PDA

View Full Version : Arson is NOT suspected

Richard Shead
03-08-11, 10:32
which is a good job given some of the threads on here...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-14384884

Flying Penguin
03-08-11, 10:46
That could just mean they did a good job ;)

At least no-one was hurt....

apollo
03-08-11, 11:27
Not me, I'm in Holland.

Ramage
03-08-11, 12:14
which is a good job given some of the threads on here...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-14384884
That is a real tragedy. As they say in the BBC report, the buildings and boats can be replaced, but the real loss is the historical memorabilia.

Lazy Kipper
03-08-11, 13:03
That is a real tragedy. As they say in the BBC report, the buildings and boats can be replaced, but the real loss is the historical memorabilia.

I think the destruction of some old photos hardly merits the description 'tragedy'! A drowning may be a 'tragedy' but some historical memorabilia getting damaged isn't.

rebellion
03-08-11, 17:17
Trophies, Medals and pots dating back to the foundation of the club (1871), from a club that trained the likes of Steve Redgrave, Sarah Winckless and Zac Purchase. I would justify the loss of so many historical and memoriable artifacts as a tragedy. What about if one othe remaining Dunkirk boats went up in smoke, would that not be a tragedy?

No Regrets
03-08-11, 20:54
Not guilty! :D

Where was Boatone? :o

Gavi
03-08-11, 21:50
Trophies, Medals and pots dating back to the foundation of the club (1871), from a club that trained the likes of Steve Redgrave, Sarah Winckless and Zac Purchase. I would justify the loss of so many historical and memoriable artifacts as a tragedy. What about if one othe remaining Dunkirk boats went up in smoke, would that not be a tragedy?

I concur with your sentiments. Whatever the word used to describe it, this is a great loss. I have never been to Marlow but was a frequent visitor to LRC in slimmer days when I lived in Putney. There are some great photos and artifacts there and I would be very sad if they were lost. I would expect Marlow to have had similar treasures.

Ramage
03-08-11, 22:05
I think the destruction of some old photos hardly merits the description 'tragedy'! A drowning may be a 'tragedy' but some historical memorabilia getting damaged isn't.

Definition of TRAGEDY
a : a medieval narrative poem or tale typically describing the downfall of a great man b : a serious drama typically describing a conflict between the protagonist and a superior force (as destiny) and having a sorrowful or disastrous conclusion that elicits pity or terror c : the literary genre of tragic dramas
a : a disastrous event : calamity b : misfortune

For Marlow Rowing Club, this was indeed a disastrous event : calamity b : misfortune !

captain tomas
04-08-11, 09:46
I would call it a tragedy, the club has suffered the loss, of part of their long
history.