PDA

View Full Version : Recommended boatyard / shipwright / carpenter

PEEJAYSEA
03-02-12, 05:01
Hi

Can you chaps recommend any good boatyards / shipwrights / carpenters in the BC area? Boat is currently on the hard in Barry.

I may well want some work done over winter 2012 (possibly sand / shot / media blasting and welding done followed by an internal refit).

Many thanks

Paul

ribdriver
07-02-12, 21:59
Watchet.....small yard but pretty much everything available or allowed (some yards can be funny about blasting).

There's some good companies that I have seen working there with some impressive work....pretty much everything you mention/require.

The marina number is 01984 631264

Coaster
08-02-12, 20:29
As you've had such a poor response it may be worth giving more details.

Do you envisage the work being done in Barry?

If not, would the boat be moved by road or on the water?

Where do you intend to keep the boat?

If you were to move the boat to Pembrokeshire there are people I could strongly recommend.

Good luck.

PEEJAYSEA
15-02-12, 10:50
Thanks for the (two) replies.

I am open to suggestions to be honest - I belive that there is a yard at Barry but not sure of costs, work standards etc

Watchet is just across the water so that is a close option.

Road transport to other locations had not been considered.

I don't know the area that well and this is my first yacht so that is hampering me in the "thinking department". I don't want to bite off more than I can chew - mentally of financially!

I will hopefully get a better idea once we have had her on th water over the summer and we as a family can better assess our needs / capbilities and those of the boat :D

The intention is not to rush to failure but to get it right.....

Coaster
15-02-12, 20:11
I will hopefully get a better idea once we have had her on th water over the summer and we as a family can better assess our needs / capbilities and those of the boat :D

The intention is not to rush to failure but to get it right.....

Very wise.

Enjoy your 2012 boating season.

Let us know if you do anything spectacular - good or bad!

The old adage is that the enjoyment obtained from a boat is in inverse proportion to the size and cost - so keep it simple.