PDA

View Full Version : Contessa 39

Sea Seven
22-01-12, 20:32
Does anyone have experience or knowledge of the Contessa 39? There's very little on the internet.

rickym
23-01-12, 13:09
Why not ask Jeremy Rogers at Lymington?

http://sailboatdata.com/view_builder.asp?builder_id=168

E39mad
23-01-12, 14:29
Aren't the boats latterly called a Dawn 39 following takeover of the moulds/rights.

Also iirc the navy at Dartmouth have a fleet of them.

Tranona
23-01-12, 15:03
Does anyone have experience or knowledge of the Contessa 39? There's very little on the internet.

Very little because few were actually built. When it came out, fashions had changed and that style of boat lost popularity. As already mentioned it was rebadged as the Dawn 39 and some were built, but often home completed from mouldings.

Boo2
23-01-12, 15:23
Aren't the boats latterly called a Dawn 39 following takeover of the moulds/rights.

According to Sailboatdata (http://www.sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=4449) that's the Contessa 38.

I tried without success to obtain info on the D39 a few years ago when I was daydreaming about self-build, IIRC Blaxtons (www.blaxtonboats.co.uk)were advertising mouldings at that time but there's nothing about it on their website now.

Boo2

r_h
23-01-12, 15:42
According to Sailboatdata (http://www.sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=4449) that's the Contessa 38.

Correct - the 38 is very similar to the 32 in terms of style.

IIRC the 39 started out as a One Ton IOR race boat in (I think) 1979 and the first couple were quite stripped out, although I believe a few were also built with fully fitted interiors.

Morven
23-01-12, 15:48
I think the moulds ended up at Crinnan, IIRC they were for sale about 8 years ago as well as a couple of hulls.

sailorman
23-01-12, 16:59

The S&S or the Rogers stretched 32
a friend had the stretched one & hated it he sold it within 9 months & bought a Nic 35 owned her these past 12 yrs

Clyde_Wanderer
23-01-12, 18:15
I think this is one of them.
Lovely boat if they stay upright!:(

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k225/sturgen/Hummingbirdsbrokenmast-1.jpg

uxb
23-01-12, 19:07
I think the moulds ended up at Crinnan, IIRC they were for sale about 8 years ago as well as a couple of hulls.

They were both on the pier at Ardrishaig for a long while. A storm blew one into the harbour and damaged it badly. The other one was bought by someone from darn sarf...

E39mad
23-01-12, 20:03
Agh ... OK .. yes there was a Doug Peterson designed 39

Shuggy
23-01-12, 20:11
I saw a nice one last summer on Canna. I think she was green - a very pretty boat. I also think that the moulds did end up at Crinan some time ago.

dt4134
23-01-12, 20:43
I saw one recently and I did a web search to see if I could find a photo to jog my memory. Anyway, no luck there, but according to Wikipedia, Jeremy Rogers was placed 2nd overall in the 1979 Fastnet in a Contessa 39, so I guess that would indicate they could cope with a lot in the right hands.

Clyde_Wanderer
23-01-12, 22:38
I saw a nice one last summer on Canna. I think she was green - a very pretty boat. I also think that the moulds did end up at Crinan some time ago.

That sounds like the one beside me, Greenheart.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k225/sturgen/P1040255.jpg

C_W

Morven
24-01-12, 10:40
Didn't she get built for Mike Balmforth, the editor of Yachting Life, I know he sold her on must be about 7 years past now.

uxb
24-01-12, 12:17
They were both on the pier at Ardrishaig for a long while. A storm blew one into the harbour and damaged it badly. The other one was bought by someone from darn sarf...

If I remember correctly the previous owner of the yard was planning on building them to keep the yard busy in the winter months but the plan failed once they realised that the only way to get the moulds into the yard would be by sea or helicopter-a bit late in the day to find this out when the moulds were on a truck in Ardrishaig...

robmcg
24-01-12, 12:52
One being fitted out in Port Bannatyne boatyard at the moment (Dawn Class 39).

doug748
24-01-12, 19:12

As already mentioned in the more accurate posts, the Contessa 39 was a very quick late 70s boat. Not many about and the usual warnings apply about ex racing machines. I have only seen one at sea and it was moving fast in about 1 knot of wind.

If you are looking at Dawn Class 39s, try searching for Contessa 38. They are a 32 writ large, the line of the deck just does not quite work, to my eye

sailorman
24-01-12, 19:35
As already mentioned in the more accurate posts, the Contessa 39 was a very quick late 70s boat. Not many about and the usual warnings apply about ex racing machines. I have only seen one at sea and it was moving fast in about 1 knot of wind.

If you are looking at Dawn Class 39s, try searching for Contessa 38. They are a 32 writ large, the line of the deck just does not quite work, to my eye

check for lee helm too ;)

Sea Seven
27-01-12, 17:56
Many thanks for all the replies. This was my first ever post and I'm amazed by the diversity of knowledge and information.
I've promised myself a boat when I get to 60, not long now, and have researched many in the 36-40 foot range. This one was a bit more difficult to find out about.
Next time I'm at Ardrishaig I'll watch out for those moulds! :)

Quandary
28-01-12, 13:31
Many thanks for all the replies. This was my first ever post and I'm amazed by the diversity of knowledge and information.
I've promised myself a boat when I get to 60, not long now, and have researched many in the 36-40 foot range. This one was a bit more difficult to find out about.

Don't waste too much of your time searching, they are long long gone, at least ten years.

saltylegs
28-01-12, 20:50
There is a very nice Contessa 39 in Strangford Lough.

http://contessa39.blogspot.com/

photodog
28-01-12, 23:44
Didnt they change the rudder or something with the Dawn from the Contessa???...

I think Sailormans comments about the lee helm had something to do with it....

There is a fabulous Dawn 39 in Plymouth yacht haven... very pretty boat with great lines..

I would have one.

sailorman
29-01-12, 00:05

There is a fabulous Dawn 39 in Plymouth yacht haven... very pretty boat with great lines..

I would have one.

was she "Castaway"

robmcg
29-01-12, 15:59

I would have one.

I believe you are right - remember reading that the original Contessa 39 was a handful in the steering department, which was subsequently corrected on the Dawn 39. Mind you, that info is coming from a dim light bulb at the very back of the brain so appologies to any Contessa 39 owners whose boats handle like Maradona!!!!

doug748
29-01-12, 16:19

I see David Alan-Williams designed the Contessa 38 and the later Dawn 39.

(the Contessa 39 being a different kettle of fish altogether)

Does anyone know anything more about this designer?

Icarus39
01-04-12, 10:08

Hi Sea Seven, we have a Dawn Class 39. They are superb boats, we have a blog which you can check out at

http://www.yachticarus.blogspot.com

We have just put her up for sale.
John