PDA

View Full Version : Duogen generator for sale on eBay.

Moor64
05-08-11, 18:13
I am selling my Duogen wind/water generator on eBay by auction finishing on 15th August.

SlimRick
05-08-11, 20:31
You would think that after 28 posts on this site, every one advertising something on Ebay, you would at least include a link!!!

bigwow
05-08-11, 20:47
You would think that after 28 posts on this site, every one advertising something on Ebay, you would at least include a link!!!

Or even make the pretence of contributing something to one of the other posts.

Moor64
05-08-11, 23:05
With respect, gentlemen:
I am not aware that I have broken the rules of the forum
The item can be found simply by searching on eBay for 'Duogen'
I have not made 28 posts on this forum advertising items on eBay, I have made 14 and the other posts were replies to questions.
If you find the subject or the content of this thread innapropiate, please ask a moderator to contact me. I had hoped that this and my other entries might be of interest to readers of the Forum!
I would suggest that posts that reflect courtesy are more in the spirit of this web site.
Thank you.

Madhatter
06-08-11, 08:36
With due respect ,
I think people are referring to the spirit of the forum rather than the rules !;)

Lazy Kipper
06-08-11, 09:32
I have not made 28 posts on this forum advertising items on eBay, I have made 14 and the other posts were replies to questions.

Well that makes all the difference :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not a politician in your spare time? They have a similar approach to answering questions :D

Moor64
06-08-11, 09:32
I do thank you for your comment, as opposed to the previous comments which I found to be 'impolite'. This item was posted on the For Sale forum and I do understand that the rule is that if it is for sale on an auction site, then that must be stated in the Topic.
I think that it is to the benefit of readers and contributors of a Forum to have articles posted, whether they are for sale direct on the Forum site or by auction on another site. It follows, I believe, that if notices are not posted, then Forum readers might miss something which they need.
In all the cases where a question was asked I answered as fully as I could. That does constitute contributing to a forum and not simply stating that something is available on 'eBay', for example.
So I would like clarification of what is the spirit of the Forum. If needs be I would welcome the opinion of a Forum Moderator. I have no wish to hurt the feelings of or be dis-courteous to Forum members and, as I stated above, I do feel that what I have to sell may possibly be of benefit to other boat users.
Again, I thank you for your comment.

philip_stevens
06-08-11, 10:36
item number: 170677848516 shows how the Duo part works. Always wondered. Now know.

Lazy Kipper
06-08-11, 12:13
You'll find that the for sale forum causes a lot of irritation, some forum members appoint themselves as traffic wardens, pouncing on even a regular contributor who makes a minor infringement of the rules.

But what annoys most forum members, me included, is someone who appears to only want to make use of the forum to make some money selling gear, whether used or new. It's not in the spirit of an online community to waltz along, contribute nothing but just get selling.

Most of us would have been stuck many times without the advice on these forums. If you have or had a boat, then offer some advice, contribute to some discussions, and as part of that community, offer some stuff for sale to other members. At the moment you give the impression of a market trader setting up a stall in the middle of a village fete, only interested in making a quick buck.

snooks
06-08-11, 12:49
There is nothing wrong with Moor64 is doing, though an EBay link would help, but isn't essential. While it might not be in the spirit of the forum, they have broken no rules and there is nothing stopping anyone else doing the same.

Look on the bright side, you might get the heads up on an EBay bargain. If you're not interested in buying from EBay, don't click on the link! It's not rocket science is it? Moor64 is not trying to pull the wool over your eyes by tricking you into reading a post and then you find out it's on EBay.

If Moor64 would like to share their experience it's up to them and not a requirement of joining YBW. Many people lurk and just take from the forum, do users get upset by them?

Obviously Moor64 wants the most amount money for their equipment, it's their equipment, it's their choice.

If users take offence, alert a mod or take it up with Natalie Davis, don't have a go at the user when they haven't broken any rules.

Lazy Kipper
06-08-11, 13:58
He hasn't broken any rules, but a piece of advice explaining to him why some people are irritated wasn't out of place.

sailorman
06-08-11, 15:55
well put Kipper ;)

Moor64
06-08-11, 18:36
My apologies to those who might be upset by my posting. However.....

I did not wish to offend people.
I did not break the rules of the forum
I am not a market trader but am simply someone who has about 20 items to sell - I am 'de-cluttering'!
I do wish to sell for the maximum price - I'd be foolish not to!
And I had hoped that by informing readers of the YBW forums, the posting of items for sale might be of benefit to them

Thank you, Black Kipper, I certainly am not a politician! (I presumed that that comment was directed to me.) Indeed to call anyone a politician when they are not one is almost tantamount to forum 'Flaming' - lol.

So now I am in a quandary. As I have said I have about 9 more items to sell on eBay. Do I incur the wrath of those who think that from a moral point of view, the spirit of the Forum, I should not be making these posts? Perhaps I should put it to a vote (something that politicians are subject to now and again). If I receive more messages asking me to desist, then that I will do, albeit that Forum readers may miss out on items that I post on eBay. If I get more messages asking me to continue posting new threads, then I will continue. Except that if a moderator asks me to stop, then I will follow his/her instructions.

Thank you, gentlemen and ladies.

philip_stevens
06-08-11, 18:45
Just post and ignore. Don't respond to comments. If someone wants what you have to offer by bidding, then that is up to them.

Moor64
06-08-11, 19:04
Thank you Philip.

And for a further description regarding the use of a Duogen.

The alternator at the bottom of the Duogen shaft is mounted on a pivot which is affixed to the push pit.
In wind mode the Duogen is pointing upwards. The shaft is telescopic and can be dropped down so that the wind vane assembly can be removed (two pins, fixed to the unit, are withdrawn and the assembly can be placed out of the way in the cockpit.
The water mode unit which resembles a small propellor with a 'plane' or 'vane' underneath replaces it on the top of the shaft, again using the securing pins. Likewise the pivot on the alternator is held by a pin to stop it swinging around. This is removed for water mode operation.
That done, the shaft is telescopically extended again, unclamped from it's vertical position and with the use of a line fixed to the shaft is swung down into the water. The 'plane' of the water mode unit ensures that it's propellor stays under the surface of the water.
It is important to remember to pivot the shaft up out of the water when manoeuvring as opposed to cruising.
If this sounds complicated, please forgive my clumsy explanation, it really is very simple and only takes a minute or two to change from one mode to the other.
Regards

bigwow
06-08-11, 19:51
Why don't you just join in some of the other posts and keep everybody happy?

Moor64
06-08-11, 21:01
That I will endeavour to do although I'm somewhat up to my neck in chasing the guys around Hamble Point to start/finish work on my boat. I need to get sailing! Thanks.

Comrade Red
06-08-11, 21:16
That I will endeavour to do although I'm somewhat up to my neck in chasing the guys around Hamble Point to start/finish work on my boat. I need to get sailing! Thanks.

That explains a lot then. Thanks.

emnick
07-08-11, 10:53
Do you have to post to be a contributor? I for one do not post loads of messages but if I need advice I search and then post.

Surley you are contributing if giving YBW forumites the heads up on a ebay item?? after all ebay users must out number YBW by millions.

So Thanks for the heads up and keep listing.