PDA

View Full Version : What’s going on in Flicho Bay??

jmallaga
26-08-11, 15:28
We’ve just had a few days in Flicho Bay on Levkas , possibly one of the best secure anchorages in the area. We find a large section of the bay blocked off with laid moorings (legal??) Apparently put down by a couple of local business people, one doing guardienage and the other a local cafe bar owner (Both ex-pats) who must be making a small fortune by letting out these moorings to yachties. As Flicho is obviously a public, natural bay how can these individual make an exclusive claim on a good sized section of it for their own personal profit? If anyone has the answer I would be pleased to hear it.
While on the subject of Flicho, without wanting to rant!! Why, why is the public quay now been taken over by a yacht charter company (British) who at one time put up a notice saying “This is a commercial quay and any boat can be told to move” Since when was the public town quay in Flicho a commercial quay for the exclusive use of a yacht charter company? I did note as a concession they do allow private boats on the quay when their boats are out but, most of it is still blocked by their Ribs which are parked alongside to ensure no one else can get access. That is when the same Ribs are not screaming through the anchorage at 20 knots. I also found they have appropriated the one public water tap which has been on the quay and available for public use for at least 15 years, but is now for their private use. If anyone has the answer I would be pleased to hear it.

Chris_Robb
26-08-11, 16:52
We’ve just had a few days in Flicho Bay on Levkas , possibly one of the best secure anchorages in the area. We find a large section of the bay blocked off with laid moorings (legal??) Apparently put down by a couple of local business people, one doing guardienage and the other a local cafe bar owner (Both ex-pats) who must be making a small fortune by letting out these moorings to yachties. As Flicho is obviously a public, natural bay how can these individual make an exclusive claim on a good sized section of it for their own personal profit? If anyone has the answer I would be pleased to hear it.
While on the subject of Flicho, without wanting to rant!! Why, why is the public quay now been taken over by a yacht charter company (British) who at one time put up a notice saying “This is a commercial quay and any boat can be told to move” Since when was the public town quay in Flicho a commercial quay for the exclusive use of a yacht charter company? I did note as a concession they do allow private boats on the quay when their boats are out but, most of it is still blocked by their Ribs which are parked alongside to ensure no one else can get access. That is when the same Ribs are not screaming through the anchorage at 20 knots. I also found they have appropriated the one public water tap which has been on the quay and available for public use for at least 15 years, but is now for their private use. If anyone has the answer I would be pleased to hear it.

1. The charter company has paid for the extensions to the quay.

2. The charter company pays for the water out of the tap, as does Vliho Yacht club. Vliho YC will let you use the water provided you have the courtesy just to ask before you take.

3. My boat is on one of those moorings and thank god they are available, otherwise I would have to give up sailing there as they are very affordable - and he is not making a fortune.

4. Why are you so het up about this? There is so much space available its unbelievable. The Manager of the Vliho yacht club runs a bloody good service, you will find out for yourself if you break down in Messonlonghi and find they are with you in 2 hours to sort you out.

5. ever seen the bay in a summer blow?- you can easily get 50 knot gusts through, - small anchors and CQRs pull their way through the mud. The management spend a lot of time resecuring these boats dumped by their owners thinking the bay is tranquil. Its not.

6. None of the people you refer to would prevent you laying your own mooring.

7. No one has any exclusive right to a quay in Greece, if you refused to move they would not have a leg to stand on. However as they spent their money to improve the facilities that you are benefiting from, I would see that as as churlish.

8. They are not illegal moorings, and no-one is paying a back-hander to the police either.

jmallaga
27-08-11, 17:16
1. The charter company has paid for the extensions to the quay.

2. The charter company pays for the water out of the tap, as does Vliho Yacht club. Vliho YC will let you use the water provided you have the courtesy just to ask before you take.

3. My boat is on one of those moorings and thank god they are available, otherwise I would have to give up sailing there as they are very affordable - and he is not making a fortune.

4. Why are you so het up about this? There is so much space available its unbelievable. The Manager of the Vliho yacht club runs a bloody good service, you will find out for yourself if you break down in Messonlonghi and find they are with you in 2 hours to sort you out.

5. ever seen the bay in a summer blow?- you can easily get 50 knot gusts through, - small anchors and CQRs pull their way through the mud. The management spend a lot of time resecuring these boats dumped by their owners thinking the bay is tranquil. Its not.

6. None of the people you refer to would prevent you laying your own mooring.

7. No one has any exclusive right to a quay in Greece, if you refused to move they would not have a leg to stand on. However as they spent their money to improve the facilities that you are benefiting from, I would see that as as churlish.

8. They are not illegal moorings, and no-one is paying a back-hander to the police either.

1. I would like to see some evidence that the charter company paid one bean towards the public town quay extension

2. I'm sure the charter company do pay something for the water, as they are a commercial enterprise, but - that water has and always has been a PUBLIC water tap. Until now.

3. If you rely on a concrete mooring laid by a local bar owner to enable you to continue sailing in Greece I would suggest you give up now and buy a camper van. As for them not making a fortune if you count up the number of boats on the moorings, some have 3 on each mooring. We are talking of upwards of 3000 euro per month!!

4. I am not particularly het up as you put it but this type of thing is endemic in Greece - and spreading. How long before someone else decides to put down another 30 - 60 - 120 moorings as a nice little earner so that no one has room to anchor. Also - How would they get from Flicho to Messalongi in two hours, Harrier jump jet??

5. I have been in many summer blows, including quite a few iin Flicho. Fortunately I know how to anchor and do not have to rely on a concrete sinker.

6. I'm sure non of the boys would object if I laid my own personal sinker. I wonder what they would do if I laid 30 or more next to theirs? And as I'm sure you are aware it is totally illegal to put down a permanent mooring in any Greek waters unless you have written permission from the local port Police-and have paid for the licence.

7. No one can order you to move off a public town quay as you say but why do they park their Ribs, blocking off so much of the quay so no one can get on it!!

8. Quote ("They are not illegal moorings, and no-one is paying a back-hander to the police either.") I leave that one hanging in the air.

jimbaerselman
27-08-11, 18:13
4. I am not particularly het up as you put it but this type of thing is endemic in Greece - and spreading. How long before someone else decides to put down another 30 - 60 - 120 moorings as a nice little earner so that no one has room to anchor.

The point is that the place is getting crowded, and people are prepared to pay to use the moorings and have people look after thie boats when they go ashore, or leave for a month or six.

There's nothing new about this process. Moorings have been crowding out anchorages for all of the 50 years I've been sailing. People have more money. Boats are more affordable. There are more of them. There are a fixed number of anchorages. Britain's easy and secure anchorages have almost all surrendered to moorings. Same in most of the western Med.

Greece, remarkably, still has large numbers of secure anchorages and quaysides available. But water gypsies from northern Europe are slowly taking over every easily available berth. When a new quay is completed, in a matter of months it'll be filled, lumps of concrete will be laid, yet the foreign flag occupants will very rarely pay daily port dues. The locals usually do - a single lump sum per annum.

Sure, it's a pity that free anchorages disappear. Too many people want to share the space. The French, Croatians, Turkish, British dealt with this by building large numbers of marinas. I'm actually glad the Greeks haven't.

jordanbasset
28-08-11, 10:10
Having visited Vliho for the first time we enjoyed a very good meal at the Yacht club and can see no problem with the moorings. In reality you can get a lot more yachts in with moorings than at anchor but anyway Vliho has so much space cannot see it being a problem in the foreseeable future.
Do agree with Jim re the number of boats that take root on the most convenient quayside positions and not just in Vliho. If they are living aboard the boat have no issues with it but do see more and more 'dead boats' with no obvious signs of activity blocking the best positions. This is not good news for shops and tavernas ashore as there will be fewer people spending their money. It is a pity but do not see a way to stop it.

Chris_Robb
28-08-11, 10:34
3. If you rely on a concrete mooring laid by a local bar owner to enable you to continue sailing in Greece I would suggest you give up now and buy a camper van. As for them not making a fortune if you count up the number of boats on the moorings, some have 3 on each mooring. We are talking of upwards of 3000 euro per month!!

Thats if you like camper vans!!!
Are there really boats rafted on the moorings? When I left at the end of July there were none rafted.
3000 euros per month, but thats only for part of July and August, the rest of the time there are not that many.
Concrete mooring is a lot safer than dumping it on an anchor, and as for Greek Marinas I would trust Vhilco rather more than Messolonghi, which was my last experience of a greek marina. They give a good service, but do come back to me please on the rafting, because I would not be happy with that.

rigman
28-08-11, 12:44
We were there a couple of weeks ago, and I too was surprised at the recent proliferation of moorings. I can confirm that there were three or four moorings with two boats rafted (looked like laid up boats) and one with three. Not a great arrangement for long term.

sailaboutvic
30-08-11, 17:55
We were there a couple of weeks ago, and I too was surprised at the recent proliferation of moorings. I can confirm that there were three or four moorings with two boats rafted (looked like laid up boats) and one with three. Not a great arrangement for long term.

yes we also sew three boats rafted up on one mooring .

there seen to be a lot of this taken over quays all the sudden and charging people for it , spartakhoria in the bay on the left by the beach the local cafe as taken over the wall , laid lines and is charging for going on to the quay , we tried to anchor in the bay and told we cant it not aloud , we didn't anchor , not because he stop us but because it was too deep , as he buoy off the swallow part where we have anchored in the pass , we ended up on the outside of the wall and backing onto it , the guy kept well away from us .
oh just one more point I like to make , if the British yachtsmen who remark to me that he paid the guy 7 euros and would be happy to give the guy twice as much l for mooring there is reading this ... mate it people like you who mess the place up for the rest of us ...