PDA

View Full Version : Fuel prices in the Caribbean & Venezuela

Capt Tom
07-12-10, 01:43
Does anyone have current information on inexpensive fueling in the Caribbean or Venezuela??

blenkinsop
07-12-10, 13:40
cheapest we found was 3 Bolivars for about 60 litres in Cumana, Venezuela!
This is a loop hole that we understand to have been closed. Most places seem to charge a variation on the "international" price, $4/US gal when we were last in the area.

capnsensible
07-12-10, 16:01
Im 4 years out of date but again, in Cumano, got 180 litres for about 2 quid. Was amazed.

TQA
07-12-10, 16:12
The gov. sets the price in St Vincent currently at $10.02 in St Vincent EC Dollars of course.

best price other than going to Venuzuela and getting some fishing boat to transfer you some at local price.

PhilipH
10-12-10, 16:03
Trinidad - 17 to 21 UK pence per litre of diesel

fliti
11-12-10, 19:53
It was ten years ago but everything I heard about Venezuela since tells me that it can only have got worse (and I am not american...). I filled up my outboard with cheap, cheap Venezuelan gasoline. The engine was dead as a dodo by the time we reached Trini. The mechanic I took the engine to asked where I filled up last, upended the outboard over a bucket and after a 15 second wait for separation, showed me we had a bucket that contained nearly as much water as fuel. Apparently, the diesel is worse and i was VERY glad that I had not filled my main tanks.:eek:

TQA
12-12-10, 03:54
It was ten years ago but everything I heard about Venezuela since tells me that it can only have got worse (and I am not american...). I filled up my outboard with cheap, cheap Venezuelan gasoline. The engine was dead as a dodo by the time we reached Trini. The mechanic I took the engine to asked where I filled up last, upended the outboard over a bucket and after a 15 second wait for separation, showed me we had a bucket that contained nearly as much water as fuel. Apparently, the diesel is worse and i was VERY glad that I had not filled my main tanks.:eek:

You know it's a funny thing. All over Venezuela there are cars, trucks, buses, inboard diesels and outboards all purring away happily.

I wonder what is their secret, have they learned to burn water?

Or maybe they use one of these?

It is a called a BAJA filter. Many wise fuel buyers run AT LEAST a gallon or two through one of thses and view the result. Some run all their fuel purchases through one.

The Baja Filter provides three stages of filtration between the fuel source and the inlet to your fuel tank. The fuel first passes through a coarse mesh designed to remove sand and grit. Next, it passes through a fine mesh designed for removal of finer grain debris. In the third and final stage of filtration, the fuel passes through a specially treated mesh. This final stage is designed to block remaining debris and more importantly, traps virtually all water content that may be present in the fuel.