PDA

View Full Version : If you returned to land - why?

cbtucker
22-07-11, 19:35
Yep, it's been a little while since I posted one of my questions. So I felt it was time to see what kind of discussion I could get going.

I like reading various blogs on sailing and have compiled a list (it's 84 now) of people in various stages of sailing (Favorite Links (http://from-land-to-liveaboard.blogspot.com/p/favorite-links.html)). The question I have is, If you returned to living on land, why? Was it for health reasons? Homesickness? Financial? Just didn't like living on a boat?

Now I realize that on a Sailing forum maybe there won't be that many people that have returned to land and are on here. But I thought I'd take a shot.

Baggy
22-07-11, 21:51
The question I have is, If you returned to living on land, why? Was it for health reasons?

Nope

Homesickness?

Nope

Financial?

well kind of...

Just didn't like living on a boat?

I loved it...

Richard10002
23-07-11, 03:05
Partly health, mainly financial. If I had the money to stop work again, buy something simple, and live on it in the sun, I could, and would.

Currently looking to buy a really cheap narrow boat, (£15k or so).

JustinC
23-07-11, 07:26
We will return to land because the time will have run out (at least for the moment), and my wife will have to go back to work.

Doesn“t mean we won“t do it again though, next time hopefully going further and for longer....

jimbaerselman
23-07-11, 08:14
Deteriorating agility means that younger, more agile crew are needed. And how many of those can tolerate an old codger like me bossing them around for more than a week or so . . .

Also, I'm no longer a contortionist, so I now delegate maintenance to others by chartering or crewing for friends. My contribution? Pouring the G&T, cooking, navigating in rough weather, piloting into out of the way gunk-holes. As long as I don't have to go up on deck in the wet and change a headsail any more.

A book title put it well; "To Sea in Carpet Slippers".