PDA

View Full Version : Which fan to fit?

Talbot
04-11-10, 13:57
going to be taking the boat towards hotter places in a few years time. The question is which fans to fit. I have narrowed the choice between

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ywUCrCpuL._SL350_.jpg
The Hella Turbo

or spending a bit more for the

http://www.sailgb.com/Thumbnail.aspx?w=325&h=325&f=/pi/MeridianZero/Caframo-Sirocco.jpg

Caframo Sirocco

What is the verdict?

vyv_cox
04-11-10, 14:29
We have a Caframo but not that one. Ours has no guard (although it appears to have the same 'safety blades' as those on the Sirocco), two speeds and a smaller mount that in our case screws vertically upwards. It is superb, making an enormous difference to chef comfort in the hottest weather. Current draw seems very reasonable at something like 0.6 A.

Slow_boat
04-11-10, 14:54
There was an article about fitting big 12 volt computer-type fans in PBO a year or so back. They were cheap and looked to do the business.

KellysEye
04-11-10, 15:14
We have a Hella fan and a Cafrano 747 fan (no guard). To indicate which we prefer the only spare fan we carry is a Cafrano.

tri39
04-11-10, 17:07
I have a noisy Hella lookalike over the galley and two other small quiet Caframo's. The Caframo's use little current and run for many hours in July/Aug. Even half the night sometimes in the boatyard heat, not nec at anchor of course.

duncan99210
04-11-10, 17:30
We've got 2 fans (can't see a name on them) bought via eaby for about 12 each. They're noisy but move the air round when it gets too hot to move and stuff the noise! We weren't sure if it was worth having fans at all, as our experience in hot climates suggested that it wasn't always worth it.

Now, having had the benifit of them for the past 2 seasons, we might spring for a couple of quieter ones - we'll watch what the verdict is on this thread!

Petronella
04-11-10, 17:48
Another vote for the non guarded Caframo. Ours are the 747 in this link I think, probably 20 years old. Great fans and if the blades whack you they just stop without hurting, cutting you or snapping off. With gross abuse you can break a blade (I know!) but spares are pretty easy to get hold of. Thoroughly recommend. Efficient and reasonably quiet.

http://www.asap-marine.com/Products/caframo.html

Tradewinds
04-11-10, 18:11
Used Hella & standard car fans (without the front guard) when in the tropics. Car fans were reasonably effective but noisy & quite power hungry. Hella didn't seem as effective.

Had 3 Caframo fans for a few years now (back in UK :mad:) & must say they're excellent. Quiet esp on low speed with a good push of air & very light on power.

My spare is also a Caframo.

mandlmaunder
05-11-10, 02:34
We have 5 hella turdo fans on our cat, and 1 or 2 run pretty much 24/7.

We are in the tropics and even on the windy nights its nice just to have a little white noise as an aid to sleep. (Like tonight it's blowing 25-35 knt thanks to H Tomas)

Mark

Petronella
05-11-10, 10:14
Mark

Now I know where the phrase '**** hits the fan originated'!

lenseman
05-11-10, 11:06
Quote: Originally Posted by mandlmaunder

Now I know where the phrase '**** hits the fan originated'!

They all must be underneath, somewhere near the bottom to create that sort of effect? :eek:

:D :D :D

ITH
05-11-10, 12:38
Another vote for Caframo fans - for efficiency, low noise level, and modest current draw: we have one in each cabin, one in the galley and one in the saloon. Only rider is be careful where you mount them - avoid thin, unsupported surfaces that can act as sounding boards.

whipper_snapper
05-11-10, 13:22
Another vote for the non guarded Caframo. Ours are the 747 in this link I think, probably 20 years old. Great fans and if the blades whack you they just stop without hurting, cutting you or snapping off. With gross abuse you can break a blade (I know!) but spares are pretty easy to get hold of. Thoroughly recommend. Efficient and reasonably quiet.

http://www.asap-marine.com/Products/caframo.html

Agree. The 747 on that link seem very good and very quiet. We have 3 fitted.

We also have 2 x 743's they are much noisier and generate much less breeze.

TQA
05-11-10, 17:53
Yet another vote for Caframo fans but I would carry spares as they can get noisy suddenly possibly due to bearing failure.

I have 4 on board Elephants Child and of the 2 that get heavy use I have had a blade failure and a bearing go noisy.

charles_reed
07-11-10, 03:20
Caframo fans - no info on current draw and prices in UK are laughably high when compared with an utterly silent, known-power, computer-cooling fan, which takes up less room, has protected blades, but only one speed (unless, on the more sophisticated ones, you fit a variable voltage input).

A simple 60mm computer fan, moving 20-30 cu/ft of air costs about 5.

Salty John
07-11-10, 15:36
The Caframo 757 'Ultimate', (a name coined by Salty John by the way!), draws 0.6 amps on high speed and moves 140 cfm on slow speed and 210 cfm on high speed.
A good fan spoiled by silly pricing.

charles_reed
07-11-10, 17:04
The 5 60mm computer fan draws 4 watts (0.3amp), moves 120-180 cfm.
For sure you have to fit a switch and wires...

It's almost certainly quieter than the Caframo, with its 2 large blades and is far more directional.

Personally I hate being had for a sucker...

ean_p
07-11-10, 20:55
do you have a link or a name for those 60mm fans please Charles

Salty John
07-11-10, 20:59
I think you will find that 60mm computer fans typically move 15 to 20 CFM, quite inadequate for cooling open spaces. Pity, because they are cheap, and you can buy quiet versions for around 10 or so.

whipper_snapper
08-11-10, 09:13
The 5 60mm computer fan draws 4 watts (0.3amp), moves 120-180 cfm.
For sure you have to fit a switch and wires...

It's almost certainly quieter than the Caframo, with its 2 large blades and is far more directional.

Personally I hate being had for a sucker...

Certainly the Caframo fans are overpriced, however a good fan is close to essential in some parts of the world. We sleep with the fan blowing on us all night and the improvement in comfort is dramatic.

The computer fans I have seen are great for maintaining a bit of air circulation and discouraging mold, especially when the boat is unoccupied. But are useless when it comes to real, direct cooling.

ccscott49
10-11-10, 09:23
I run mains fans, through an inverter, laughably cheap, coz they make millions and very efficient and quiet, admittedly use more power, but with 3-4 speeds move a lot of air.
I guess about 1-1.5 amps at 24 volt.

Talbot
10-11-10, 12:12
I run mains fans, through an inverter, laughably cheap, coz they make millions and very efficient and quiet, admittedly use more power, but with 3-4 speeds move a lot of air.
I guess about 1-1.5 amps at 24 volt.

A good solution if you are staying on shore power.

The caframo uses 0.34 amps at full speed at 12v - a tenth of the power, but I am sure does not push anywhere near as much air.

Jeannius
11-11-10, 06:41
Hella fans all seem to rattle. All ours have gradually been swapped out for the cheaper, unguarded Caframo which is much quieter. You don't need the guard as the blade edges are nicely rounded.

ccscott49
11-11-10, 10:16
A good solution if you are staying on shore power.

The caframo uses 0.34 amps at full speed at 12v - a tenth of the power, but I am sure does not push anywhere near as much air.

Inverter.

Talbot
11-11-10, 11:00
Output of the fans is very interesting

Hella Turbo 95 Litres/sec

Power 6.5 watts

Caframo:

748 Bora fan maximum 237 CFM
807 Sirocco fan maximum 240 CFM
817 Kona fan maximum 266 CFM
747 Ultimate fan maximum 270 CFM

Power slightly less than 5 watts