PDA

View Full Version : Henley Festival

Ian45
04-07-11, 20:11
SWMBO and I are thinking about taking a cruise to Henley on Friday evening or maybe Saturday to take in some of the music festival from the river.

We have never done this before but I have been told that there are some floating moorings which, if lucky enough to get one, gives a good place to enjoy the music and see the fireworks.

So has anyone out there been before or maybe going this year and could give a bit of advice such as:

Mooring cost - does it need to be prebooked?

Is it possible to get a mooring or do you need to be moored up from Wednesday??

Any advice would be helpful as I have just made the mistake of informing SWMBO that there is an ABBA symphonic tribute and now she SOOOO wants to go.

Thanks in advance.

Richard Shead
04-07-11, 20:36
SWMBO and I are thinking about taking a cruise to Henley on Friday evening or maybe Saturday to take in some of the music festival from the river.

We have never done this before but I have been told that there are some floating moorings which, if lucky enough to get one, gives a good place to enjoy the music and see the fireworks.

So has anyone out there been before or maybe going this year and could give a bit of advice such as:

Mooring cost - does it need to be prebooked?

Is it possible to get a mooring or do you need to be moored up from Wednesday??

Any advice would be helpful as I have just made the mistake of informing SWMBO that there is an ABBA symphonic tribute and now she SOOOO wants to go.

Thanks in advance.

Most importantly you need booze....and triple what you think you will drink...

I am assuming you can still grab a boom??

Ian45
04-07-11, 20:49
Most importantly you need booze....and triple what you think you will drink...

I am assuming you can still grab a boom??

I'm sure I could even with triple the amount of booze

pande
04-07-11, 21:02
[QUOTE=Ian45;3027319]Any advice would be helpful as I have just made the mistake of informing SWMBO that there is an ABBA symphonic tribute and now she SOOOO wants to go.

QUOTE]

I can't remember when 'ABBA' are on - There will be some forum members around on the boom for most of the week - look for the burgee - fly your own and BINGO - you have a mooring alongside at no extra cost!!!!!

P.S I'm going Weds and Fri..

E

jecuk
04-07-11, 21:26
Abba is Saturday night and I shall be there on the umpires stages. Feel free to wave!

Ian45
04-07-11, 22:27
Sadly we have no forum burgee to introduce ourselves with but am I right in thinking there is a possibility some spaces may be available for a little one (Sealine 218) if we take a chance and cruise up on Saturday morning?

Now, although I have a dinner suit and most people attending the arts/music festival wear formal attire it would seem, is it require for 'boat people' that lounge around on their vessels?

jecuk
04-07-11, 23:26
Moorings there are very tightly regulated. Hobbs of Henley do it. It will be expensive and you will have to pre book. The trick is to get on the booms - they are free.

Richard Shead
05-07-11, 08:13
Moorings there are very tightly regulated. Hobbs of Henley do it. It will be expensive and you will have to pre book. The trick is to get on the booms - they are free.

And that means cruising up and down as close to 1800 hours (if its still that) and then pounce on them when the time comes and they allow you to moor up.

Ian45
05-07-11, 08:28
And that means cruising up and down as close to 1800 hours (if its still that) and then pounce on them when the time comes and they allow you to moor up.

Would that be 1800 hours on each day or from the start on Wednesday?

Richard Shead
05-07-11, 08:38
Would that be 1800 hours on each day or from the start on Wednesday?

We used to go for the Sat only but I believe (and I have not been for a few years) you can do it from each day, I am sure Tedd lock will be along soon with some very old dodgy pix...

With the sun shining, the music in the background a cold beer and on your own boat there is no better place

Sulley
05-07-11, 09:46
We are also considering going up there this weekend and have the same concern about moorings. Getting on the boom sounds an excellent option!

We don't have a forum burgee either, we are a Bayliner 285. Boat is called Katie J but hopefully should be changed to Akvavit by the weekend. If you see two ladies on board it's us please wave and say hi. :D

miket
05-07-11, 11:22
I do not wish to disillusion your SWMBO, but the last few times that we went (tied to booms) we heard very little of the music. Also, unless the Abba Tribute are playing on the main stage (by the river) you won't hear anything at all!!
It is still an entertaining evening and the fireworks are usually very good if H&S haven't killed them off.
Be warned, that when the evening is over the river is awash with boats of all shapes and sizes, many unlit and most with skippers having enjoyed an alcoholic evening. We have found it prudent to stay a little longer to fend off the hordes and let things settle before moving ourselves.
Enjoy!!
Oh, and yes, do wear the glad rags. It really adds to the show.

Ian45
05-07-11, 12:59
I do not wish to disillusion your SWMBO, but the last few times that we went (tied to booms) we heard very little of the music. Also, unless the Abba Tribute are playing on the main stage (by the river) you won't hear anything at all!!
It is still an entertaining evening and the fireworks are usually very good if H&S haven't killed them off.
Be warned, that when the evening is over the river is awash with boats of all shapes and sizes, many unlit and most with skippers having enjoyed an alcoholic evening. We have found it prudent to stay a little longer to fend off the hordes and let things settle before moving ourselves.
Enjoy!!
Oh, and yes, do wear the glad rags. It really adds to the show.

Thank you for the information, depending on your music tastes I suppose not being able to hear ABBA music could be seen as an advantage :-)

It sounds very much like it could be a worthwhile cruise up and down even if no moorings are available and a mooring back towards Medmenham would at least enable us to see the fireworks.

jecuk
05-07-11, 13:17

It is on the main stage.

pande
05-07-11, 20:44
Coming over the bridge from work this evening - they are already mooring on the boom - couldn't catch the name of the 'big' boat that had put itself center stage - was I going too fast or was it a little too far away??
No need to worry about moorings - they tie up anywhere and I have seen them 4 or 5 out before now - just ask whoever you moor to as some people like to move early
Look for Winning Spirit, Tops and Zit - not mooring on the boom but might like a place to stop for the odd drink or two :D:D

See you there

E

rosssavage
06-07-11, 08:06
Been on the booms since Sunday night, and they are very busy by now! You WILL NOT find any boom space left near the stage tonight, but rafting up is de riguer and not usually a problem. There will be loads of space downstream of the festival on the booms - remember they extend all the way to temple island, so you will definiteky find somewhere comfortable for the night..
The EA frown on rafting up more than two deep though (unless it's three little boats.. Due to stress on the booms)

Note for everyone: please don't raft alongside Fairline T44 Inner Smile - he's just sold it and transfers next week and doesn't want any scratches. He's not being nasty - just spend a fortune on gell blemish repairs and polishing!!

ENJOY!!! :)

Brayman
07-07-11, 15:13
Been on the booms since Sunday night, and they are very busy by now! You WILL NOT find any boom space left near the stage tonight, but rafting up is de riguer and not usually a problem. There will be loads of space downstream of the festival on the booms - remember they extend all the way to temple island, so you will definiteky find somewhere comfortable for the night..
The EA frown on rafting up more than two deep though (unless it's three little boats.. Due to stress on the booms)

Note for everyone: please don't raft alongside Fairline T44 Inner Smile - he's just sold it and transfers next week and doesn't want any scratches. He's not being nasty - just spend a fortune on gell blemish repairs and polishing!!

ENJOY!!! :)

I don't think that's a valid reason to not have anyone rafted alongside. Boom space is at a premium and should not be denied those who have made the effort to come along. It's bad form to hog the boom and turn away those who ask, especially if they only want a couple of hours.

Ian45
07-07-11, 15:45
Anyone on the booms today? How's it looking? Any space, even further down?

rosssavage
07-07-11, 17:32
Don't shoot the messenger! I've got a sealine F43 against me!!

That said, if we're talking about making the effort - he made the effort to take time off work to get here early and get a good spot. Rafting alongside is not a right, and I have had my boat damaged twice here by thoughtless rafters.

Again, I'm only playing devils advocate, I have someone against me right now.

apollo
08-07-11, 09:44
I don't think that's a valid reason to not have anyone rafted alongside. Boom space is at a premium and should not be denied those who have made the effort to come along. It's bad form to hog the boom and turn away those who ask, especially if they only want a couple of hours.

I agree, if you dont want folks alongside, dont go on the booms!

TrueBlue
08-07-11, 19:16
Nobody asked to raft up to me yesterday, probably because I was on the Berks side which was undersubscribed.

Couldn't hear the music, but we were there for the fireworks which were truly excellent - much better (though a bit shorter) than the Regatta at their best.

A lady hanging from a balloon was also very good.

If anyone decides to go (today's a bit short notice) then DO Great fun and free....

Ian45
10-07-11, 18:22
Well SWMBO, eldest daughter and myself went to Henley Festival and managed to get a brief glimpse of the events before they actually kicked off.

Now, much to SWMBO disappointment we decided that attaching ourselves to the booms, and there were plenty of places, was not going to be possible due to us having our dog with us who would need a 'toilette break' during the evening and first thing in the morning. I had thought a quick tutorial on the finer points of using a chemical toilette might solve the problem but only managed to undue one trouser button before SWMBO brought me back to my senses!

We had a little cruise up and down then went back to Medmenham where we moored up, opened a bottle of wine and awaited the distant sounds of ABBA to waft over the river to where we had made our home. Not quite the same I know and the only part of the firework display we saw was towards the very end when the highest of the high part of the explosions just appeared over the tree tops.

Never mind, at least we know what to expect next year so we can either leave the dog with family or just cruise up for the evening and back again later.

On a side note; some of the boats that just went for the evening and cruised back in darkness must think that hurtling down stream at that time of night gives them some magical power that reduces the wash they give....well it doesn't! I thought I was moored up at Silverston!!

boatone
10-07-11, 18:33
On a side note; some of the boats that just went for the evening and cruised back in darkness must think that hurtling down stream at that time of night gives them some magical power that reduces the wash they give....well it doesn't! I thought I was moored up at Silverston!!

We were moored up at Cookham for Saturday night. About 2am Sunday morning I was woken by a boat heading downriver at speed and seconds later we were being tossed around quite violently. No way of identifying or preventing and, more's the pity, certainly not going to be apprehended.

bumperdump
10-07-11, 22:31
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg277/cjelland/boat10711121.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg277/cjelland/boat10711120.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg277/cjelland/boat10711117.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg277/cjelland/boat10711115.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg277/cjelland/boat10711119.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg277/cjelland/boat10711122.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg277/cjelland/boat10711111.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg277/cjelland/boat10711148.jpg