PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather and Sailing

Lakesailor
28-11-10, 12:40
I am in my late 50s now and finding that cold weather is starting to really effect me.
I've been keeping my boat on the lake all year and have had some cracking sails in the clear bright winter sun in previous years. This year I sailed a fortnight ago and since then it has been freezing, with a sharp Northerly. I haven't sailed in that time.
I find it bloody nithering just to go outside. Since moving back to Bowness earlier this year we have good central heating and double glazing after 2 years in a stone built cottage with a log burner.
Is it an age thing?
In 2006 my brother (on a visit from Oz) came out for a sail in February and really felt the cold ( mind you he had left the Oz summer). He is 7 years older than me.

This was on that sail. That is ice one the foredeck from the spray. I only started to get coldish after an hour or so.

http://www.lakelandimages.co.uk/Forum%20pics/AAAFeb06/Dicksail08.jpg

I may think about taking Feckless off the lake for the worst of the weather if the cold is going to be with us for a few months, like last year.
On the other hand I may miss the odd lovely sailing day.

Do others find they are feeling the cold more as they get older? Is the "thinning blood" a reality?

Seajet
28-11-10, 12:43
This subject has just been covered under the thread named brrrrrr! - may be on page 2 now, worth a look there.

Searush
28-11-10, 12:53
It's all about acclimatisation. You now have a warmer house so feel the cold more. I used to work in an unheated industrial unit & seldom felt the cold. Since packing that in, I too notice the cold a bit more.

Lakesailor
28-11-10, 12:55
This subject has just been covered under thee thread named brrrrrr! Errrm. No it hasn't. I posted in that thread and it is about how to wrap up warm
I didn't want to add this subject to that thread as it would get sidetracked.
I am not asking how to overcome the cold.

I am asking if cold effects you more as you get older.

Ubergeekian
28-11-10, 14:27
Twenty years ago I went to Aberystwyth in December to look at a Hunter 490 for my father. Slightly to my surprise the owner suggested a sail, but nothing loth I agreed. Big mistake. I hadn't taken any sailing clothes and had normal shoes on. It was well below freezing and the ice on the boat was so solid that we had to bend sheets over our knees to get them through fairleads and round blocks. I have never, ever been so cold in my life.

My father did buy a Hunter 490, though not that one. I have it now, but it comes out the water for the winter!

johnalison
28-11-10, 15:02

Yes, for several reasons.

1 Less hair on top, therefore more heat loss.

2 Poor peripheral circulation and in my case worsening Raynaud's which runs in the family.

3 Increased intolerance of physical discomfort, or on other words, more wimpishness.

4 Increased sense of self-preservation.

5 Larger consumption of alcohol = more heat loss.

Incidentally, heat intolerance is one symptom of thyroid insufficiency and the combination with lassitude and dry skin is worth having checked.

Lakesailor
28-11-10, 15:25
Good point. Mrs Lakesailor and her family all have hypothyroidism. A simple tablet each day (for life) re-balances it.
I may have it checked. Hair-loss not an issue yet.

30boat
28-11-10, 17:22
My house is quite cold and I ,at 54,don't feel it too badly.SWMBO on the other hand always seems to be under a blanket when sitting on the sofa.If I don't light the fire the temperature in the living room won't go above 8 or 9 C these days.
I found that some times when it's cold outside and I go for a motorbike ride I stop feeling it within the first few minutes.

Ex-SolentBoy
28-11-10, 17:23
Errrm. No it hasn't. I posted in that thread and it is about how to wrap up warm

Not sure whether there is any physical reason, but there certainly seem to be a few mental ones. Most particular is that I am more picky about putting myself in uncomfortable situations. Supposed to be sailing to Cornwall this week. 25 knots and temps close to freezing. Makes you think it might be nicer at home.

I lived in Sweden for a couple of years. Lots of weeks at minus 25. The Swedes never complained. My neighbour said there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes!

kristifercolumnbus
28-11-10, 17:44
Never been keen on the cold though I used to go out mucking about down the woods as a nipper (building bonfires).
Now don't even fancy rowing out to my boat moored 100 yards off shore.
Might if it was with friends & there was a purpose..........

TamarMike
28-11-10, 17:45
I used to stop sailing in the winter to in white water canoeing, would get frozen but warm up afterwards in the pub. Now I'm getting older I think my circulation's not so good. If I get cold too much I get chilblains which won't then clear up till spring. Now sat in the Union Inn (to upset the Scots on this forum) warming up after this afternoon's sail before going back aboard to my 3 sleeping bags and hot water bottle. ... Giving up and getting hauled out tomorrow!

sighmoon
28-11-10, 17:46
It's all about acclimatisation. You now have a warmer house so feel the cold more. I used to work in an unheated industrial unit & seldom felt the cold. Since packing that in, I too notice the cold a bit more.

I'll second that. Sunny Doha was down to 22C the other night, and I was freezing. The labourers who are outside in 50C, now have all their winter woolies on.

IAN13
28-11-10, 17:58
Not really bothered in the past but started to notice how cold I was getting ( maybe the 3 stone I have lost :rolleyes:) so ordered some cold weather kit . Well worth it . Have a look at Here (http://www.lochnessferrycompanyclothing.co.uk/Default.asp?c=285229) .. No connection . Good service . Very cheap postage 2.95 :) .. Kit very good . Keen prices for gloves etc . :)

NOHOH
28-11-10, 18:06

To answer your question...as nobody else seems willing to....(I`m no doctor but this is my understanding)..... As you get older, your circulation generally gets poorer, ...cold weather tends to cause the blood to thicken and along with the aforementioned the effect is an increased risk of susceptibility to strokes and heart attacks.

One of the side effects of hypothermia is that you feel "happy" and not cold at all....one of the reasons why there is a tendency for little old ladies who live alone to be found dead in their armchairs...is....presumably...they`ve just got so cold and then hypothermic and not cared what was happening.

Madhatter
28-11-10, 18:13
Errrm. No it hasn't. I posted in that thread and it is about how to wrap up warm

yyyyyyeezzzz

Lakesailor
28-11-10, 18:16
Lots of things mentioned I resonate with on here.
It's not a matter of dressing in warmer clothing. It seems to be a lethargy that stops me from wanting to wrap up and get out there.
I got chilblains last year (chopping logs in the snow, riggers boots and thermal socks were too tight) and they are miserable.
Not a serious problem, but awful.
I don't have to go out on the boat. I just feel guilty when I have the time and it's bright sunshine, but bloody cold.

Just spoken to my BiL at Pooley Bridge at the top of Ullswater. They have 8" of snow.
Least we.....................oh.....just looked up at the Velux window. It's all white.

isha
28-11-10, 18:43
In my mid 60,s now and seem to feel the cold more and when I think about a replacement for 'Isha' which we sold last year, I cannot get past the dea of going for a Fisher 32, so its true!
Dave

Clyde_Wanderer
28-11-10, 18:57
Yes, for several reasons.

1 Less hair on top, therefore more heat loss.

2 Poor peripheral circulation and in my case worsening Raynaud's which runs in the family.

3 Increased intolerance of physical discomfort, or on other words, more wimpishness.

4 Increased sense of self-preservation.

5 Larger consumption of alcohol = more heat loss.

Incidentally, heat intolerance is one symptom of thyroid insufficiency and the combination with lassitude and dry skin is worth having checked.

Ditto, with the exception of the alcohol, hair and raynauds bit, and inclussion of having suffered over active thyroid for a few yrs before it was brought under by radioactive iodine and is now controlled with thyroxine.
I very rarely can wear just a Tshirt on its own even on mild summers evenings as I feel the cold.
SWMBO says my blood is destroyed from smoking, she is probably right.
Must ask her about the raynauds. shiver shiver.:(
C_W

BlowingOldBoots
28-11-10, 19:45

I would support this (and Sighmoon's observations) but I would also add that like the mal de mer, part of feeling cold is psychosomatically influenced. One expects it to be cold, through experience (age related) and therefore justifies their expectation by being more cold than they should be.

I would add that getting old generally equates to a more sedentary lifestyle as does a move from active to a less active job type. Both result in a lowering of the metabolic rate, which does something less efficiently with the available energy. I believe if you are old and active such that metabolic rate is high, you will also feel warmer.

Lakesailor
28-11-10, 19:52
Odd thing is that I usually am not the one complaining of the cold. You should hear Mental Pause moaning.
Others on board can get a bit chilly during a sail. In the Rudder videos (web site link in my signature) I did I have just a t-shirt and a shirt on and am perfectly warm. That was mid October.
It's when the temperature plummets. My mechanisms don't seem to react and I really feel the chill.
There are some ideas mentioned which could be related to the issues I have.

bikedaft
28-11-10, 19:54
medication can make you feel the cold too, eg beta blockers like atenolol, bisoprolol, metoprolol etc. the latter two are not supposed to be as problematic as the first, but they can all still make you feel the cold a lot more.

also weight loss (as already mentioned) certainly made me feel a lot colder. tho most folk seem to put on weight over time...

Lakesailor
28-11-10, 19:58
Constant weight for the last 40 years.
No medication.

I'm certainly going to see our blood sucking practice nurse. There may be a medical reason. Otherwise it's just getting old.

Elessar
28-11-10, 19:59
I leave the covers up and put the eber on - which has 4 outlets on deck.

I have a trip planned with pals for tuesday pm - we'll only need the coats for cleaning the snow off the windscreen before we go, maybe just maybe we'll have to put a sweater on over our t shirts as we go along.

Sometimes I'm glad the admiral made me have a mobo rather than a real boat :D

Lakesailor
28-11-10, 20:01
Well, opening up my wallet does give me heart tremors. So that's not good.

bikedaft
28-11-10, 20:02
Constant weight for the last 40 years.
No medication.

I'm certainly going to see our blood sucking practice nurse. There may be a medical reason. Otherwise it's just getting old.

sorry was speaking generally, didn't mean to pry!

ps good idea about thyroid

davidjackson
29-11-10, 13:19
My vote goes for that awful disease affecting most in this age group. Sad to say but my diagnosis is: getting old! My weight and build haven't changed in 40+ years, don't have the hairloss problem at 50+ (because it went at 20+!). There's definitely an acclimatisation factor but becoming an aged, less tolerant, whimp leads me to plead guilty.

In past years, when my boat came out for hibernation I used to look forward to nice lake dives in cold but clear water. Between Christmas and New Year always use to be a big part of the diving social scene. I prefer the Trafford Centre these days!

My SWMBO has lived in the UK for 12 years but spent most of her life is SE Asia. She usually starts whining about the cold in September.

There's something really unpleasant about being in the cold, unable to get warm.

I'd suggest that you take her out if you're becoming grumpy about the cold. Far better to complain about making the wrong decision than actually inflicting pain upon yourself.

Twister_Ken
29-11-10, 13:40
Random thought.

When younger I reckon you tend to have more energy so move around more - go to mast to check something, walk around the deck, nip below to write up log or check the chart - all of which keep blood (and brain) moving. Older with less energy, and the tendency is to sit in the corner of the cockpit and think about how cold it is. So maybe the answer is to leap about a bit more, throw in a few unnecessary tacks, stand up and look around, shuffle about, etc.

reginaldon
29-11-10, 14:00
Like many others my weight has not changed, in my case in the last 60 years, altho' my chest seems to have slipped somewhat, and until this year have only needed a summer weight duvez, providing all the heat needed by swmbo also, however I have added an overblanket this winter - it must be my age! I've even got my boots out to cope with the snow, as my knees have lost their spring.

Croak
29-11-10, 14:50
Two things.

The cold feels realy cold this year.

Loads and loads of people I have spoken to seem to have no motivation since late Oct early Nov, Myself included.

I can remember a little bit of this in previous years but nowhere near as much as this year.

AngusMcDoon
30-11-10, 08:21
I am in my late 50s now and finding that cold weather is starting to really effect me.

Second hand experience, but same reported effect. My dad is a retired Antarctic explorer from the 50s, 60s and 70s. He still has spent more winters in Antarctica than anyone else, including one when the expedition's wintering hut was lost off the iceshelf and they spent the winter in not much more than a wooden box. Despite this the scientific part of the expedition proceded, involving going out in the worst of the Antarctic winter weather. He and his colleagues kept warm by big beards and being hard.

But now in his mid eighties he really suffers from the cold. He spends most of his time not moving very far or fast which doesn't help, but something has definitely changed in his body. I suspect that once a body makes this change as it gets older it slowly gets worse.

Lakesailor
30-11-10, 08:30
I'm getting the same feeling from all the posts.
It's old age getting a grip. Live with it.

I think I'll still go and let the vampire nurse have her fill, just to be sure, but the point about this winter being very cold indeed so far (and last as well) has a lot of legs.

The point about not being as active and generating body heat may be a factor as well. I don't have to collect or chop wood now and don't have a derilect boat to fettle or dis-arrange.

I was at work yesterday and despite the temp being sub-zero all day it wasn't too bad as we were in and out of warm areas and there was no wind.

I didn't sign up for getting old.

photodog
30-11-10, 08:47
You need to up your consumption of Blubber.

aquaplane
30-11-10, 09:15
We were on the lake Thursday to Saturday and it was a bit cool.
We weren't sailing as the sails were at home but while motoring about my feet got cold, not painfully cold but not far off, but that was down to inapropriate footwear, the rest of me was fine.
I can't say that I have noticed feeling the cold more as I have got older, but I find that I have had a fairly high tolerance for cold compared to some folk.

The good news is the Wallas works fine in cold temps and doesn't cane the batteries much even when run O/N, condensation is a problem though, more ventilation needed.

Lakesailor
30-11-10, 15:50
I have .....erm.........less insulation than you.

aquaplane
30-11-10, 17:30
I have .....erm.........less insulation than you.

You're a cruel, cruel man, but also right.

rb_stretch
30-11-10, 17:57
Random thought.

When younger I reckon you tend to have more energy so move around more - go to mast to check something, walk around the deck, nip below to write up log or check the chart - all of which keep blood (and brain) moving. Older with less energy, and the tendency is to sit in the corner of the cockpit and think about how cold it is. So maybe the answer is to leap about a bit more, throw in a few unnecessary tacks, stand up and look around, shuffle about, etc.

Would subscribe to that theory as well.

To prove the point I was out racing in my Solo on Sunday. Bloody freezing ashore, whilst rigging up and sailing about before the start, but once you get into the actual racing where the adrenaline forces you to be active, you don't start noticing the cold.

Madhatter
30-11-10, 18:09
Age -yes
Lack of "youthful exuberance ! "
Thin blood ( medication ?)
soft lifestyle !

Mind you when my boat sank this afternoon I did not feel the cold until I got home (adrenalin ??) :eek:

Vara
30-11-10, 19:10

Yes.

Lakesailor
30-11-10, 19:13
Thank You.