PDA

View Full Version : Navy Service - Engineer Required

Andy and Lyn
15-12-10, 13:26
Does anyone know a decent engineer around the Navy Service area (Port St Louis) who would be able to change a CUTLESS bearing for me. It probably would need shaft removal to do it - on my WESTERLY RENOWN.

Have tried ATELIER MARINE SERVICES but he (Christophe) doesn't want to do it!!:(

Andy and Lyn
15-12-10, 13:27
ps. I have the bearing - just need the expertise!!

Tranona
15-12-10, 13:57
Not a difficult job, but a bit tedious. Take the prop off. Take the two locking screws out. Unscrew the bearing housing. Clean it up. Remove the little grub screw in the side of the housing. Take it to the workshop and ask them to press the old bearing out and press the new one in. Re assemble with a bead of sealant. You might find unscrewing a bit of a struggle but a good pair of stilsons usually does the job.

charles_reed
15-12-10, 16:16
It's an easy enough job, if a little tedious. Unfortunately not all cutless bearings are fitted as the example quoted by Tranona.

My experience of Navy Service area is that if you can't do the job yourself you're in Queer St.

Perhaps some photos on the board here would allow us to help.

I for example never take off the prop now - changing the bearing (excluding getting out the old one) takes me about 2 hrs.

Andy and Lyn
15-12-10, 17:52
looks like im in "queer street" . Will try to get myself educated otherwise not sure what next.

Presumably getting the shaft out is the trickky bit?

blueglass
15-12-10, 18:28
Why not go down the road to port Nap and get David Berry & Co to do it. I'm sure they would drive up the road for you. English family run outfit in the marina. They changed the cutlass bearings on my twin engined mobo a couple of years back.

Tranona
15-12-10, 19:21
looks like im in "queer street" . Will try to get myself educated otherwise not sure what next.

Presumably getting the shaft out is the trickky bit?

No need to take the shaft out. The bearing is inside the housing which unscrews. Think you will have to drop the rudder to get the shaft out, but it is not necessary just to replace the bearing.

Andy and Lyn
16-12-10, 10:57
Ok thanks. Will follow up the lead at Port Nap first and take it from there.

Cheers

Bilgediver
22-12-10, 05:57
Not a difficult job, but a bit tedious. Take the prop off. Take the two locking screws out. Unscrew the bearing housing. Clean it up. Remove the little grub screw in the side of the housing. Take it to the workshop and ask them to press the old bearing out and press the new one in. Re assemble with a bead of sealant. You might find unscrewing a bit of a struggle but a good pair of stilsons usually does the job.

Yes as easy as this if nothing goes wrong however by being aware of the pitfalls
you can prevent disasters.

Firstly make sure your ID and OD on the new Cutless are correct and the same as the old one before you start. It may be too long but that is no problem.

The other thing to be aware of is that those two bolts you see in th cutless housing screw into captive nuts glassed into the hull structure. Do not b over enthusiastic in dealing with he bolts or they may cease to be captive. Also they can be difficult to to get inside the boat especially the lower one. The fuel tank may sit above them.

If things go well you can leave the prop shaft in place and just remove the prop.

Some times the old cutless dosn t want to come out of the housing. This ca be made easier by cutting through the cutless along the line of axis from the id using a broken hacksaw blade until you just break through th cutless shell. It will then come free. Maybe!:D

Best of luck an use lots of Gunge or Sikaflex 291 on the housing face when re tightening.