PDA

View Full Version : summer festivals

ribdriver
27-01-11, 12:48
Heard a rumour today (ooh err) that the bristol harbour festival might not be happening - well not from a maritime point of view anyway - this year due to lack of support. Anyone know anything about this?

On the upside, I have also heard that at last Watchet (as in the whole town, not just the marina) are finally sorting themselves out and planning a whole week of summer festivities. The guy I spoke to said that it was all still being planned, but that the basic idea was that between the 23rd and 31st of July, there would be things going on for people to get involved in.
They are aiming for a big maritime event on the first weekend - sounds like they're getting the local coatsguard in doing demos, a try a boat session with the local scouts, and of course a big evening of live entertainment etc, but organised a bit differntly to previous years because they want it done properly. Loads more stuff also.
Then there will be various events going on throughout the week on the Esplanade - and all stuff people can get involved with as they are trying to push the tourist/visitor side of things.
The following weekend will be finished off with established events of the Watchet Kids Festival on the Saturday and the Town Carnival on the Sunday.
Thhink they are planning for fireworks on the first weekend also :)

I'll try and find out more if anyone wants, but sounded like it's all still in the planning.

Who
27-01-11, 18:12
No Bristol harbour festival, that will be a real shame.

It's by far the best festival in the Bristol channel.

Does anyone know anything more about this?

Csail
28-01-11, 08:03
Strange
http://www.bristolharbourfestival.co.uk/

trapezeartist
28-01-11, 23:04
Well, there's nothing very boaty about the Bristol Harbour Festival, is there? Just turn up, moor up and join the crowds shuffling slowly around the food and drink stalls.

Last year the highlight for me was the firework display. I was leaving that evening so instead of going straight into Cumberland Basin, I burbled up through the midlle of the harbour and watched the fireworks from the water. There won't be fireworks this year, so I don't think I'll bother.

Who
28-01-11, 23:37
Blimey that's fairly depressing.

I don't join the crowds too much, but invite friends down to enjoy the atmosphere with us.

Get the BBQ going with fellow boaters, talk boats and other garbage all weekend. An excellent social time.

channel
03-02-11, 20:18
I've a meeting with the Harbour Master next week regarding a different matter but will raise and let you know.

Sneds
06-02-11, 18:48
As far as I can ascertain the festival is "full steam ahead!"

Whats this about no fireworks? Thats the best bit! Apart from the beer!

Have to agree that the festival is less and less about boats and thats why I object to having to pay to stay put on my permament berth, especially when it is billed as a free festival :-(

All in all though a great weekend and woudn't miss it for the world :-)

channel
11-02-11, 09:38
I've a meeting with the Harbour Master next week regarding a different matter but will raise and let you know.

My meeting was pushed back a week so will know middle of next week.

robinstall1
11-02-11, 23:55
Are we missing the point?
Bristol Harbour Festival is what you make of it not what you expect of it.
As far as I'm concerned its the best as a boater and keeping the family happy, their is something for everybody and I get to play with boats and talk boats, the kids do their thing and the Mrs gets to shop. Happy Days

Mymobo
12-02-11, 19:52
Blimey that's fairly depressing.

I don't join the crowds too much, but invite friends down to enjoy the atmosphere with us.

Get the BBQ going with fellow boaters, talk boats and other garbage all weekend. An excellent social time.

I agree with WHO it is a great weekend and worth marking the trip for. Good time with friends, family and fellow boaters.

robinstall1
15-02-11, 17:57
Fellow boaters I have some news regarding the festival.
Firstly, It's on and business as usual, meaning that the festival is going ahead with
resident and guest boaters from Thursday 28th-4th, this is when the moorings are available to us but as it stands at the moment extra nights will have to be paid for birthing before or after these dates at a cost of (9mtr boat) approx 11 per boat per night at this size.
Secondly there will be NO FIREWORKS and due to the disappointment from the public their may be a uprising, so you need to write too Tony Nichols at Harbour Office, Underfall Yard. Cumberland Road. Bristol BS1 6XG a whisper has said we need clubs to congregate
and participate then we might have a chance. Hope this helps

Sneds
18-02-11, 16:52
I heard from the office yesterday confirming no fireworks but the festival defiately a goer!

Mymobo
18-02-11, 21:17
Why no fireworks, what's their reason.

Furball
18-02-11, 22:14
Earlier in the week on the local news they said it was all still on, as they didn't have one major sponsor they were encouraging company sponsorship of 1000 a time then all the sponsor names put into a draw and the wiiner gets their name on it as they do for the balloon fiesta, my company has registered for sponsorship. If enough companies pledge then they should be able to do the fireworks hopefully

Mymobo
19-02-11, 06:08
That is good news, let's hope it does happen as it was magic last year.

mattonthesea
25-02-11, 18:24
Fellow boaters I have some news regarding the festival.
Firstly, It's on and business as usual, meaning that the festival is going ahead with
resident and guest boaters from Thursday 28th-4th,

That's good; this will be my last weekend on the boat before I return to my previous life as a working, home dweller. When at anchor, alone in the pouring rain and unseasonably high winds, it is good to look forward to the fun parts of the tour. Scilly, Bristol - but before then Martinique to Antigua and St Marteen; and the Azores!