PDA

View Full Version : Bavaria Rudder Bearings

bob234
02-08-11, 16:43
I'm clutching at straws here but here goes....

It seems I need to replace both my upper and lower bearings. The sooner the better. We have been bashing our way 1500 miles westwards from Turkey and are now in Spain.

Unfortunately the problem has only reared it's ugly head in the last week and now it's August - erm, when the Bavaria factory in Germany shuts for it's holidays. It seems the bearing factory in Czech is also shut until 20 Aug and then it's 3 weeks to get new ones made.

So, does anybody know of anyone, anywhere, who might hold a little stock of Bavaria rudder bearings? (unlikely I know). My boat is a yr 2000 built Bavaria 47 Ocean (which makes sourcing more difficult as this model has not been made for some years).

Here's hoping for a miracle!

Cheers,

Bob

charles_reed
03-08-11, 13:02
As already suggested in another place get them made!!
I know of people in Messolonghi, Sevilla and Santander who could turn them up in a couple of hours from Delrin bar.

Do try and think outside self-imposed squares.

bob234
03-08-11, 16:10
As already suggested in another place get them made!!
I know of people in Messolonghi, Sevilla and Santander who could turn them up in a couple of hours from Delrin bar.

Do try and think outside self-imposed squares.

Hi Charles,

Thanks.

In Turkey the winter before last I had a new upper bearing made locally out of Delrin by a very good yard. Perhaps I was thinking 'outside of the square' - self imposed or otherwise.

I don't expect a problem with the upper bearing this time as the problem is mainly with the bottom one but might change the upper one anyway if it turns out the machining was less than perfect - if I source one.

As you saw from my reply to you elsewhere there is a reason for first wanting to source complete bearings - that I understand the old ones (esp the bottom one) often have to be destroyed during removal as they tend to bind to the housing. This wouldn't make make them an ideal pattern for the machine shop.

Nevertheless it's good to learn that you have found good machine shops in Spain and I appreciate the tip even if it was a little patronising!

Thanks again.

Bob

TRUNDLETRUC
09-08-11, 14:45
You do not say why you need to replace the rudder bearings? Are they too loose or too tight?
There are many threads about Bavaria rudder bearings going tight and the lower one on our yacht tightens up in time. Solution is to oil it, we use olive oil.
May or may not help you.

bob234
11-08-11, 12:08
You do not say why you need to replace the rudder bearings? Are they too loose or too tight?
There are many threads about Bavaria rudder bearings going tight and the lower one on our yacht tightens up in time. Solution is to oil it, we use olive oil.
May or may not help you.

Hi Trundletruc,

Thanks for that.

Obviously I searched the website first and saw that there are many threads about seized bearings. My problem is the opposite - too much play. I have never had stiff steering and binding bearings have not been a problem so far.

Perhaps I should have mentioned at the outset that my steering wasn't stiff (I didn't think to say what the problem wasn't) I was merely trying to see if anyone had information on stockists or manufacturers as Bavaria has closed down for August.

We dropped the rudder and took out the lower bearing for inspection a couple of days ago and confirmed there is too much play at the rudder stock.

If I could have found someone who stocked them I would have changed them there and then. Unfortunately my model of Bavaria has not been made for years and the UK, Spain and Portugal dealers don't have my bearings in stock (and a lot of machine shops are on holiday).

I have often offered suggestions on the forums before but this is the first time I have asked for help and the response has been fantastic. Everybody has been really helpful with their interest and ideas.

Thanks again.

Bob