PDA

View Full Version : Eberspatcher wiring problem

clyst
18-02-12, 16:56
Hi All

Been trying to wire in a new (second hand) unit . It came with a rheostat switch but I want to wire it in to the existing room stat . So far so good but problem now is the good book says a "GREY" wire from the unit should be connected to the "BLACK" on the room stat . "GREY" wire is missing from the loom from main unit as the good book says the "GREY" isnt used on the redundant rheostat anyone know where the "GREY" should be connected to the heater unit ?? If that makes sense.

Cheers

pvb
18-02-12, 17:15
Eberspacher is one of the better manufacturers - most manuals are available free online, and they include wiring diagrams which will help you.

haydude
18-02-12, 17:21
Units purchased on eBay often come from specific lorry installations and plug directly into the lorry's control unit. On those versions wires like grey and even yellow often are missing and the units cannot function with standard timers and rheostats.

clyst
18-02-12, 17:25
Eberspacher is one of the better manufacturers - most manuals are available free online, and they include wiring diagrams which will help you.

Cheers pvb
I'v down loaded the Espar manual but the wire colour abreviations are unreadable even on the comp screen !! Unbl**dy believable !! Checked other sites with same results

clyst
18-02-12, 17:30
Units purchased on eBay often come from specific lorry installations and plug directly into the lorry's control unit. On those versions wires like grey and even yellow often are missing and the units cannot function with standard timers and rheostats.

But if I can find which conn the "grey" should be connected to on the unit then surely its a simple case of running a new wire is it not that simple .

pvb
18-02-12, 17:31
Cheers pvb
I'v down loaded the Espar manual but the wire colour abreviations are unreadable even on the comp screen !! Unbl**dy believable !! Checked other sites with same results

The wire colours are readable on my screen. Which manual have you downloaded? And from which site? The Eberspacher UK site has most of the manuals.

clyst
18-02-12, 17:37
The wire colours are readable on my screen. Which manual have you downloaded? And from which site? The Eberspacher UK site has most of the manuals.

This one.

http://www.espar.com/documents/D1LCc.pdf

Is this the same one ??

alteredoutlook
18-02-12, 17:45
Have a look at this website - full of useful knowledge - including a section on wiring

http://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/D2_D4_Service_1.html

pvb
18-02-12, 18:01
This one.

Is this the same one ??

No, try this one (http://www.eberspacher.com/downloads/technical-documents/airB1LC+D1LC_technical.pdf) from the Eberspacher UK website.

pvb
18-02-12, 18:02
Have a look at this website - full of useful knowledge - including a section on wiring

But it doesn't seem to cover the D1LC, which the OP has...

alteredoutlook
18-02-12, 18:07
But it doesn't seem to cover the D1LC, which the OP has...

it does - have a look at the wiring page and browse down to the bottom

clyst
18-02-12, 18:09

Thanks according to list :-"12 Grey External temperature sensor input, (optional extra, usually not used) "

Presume this is for truck installation or is it "room temp inut" ??

This is developing into a nightmare!! I thought this fitting was going to be a 5minute job !!

pvb
18-02-12, 18:11
it does - have a look at the wiring page and browse down to the bottom

Well, so it does, my apologies. However, it has no wiring diagrams, merely referring to the loom colours and, as the OP mentioned, his loom doesn't have a grey wire. So it wouldn't really help him.

clyst
18-02-12, 18:19
Well, so it does, my apologies. However, it has no wiring diagrams, merely referring to the loom colours and, as the OP mentioned, his loom doesn't have a grey wire. So it wouldn't really help him.

My set up is as shown on page 12 here .

pvb
18-02-12, 18:27
My set up is as shown on page 12 here .

So what info do you now need?

clyst
18-02-12, 18:34
So what info do you now need?

Sorry pvb. As can be seen from diag the black from the room stat is conn to grey in the main harness . The rheostat as shown on the page and in reality shows grey not used ie not fitted . What I now need to do is run a new "grey" from the room stat back to the heater unit . What I trying to establish is where should the "grey" wire connect on the heater unit .

pvb
18-02-12, 18:38
Sorry pvb. As can be seen from diag the black from the room stat is conn to grey in the main harness . The rheostat as shown on the page and in reality shows grey not used ie not fitted . What I now need to do is run a new "grey" from the room stat back to the heater unit . What I trying to establish is where should the "grey" wire connect on the heater unit .

Did you look at the link I gave you in post #9? That manual has detailed wiring diagrams, with pin numbers for the connectors. I'm not sure what else you need, unless you want someone to come and do it for you.

clyst
18-02-12, 18:42
Did you look at the link I gave you in post #9? That manual has detailed wiring diagrams, with pin numbers for the connectors. I'm not sure what else you need, unless you want someone to come and do it for you.

I'm only asking for advice thats all. Nevermind

Incidently the your link doesnot refect the wiring for the room stat that I have

pvb
18-02-12, 18:45

Incidently the your link doesnot refect the wiring for the room stat that I have

You didn't ask for that! In post #5, you wanted to know which connection on the heater the grey wire goes to, so you can run a new wire. The answer's in the wiring diagram, surely?

alteredoutlook
18-02-12, 19:38
according to http://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/D2_D4_Service_1.html (nb its not my web site - just a useful one i stumbeld across) on the wiring page the grey wire for a DILC
is connected to pin 8 :
'08 Grey External temperature sensor input, (optional extra, usually not used)'

Depending on your installation you may or may not have to use it - i fitted a D4 to my boat in the aft locker. Because the locker warms up because both the exhaust and ducting go through it the D4 unit 'shut down' early because temp is reached.

VicMallows
18-02-12, 21:42
It always intrigues me why the adjustable temperature control on some Eberspachers is always referred to as a 'RHEOSTAT'. In all other contexts it would be simply called a 'variable resistor' ... maybe even a 'potentiometer'.

But a 'RHEOSTAT' instantly conjures up the image of a really hefty device, probably made of ceramic, capable of carrying many amps.:(

(I guess it's just come about in the translation from German, and has somehow stuck).

Vic

brians
19-02-12, 10:20
I had the same problem with a brand new D2 last year. The grey wire did not exist in the loom but it is essential for thermostat to work. I put in a new wire between the cabin thermostat and the heater and it works fine.

skipper_stu
19-02-12, 10:35

The eber diags are german spec, quite easy once you get your head around it, you need a modicum of electrical knowledge to understand it. The fitting in trucks bit is a red herring, haydude sounds like the eber man who complained about the article i wrote in PBO :)
The d1lc is particularly easy to play with, but what i will say is that it is pretty primitive too. It doesnt like cycling on temp control (in my experience) Better to leave it on the rheostat controller and let the in body temp thing control it. Feed the heating air in from the heated area, that way it reacts to the internal temp and uses less fuel (it is heating already warmed air) In my previous 35 ft boat, the d1lc would heat it up with one outlet to the saloon and the intake from one of the aft cabins, no need for a themostat, just turn it down a notch, not very often if my swmbo was on board!
It never would run slower than one notch down and anecdotal evidence suggests the same.
Basically why bother messing with it! especially if you cant read the diagrams (sorry!)
Stu

rob2
19-02-12, 13:14
I hope the room stat is compatible, the Eberspacher one appears to be simply a temperature sensitive resistor and many more complex systems use switches and circuitry which may not be suitable. As already mentioned, there is a temperature sensor already in the intake of the heater which will control the heater if the heating air is taken from within the cabin as a recirculating system, otherwise it will only measure the outside air temperature and the heater will run full blast or until the locker in which the heater is mounted warms up.

Another word of warning is that several posts have talked about the D1LC, which strictly speaking is the model with a remote mounted controller and maximum output of 1.8kW. The other unit often so described is the D1LC compact (D1LCc) which has the controller mounted internally above the motor just like the current units and has a maximum output of 2.2kW. Just be sure which you have before downloading the manual or the wiring is likely to get confusing! Apart from anything else, the id label will show the max output as 1800W (D1LC) or 2200W (D1LCc).

Rob.