PDA

View Full Version : Which boat electrics book ?

Fascadale
28-08-11, 14:03
I see on another thread that the Nigel Calder "Boatowners Handbook" is recommended. I understand that this covers things mechanical as well. The latest edition of this book, according to Amazon, is June 2005.

Is this book the best for a relative novice trying to make sense of, maintain and improve a 35 year old wiring system or is there perhaps something more up to date?

I am also considering changing from a 1,2, both, off system to a system with two isolating switches and maybe a linking switch. I think this takes me into the world of VSRs and Bluesea. Is this sort of thing fully explored in the Calder book or again should I be looking at something more up to date?

Thanks

VicS
28-08-11, 14:15
Some people like Garrod's "Electrics Afloat". A Practical Boat Owner book but now 10 years old.

Be aware that Calders book, and others you may find, is based on American standards and practices. Maybe only only minor differences but nevertheless something to be aware of.

The 12 volt Bible for Boats, by Brotherton and Sherman is another popular one.

For getting to grips with the real basics, if that's the level you are interested in, see Tony Brooks' Boat electrical notes at http://www.tb-training.co.uk/

aitchem
28-08-11, 14:32
I ended up with
Charles Wing.
Boat owners illustrated wiring handbook
and
Alistair Garrod.
Electrics afloat, both fit the bill for me.

Howard

jav301
28-08-11, 14:41
Mr Wing's book is the best I've seen. Even better, if you search for him on this forum you will come across a link which allows you to download the e-book for free.

Boo2
28-08-11, 15:08
Mr Wing's book is the best I've seen. Even better, if you search for him on this forum you will come across a link which allows you to download the e-book for free.

Where ?

Boo2

barnaclephill
29-08-11, 07:47
"The 12 volt bible for boats" by Mr Brotherton is available for free download as a pdf file:

........sorry, it didn't work.. link deleted.......

and in other places in a quick search.

Boo2
29-08-11, 08:03
"The 12 volt bible for boats" by Mr Brotherton is available for free download as a pdf file: http://www.filestube.com/t/the+12+volt+bible+for+boats

and in other places in a quick search.
You know, I sooo don't think I'm going to input my credit card details into that website...

Boo2

lustyd
29-08-11, 09:34
Just tried, my AV went mad. Didn't ask for a card number though.

Conachair
29-08-11, 10:55
Top tip, if you download kindle for PC you can get a sample of many books for free to check out what they are like.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/12-Volt-Bible-Boats-ebook/dp/B001AMU8NQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1314611567&sr=1-1

You need an amazon account.

Robin
29-08-11, 11:09
Calder's book is about as good as it gets. The 12V parts are very common anyway between USA and UK methods and he explains where any differences lie. The AC side is very different between USA and UK, but again is very well covered and differences explained. I had an earlier edition which I sold when we sold our UK boat, but I've just bought the 2005 (latest) edition to take with us when we go to the USA, because I needed so help with USA AC circuit understanding.

barnaclephill
29-08-11, 11:48
Sorry about that link: I didn't follow it through.

I recall that I've downloaded the "12 Volt bible for boats" but can't find it in my XHDD. What I did find was "The 12 Volt doctor's practical handbook" by Edgar Beyn. It's 11MB and I tried but couldn't upload it to photobucket. PM if you want it, or tell me where I can upload its PDF to for your download.

I also have a pdf by the same author of "the 12 volt doctor's alternator book" at 6.2MB.

You should be able to easily get via Amazon or others, a book review page including pdf's of selected pages, and from that you'll see the contents and determine if it's at the level of teaching that you need, or that it's not the book for you.

Stu Jackson
29-08-11, 18:29
I am also considering changing from a 1,2, both, off system to a system with two isolating switches and maybe a linking switch. I think this takes me into the world of VSRs and Bluesea. Is this sort of thing fully explored in the Calder book or again should I be looking at something more up to date?

Thanks

You should keep your 1-2-B switch. Why install three switches when one will do? The blue Seas dual circuit switch is an incorrect application because it combines two banks when one may be knackered.

If you do a search on this board on "1-2-B switch" you'll find many discussions.

If wired properly, with the alternator output going to either the start (UK) or house (US) bank, the 1-2-B switch saves you money and wiring complications. You can still use VSRs between the banks for automatic charging.

You may also be interested in this, and #7 has a link to some good books, too - http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5977.0.html

VicS
29-08-11, 21:11

I recall that I've downloaded the "12 Volt bible for boats" but can't find it in my XHDD. What I did find was "The 12 Volt doctor's practical handbook" by Edgar Beyn. It's 11MB and I tried but couldn't upload it to photobucket. PM if you want it, or tell me where I can upload its PDF to for your download.

I also have a pdf by the same author of "the 12 volt doctor's alternator book" at 6.2MB.

You should be able to easily get via Amazon or others, a book review page including pdf's of selected pages, and from that you'll see the contents and determine if it's at the level of teaching that you need, or that it's not the book for you.

Both the 12 volt handbook and the alternator handbook can be found at http://www.motoren.ath.cx/menus/electrical.php

VicS
29-08-11, 21:13

Both the 12 volt handbook and the alternator handbook can be found at http://www.motoren.ath.cx
Scroll down to "Electrical"