full time, live no-where else other than the boat liveaboard!

1. Duetto
2. Macwester 26 built 1967
3. 2 adults
4. Me - over 3 years Crew - 1 year
5. Bristol Channel, Irish sea, Isle of Mann
6. Where I end up!
7. Head south then follow my nose!
8. Sailing is hours of pleasure, interupted by moments of madness!

Duetto was for many years based on the River Deben in Suffolk

Freshbreeze
01-11-10, 21:44
Duetto was for many years based on the River Deben in Suffolk

Yes this is correct.

I bought her from the blackwater area, and have sailed and lived aboard Duetto since December 2009.

blueglass
02-11-10, 09:16
I agree with VyV Cox that whatever your choice it is not in any way superior or inferior to mine. But the point made by Blueglass about boat in summer, house in winter and “most liveaboards holed up for the winter somewhere cheap and not very cheerful and wait for spring” does not apply to for example the Caribbean.

hands up to that one - was thinking med.

phanakapan
02-11-10, 09:26
1. Boat Name Brea Vean
2. Make/model/age of boat Van de Stadt Seal steel sloop hull 20 years old in commission 10 years
3. Number on board 2 adults
4. How long have you been a liveaboard? since April this year
5. Where have you been cruising in 2010? From Brighton to Chichester...! but in all fairness we have been renovating including out of the water for blasting, moving the galley from one side of the boat to the other, and we're still working
6. Where are you overwintering? Brighton, as mentioned above still working
7. What are your plans for 2011? Hopefully leaving june for long term cruising
8. Any other comments on life, loves and the universe.We do think of ourselves as liveaboards, even though we do have a house nearby that is currently occupied by offspring- still it's handy for laundry, baths, X Factor, post.A room became available recently when my daughter left for Australia, but we chose to get a lodger and continue living on the boat. I'm finding it a bit tough at the moment, mainly because the boat is a complete shambles of a building site, and as the days tick by it seems impossible that we will manage to sort the kids/ parents/ an income out in time to go...

duncan99210
02-11-10, 16:46
1. Boat Name: Rampage
2. Make/model/age of boat: Bavaria 38, 10 years old

3. Number on board: 2 adults

4. How long have you been a liveaboard? Since July 2009

5. Where have you been cruising in 2010? Last year from Menai Bridge to Barcelona, this year to Gouvia, Corfu via Balearics, Sardinia, Corsica, Italy and on to here.
6. Where are you overwintering? Gouvia, Corfu

7. What are your plans for 2011? Cruise Ionian and then onwards – no firm plans as yet.

8. Any other comments on life, loves and the universe. Life ain’t a rehearsal and seeing as the kids are all now self-sufficient(ish), the mortgage is paid off and there’s enough money in the pot to make it all work, this is the life for us! I know why we didn’t do it years ago (no money, kids too young) but now we’re doing it we can imagine no other life.

Eeyore
03-11-10, 08:26
1. Boat Name Rhumb Do
2. Make/model/age of boat Trident Marine Warrior 35 Mk III.....32yrs old
3. Number on board (adults/children/animals) One (usually)
4. How long have you been a liveaboard? June 2006 on permanent basis
5. Where have you been cruising in 2010? Egypt, Sudan, Eritrea, Yemen, Oman, India, Malaysia.
6. Where are you overwintering? Winter???
7. What are your plans for 2011? Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia
8. Any other comments on life, loves and the universe. It's a hard life!

scoty
03-11-10, 18:58
Sold up 1998 been on board 24/7 , french canals and west med; cruising etc Hic.

regret not doing it sooner,
solo, with parrot and penguin (stuffed)

IanJackson
03-11-10, 22:45
We are really enjoying reading your replies and all the discussions that it has generated. Keep the replies coming. If there is enough info, I will carry out some statistics, i.e. longerst liveaboard, most unusual pet, best quote, smallest boat etc. May be difficult as we are such a diverse group of individuals!

For the purposes of this survey (which is only for fun) the definition of a liveaboard is,
'IF YOU THINK YOU ARE A LIVEABOARD, THEN YOU ARE A LIVEABOARD!'

Jenny

binch
04-11-10, 08:28
Having been outed, first, thanks for the complement.
What is live-aboard?
IMO, it is one who has no shoreside home or base, and lives in a boat that is mobile.
It does not include house-boats that run aground on their own debris.
It does not include those who sail in summer and go back to bricks and mortar in winter (aka "swallows" or in USA "snowbirds".
The world of live-aboards has changed since 1975 when we started. We encountered very few others in those days. A few on the intra-coastal, a few in Majorca. Very few elsewhere.
Most real live-aboards then were ocean sailors.
In the eighties, there was a big influx of people who started off cruising the Med, eventually found a nice free nook in the Greek islands, got a local job, and now scarcely ever move. I think this all started when facilities started to be provided for people wintering aboard in marinas.
Well, we are not very fit these days, and have had to give up sea-going at least for the time being, so we have shacked up for a while on the French canals. We hope to start again soon but as I have passed 80 a few years ago now, the runes are not that auspicious.
But none of this matters in boating. Anyone who loves boats is my friend.
And the great joy of the cruising life is the tot in the taverna with people you have never met before, but with whom you feel "at home". This still happens inland, especially with passing boats

Downsman
04-11-10, 09:07

Jenny

Thank goodness you posted that..because I am in fact a Sherpa, well I think I am anyway..The only problem is when I go in El Supermarcado they chase me out because my crampons ruin the floor... apparently..:D :D :D

IanJackson
04-11-10, 10:20
I think that may be a contender for best quote category!!!!!!!

JamesFrance
04-11-10, 11:12
I was'nt going to post in this topic, because we are not liveaboards now, having a house to see to. It's really a long term plan for if we become less mobile at some future time. We do spend several months on board including in winter when the weather is much better in Spain than where the house is.

However we have twice sold houses, furniture and cars to live on boats. The first time being in 1969 when we bought an old wooden motorsailer in Malta and ended up in Falmouth 2 years later.
http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk432/JamesFrance/Yachts/MaltaGregale.jpg

The second time, 12 years ago, we had a 70ft narrowboat built and spent 4 years on the British canals, although we did winter in Spain and Portugal in a motorhome.
http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk432/JamesFrance/Canals/TanyaNo9.jpg

Slow_boat
04-11-10, 15:42
I had no idea there was so much pigeon-holing, snobbery and heirarchy amongst 'liveaboards'

I'm not sure if I want to join in that. :-(

Downsman
04-11-10, 15:52
Well that depends whether you are suitable. I've never seen you at Wimbledon or Henley in the season so you will need to be looked at ...rather carefully...Right, now do you have an after cabin..mmm? http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk136/highandry_photos/smilies%20and%20avatars/d_coffee.gif

tri39
04-11-10, 16:15
I only spend two months each year living aboard in the Med. Over the last twenty one years that's 3.5 years!! Work does rather interrupt travel. However now I'm in receipt of an NHS pension, my family still think 2mnths a year is quite enough!

vyv_cox
04-11-10, 17:27
I had no idea there was so much pigeon-holing, snobbery and heirarchy amongst 'liveaboards'

My experience is that it only exists on liveaboard forums ;) On the water or the quayside nobody cares whether you are aboard for three months or three years. They are all united in watching whether the charter boats are dropping their anchors across theirs!

jordanbasset
04-11-10, 17:58
We are really enjoying reading your replies and all the discussions that it has generated. Keep the replies coming. If there is enough info, I will carry out some statistics, i.e. longerst liveaboard, most unusual pet, best quote, smallest boat etc. May be difficult as we are such a diverse group of individuals!

For the purposes of this survey (which is only for fun) the definition of a liveaboard is,

Jenny

I think this is an excellent way of looking at it rather than others trying to pigeon hole people

blueglass
04-11-10, 18:35

couldn't agree more. didn't even know I was only a swallow/snowbird or whatever. thought I just had a boat.

binch
04-11-10, 20:35
Thanks Ian- how perceptive of you--I can live with that! We are at present moored in Cambrai, visiting UK at regular intervals because B has eye problems. Good cruising.
Lovely Little Laurel.

jordanbasset
05-11-10, 08:27
H Ian

1. Boat Name - Seren-mor
2. Make/model/age of boat - Bavaria 38, 2003
3. Number on board (adults/children/animals) - 2 Adults
4. How long have you been a liveaboard?- 8 months
5. Where have you been cruising in 2010? -West coast of France, Northern Spain, Portugal, S/W Spain and Spanish med coast
6. Where are you overwintering? - Almerimar
7. What are your plans for 2011? - Balearics, Corsica, Sardinia, Sicilly, maybe as far as Greece, but if not then the following year, we are in no hurry
8. Any other comments on life, loves and the universe. - we are so lucky!

KellysEye
05-11-10, 17:02
>'IF YOU THINK YOU ARE A LIVEABOARD, THEN YOU ARE A LIVEABOARD!'

If you intend to publish a list of boat types/sizes I'm not sure that's a good idea i.e. it should show fulltime, part time. The reason is if somebody is looking to go liveaboard/long distance they will check out what boats are used (we did). What we noticed at that stage and after we set off is that liveaboard/long distance boats tend to different from those that spend all their time in a marina or liveaboard part time.

Ludd
06-11-10, 23:55
1) BOAT NAME__El Viento
2)NAB 35---------1973
3)Just me
4) 6years --then to infinity---and beyond!
5) Clyde to the Algarve
6)Winters only happen in Scotland---I was in Largs last winter!
7)Plans?Plans??

I'm on my own, and the hard bit is having no-one with you when pilot whales sweep up alongside or when shooting stars light up the sky in mid -ocean---pure magic!

ccscott49
08-11-10, 08:02
Englander, been living aboard, permanently for 16 years, cruising Ionian now, based in Gouvia. Just the two of us. Love the life wouldnt change it, even if we did have the mother of all storms here last night!!

IanJackson
09-11-10, 18:47
Thank you for all the replies so far but please keep them coming. So far we have 29 'liveaboards' of all shapes and sizes! We have had 50 replies on this thread and 3,418 viewings.

JamesFrance - glad you took the time to reply and we love the photos. What a diverse lot we are!

Jenny

JamesFrance
09-11-10, 19:19
Thankyou Jenny. The first picture is of us moored to Manoel Island in Malta during a gregale. We had to pull away from the quay because there was a big surge starting and the photo was taken by our neighbour just before he jumped in to take our children ashore to stay in his hotel until it went down. You can't see his boats but he did fishing day charters with a pair of Chriscraft moored alongside us. We did a few day charters when they were too busy and earned £25 per day which seemed a lot in 1969. Here is another photo of the old boat in Portofino.
http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk432/JamesFrance/Yachts/FairbrightPortofino1970.jpg

mike_bryon
09-11-10, 23:09
1. Boat Name Dark Horse
2. Make/model/age of boat Southern Ocean shipyard /Ocean 60 / 30 years
3. Number on board (adults/children/animals) depends much of the time 2/4/2, on passage as many as 10 people, the rest of the time me.
4. How long have you been a liveaboard? 61/2 years
5. Where have you been cruising in 2010? Venice to the Windward islands.
6. Where are you overwintering? The Grenadines but you can’t call it winter
7. What are your plans for 2011? Maybe Azores for the summer then back to the Cape Verde and onto Brazil or back to the Caribbean for Christmas.
8. Any other comments on life, loves and the universe. Keep it simple.

lenseman
10-11-10, 02:50
I thought it would be interesting to conduct a little survey on how many liveaboards there are. . . . .

Me too. :)

S/Y "Surabaya Girl" - 2DTW3
Currently in Haslar Marina, Gosport UK

rivonia
10-11-10, 07:03
Thank you for all the replies so far but please keep them coming. So far we have 29 'liveaboards' of all shapes and sizes! We have had 50 replies on this thread and 3,418 viewings.

JamesFrance - glad you took the time to reply and we love the photos. What a diverse lot we are!

Jenny

Hi we have 32 live aboards here in Lefkas marina

ccscott49
10-11-10, 08:15

No it certainly doesnt, but if you can only afford a boat and not a house aswell, then your choice is limited.

Maurice55
11-11-10, 20:19
Mathilda
Junk rigged Grundel
2 adults
6 years
wintering in Corsica for work, coastal cruising in the summer, on board all year long and loving it. If we could afford it, we probably would have a land base but we can't and are no less happy.

HinewaisMan
12-11-10, 10:18
1. Boat Name - Hinewai
2. Make/model/age of boat - Roberts Mauritus Ketch 45ft - launched NZ 1984
3. Number on board (adults/children/animals) - 2 adults, 4 teddy bears and 2 glove puppets
4. How long have you been a liveaboard? - 4 Years
5. Where have you been cruising in 2010? - Turkey to UK
6. Where are you overwintering? - Ispwich
7. What are your plans for 2011? - Work to top up the cruising funds then the Baltic
8. Any other comments on life, loves and the universe - ever noticed how hard it is to explain that exquisite shade of orange on that mid ocean sunrise unless it's to someone else who's seen it.

SimonJ
13-11-10, 10:51

1. Boat Name

Jenny and Ian Jackson

I respectfully suggest you do not use the term 'Liveaboard' which while possibly accurate has unfortunate connotations in some places as it also often refers to run down, ill maintained, dirty, immovable, near wrecks etc etc . "Long term Cruisers" is often considered a more accurate description!

Downsman
13-11-10, 15:12
What's in a name? That which we call a rose......I'd go on but the 'Roaches 'ave nibbled me keyboard and the rat that lives under the galley stove is chancing his luck in the bread bin again..:D :D :D

saxonpirate
13-11-10, 15:47
I respectfully suggest you do not use the term 'Liveaboard' which while possibly accurate has unfortunate connotations in some places as it also often refers to run down, ill maintained, dirty, immovable, near wrecks etc etc .

Phew!!! for a minute there I thought you were referring to me Simon....:D

jordanbasset
13-11-10, 16:59
I respectfully suggest you do not use the term 'Liveaboard' which while possibly accurate has unfortunate connotations in some places as it also often refers to run down, ill maintained, dirty, immovable, near wrecks etc etc . "Long term Cruisers" is often considered a more accurate description!

Well I can understand what you are saying, but, as the forum we are on is called the 'liveaboard link', it does seem a reasonable name for it :-)

lenseman
14-11-10, 06:28

Liveaboard is far better and much more universally recognised.

Cruising has a very clear meaning in the homosexual world!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruising_for_sex

rigman
14-11-10, 06:49
Liveaboard is far better and much more universally recognised.

Cruising has a very clear meaning in the homosexual world!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruising_for_sex

As the late great George Melly said "I only joined the navy for the rum bum and baccy"

johnwest
14-11-10, 10:32
Much prefer the title " Liveaboard ". moved onto a boat in 1999, an Elizabethan 30, then a Westerly Seahawk, kept on getting lost on board with all the extra space and three cabins, but did loose the stoop because I could stand upright when below, and then moved over to the dark side two years ago.

1 Brooklyn Lady
2 C-kip 38' 1979
3 Two
4 Eleven years
5 A little in the Solent, using more varnish than diesel
6 Haslar Marina, just up from Lenseman
7 Finish the varnishing, recaulk the decks and re-seal a couple of windows and some more jolly's in the Solent and along the south coast.
8 Aim to continue the life style as long as possible, We both love it.

We spent the night in Messalonghi, back in may, alongside in front of Flica. Wish I had known and had a chat with the owner.

j

RAI
14-11-10, 12:17
I respectfully suggest you do not use the term 'Liveaboard' which while possibly accurate has unfortunate connotations in some places as it also often refers to run down, ill maintained, dirty, immovable, near wrecks etc etc . "Long term Cruisers" is often considered a more accurate description!People who live on cruise liners?

How about marinised (marinated?) mobile home owners? Sea Gypsies? Mermen/maids? Marine Nomads?

Nah! I'll stick with liveaboards.

dave.zap
15-11-10, 08:44
This is the thread that keeps on giving, so here goes...

1. Constellation
2. Contessa 26 / 1973
3. 1
4. newbie, 1 month.
5. Just brought the boat, waiting for motor to be fixed!!!
6. Winter?
7. Wellington NZ via tasman sea then visit friends in pacific islands.
8. Oh god, what have I done :)

Artic Warrior
28-01-14, 23:21
My wife and I will be full timers from march 31st 2014
Boat a Damien 40
currently Marmaris Turkey

Peroo
28-01-14, 23:34
OK I'll bite.......

1. Andromeda
2. Contest 42, circa 1977/78
3. 2
4. Since 2009
5. Where have you been cruising in 2010? ?err. are you sure? In 2010 it was Portugal, Spain, Gibraltar, Madeira, Azores, Madeira, Canaries, Cape Verde, Barbados
6. Hurricane season - Trinidad 2010-2013
7. What are your plans for 2011? Sorted out the boat. For 2014, a return to Europe
8. Any other comments on life, loves and the universe. Well 42 to start with, sorry, a Douglas Adams fan. Wouldn't have missed it - cost us a fortune in repairs, but the places we have been and people we have met has been priceless. Still together after 36 years as well!

End of a dream for us though........

chuckr
29-01-14, 09:39
1. SoulMates
2. Jeanneau DS 40 - built 2001 - launched 2003
3. 2 adults (really 1 adult (admiral) and i kid)
4. over 6 years
5. eastern and western caribbean, across atlantic, azores, portugal, spain, balerics, sardinia, tunisia
6. port yasmine hammamet tunisia
7. for 2014 - italy, croatia, albania, and back to tunisia for winter
8. nothing

Ashman
29-01-14, 19:38
'Moonstone of Aberdour'
Victory 40 Ketch launched in 1973
A retired couple
Since May last year
Atlantic Spain and Portugal
Currently wandering around the Canaries, currently moored Isla la Palma
Soon heading for Cape Verde, then Brazil, then......?
Living a wonderful life!

nickf
29-01-14, 20:29
Another post back from the dead!

elenya
31-01-14, 04:34
1. Elenya
2. Skentelbery Saga (Saltram)40 1981
3. 2
4. 32 years
5. south and north pacific last few years
6. Lyttelton New Zealand for a year or two
7. Alaska next to continue where we left off in Guam
8. If you come to NZ, go south and cruise Fiordland and Stewart island and further south, rugged but beautiful. www.yachtelenya.blogspot.com

theguerns
21-02-14, 15:04
wife FeelsGood
boat name FeelsGood
life FeelsGood
home port morlaix france FeelsGood
No pets (shame)
No Kids FeelsGood
Many Friends FeelsGood
jus returned from Alicanti SPain FeelsGood
Retired 17 years FeelsGood
No house FeelsGood