PDA

View Full Version : Marinas/ports in Atlantic Morocco

erickelly
08-11-10, 16:15
I would like to go to Morocco but information about ports like Casablanca is sparse and may be out of date.We are 20m long with a draught of 3.2m Any recent knowledge woul be appreciated

Roberto
08-11-10, 16:38
hello,

we have recently (july august) stayed at all available Moroccan ports from Tangiers as far as Agadir

with your draught, Tangiers is ok (maybe better the wall just outside the Royal Yacht Club de Tanger marina), Asilah is impossible, Rabat-Salé I would say impossible as well (they guide you in with a RIB at whatever time you arrive, but with 2m draught at half tide we touched the bottom, even when transiting in the correct channel) especially if you go in this winter period, with a tiny 1m swell outside we found 2m rollers inside the entrance

Mohammedia (just past Casablanca) is ok if you stay on the outer wall, just north of the marina pontoons; Casablanca itself is normally closed to yachts, if you say you are a "ship" then they might let you in (?)
El Jadida impossible.
Jorf LAsfar and Safi would be ok, but beware there are no facilities whatsoever for yachts.
Essaouira is feasible but there is only one place, with yachts rafting up to 7th row, with a 20m length could be very difficult, there is a beautiful anchorage just outside.
No problems for Agadir, big marina with longish boats wintering there, just berth on the first/second pontoon you meet after having entered.

enjoy, your mooring ropes will smell fish for weeks but when you arrive there you are often greeted as Cristopher Columbus :smile:

capnsensible
08-11-10, 17:56
Another vote for Agadir. Been 3 times, great place, nice staff.

phantomlady
08-11-10, 18:04
We are in Agadir Marina now. It's nowhere near full and the entrance is easy with good depths.
The marina is cheap, the staff are wonderful.
Morocco is good fun
Recommended!

erickelly
14-11-10, 18:07
Many thanks for all the information.Looks like a sail from Tangir to Agadir will be needed. EK

C Wellington
29-10-12, 19:38
After years of sailing I am about to purchase a motorboat which is located in Gran Canaria and will be sailing her back up to the Med. I will now have the unaccustomed problem of a limited range of approximately 300nm before the need to refuel. Clearly this will entail stopping off in Morocco, of which I have absolutely no experience.

The vessel is 19m long with a beam of 5m, with a draft of just 1m. Anybody with experience of this trip and any general guidance, in particular of any pitfalls, security issues, we should look out for would be very helpful.

Regards
Clynt Wellington

fliti
30-10-12, 19:34
We are also in Agadir and have been since August. Only caveat is the arabic night club on the beach which, when to windward, sets up quite a din from midnight to 4.30 AM most nights. It's south so windward is rare except times like now! Feeling a bit sleep deprived just now but don't let that turn yu off unless you are morbidly attached to quiet...:o

capnsensible
03-11-12, 23:04
After years of sailing I am about to purchase a motorboat which is located in Gran Canaria and will be sailing her back up to the Med. I will now have the unaccustomed problem of a limited range of approximately 300nm before the need to refuel. Clearly this will entail stopping off in Morocco, of which I have absolutely no experience.

The vessel is 19m long with a beam of 5m, with a draft of just 1m. Anybody with experience of this trip and any general guidance, in particular of any pitfalls, security issues, we should look out for would be very helpful.

Regards
Clynt Wellington

Hiya, a few years ago I delivered a Sunseeker 65 in the opposite direction, range a bit less. I stopped for fuel in Agadir, Essouria and Mohammedia.

The problems then were getting hoses to the boat. Oh what fun to bunker 3000 litres using jerrycans....

Agadir now for sure has a proper diesel dock.

I generally like Moroccans, officials can be a bit slow but are always polite, Ive found. the days of mild bribery are long gone.

C Wellington
04-11-12, 20:05
Thanks for the advice as I was warned only yesterday that the officials can be aggressive in looking for bribes, including items on the boat, to clear customs, etc. Threatening delays.

timchapman
05-11-12, 03:33
Thanks for the advice as I was warned only yesterday that the officials can be aggressive in looking for bribes, including items on the boat, to clear customs, etc. Threatening delays.
Currently in Rabat having been in the marina for 8 days. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Roberto
05-11-12, 10:29
Currently in Rabat having been in the marina for 8 days. Nothing could be further from the truth.

+1

we basically stopped at all ports and have never, never been asked any baksheesh by any official, and one meets quite a number of them, anywhere you stop customs police immigration port captain etc