PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in La Coruna at the moment?

Arigatou
09-04-12, 19:52
Hi, if you are in La coruna at the moment please let us know. We will be there tomorrow (tuesday 10/4) and would love to look out for other english speaking boats (people???).

Blue5
10-04-12, 19:36
In Sines looking to get to La Coruna but looking at the charts will have a long wait:)

Wansworth
10-04-12, 20:03
You have arrived very early in the season-I suggest you rent a car and get out and see some of inland Galicia,La Coruņa in the rain is not much fun------

Nostrodamus
11-04-12, 05:32
You have arrived very early in the season-I suggest you rent a car and get out and see some of inland Galicia,La Coruņa in the rain is not much fun------

Moggy,
We are round the corner from La Corunia in Vividerio and judging by the weather we will be here for a good few days. Having said that there are worse places to be.
We are still trying to get to grips with Spanish customs and the language but have found the locals to be very friendly and a surprising amount know at least a little English and are willing to try using it. We are trying to get the people we meet to teach us a little Spanish and so far it has helped us mingle and brings out a few laughs in the bars.
We will go onto Corunia and then down into the Rias for a good few weeks (hopefully) as we have been told how beautiful they are.
Do you have any suggestions on places to visit or avoid on the West coast or any useful tips.
Thanks

Arigatou
11-04-12, 06:09
In Sines looking to get to La Coruna but looking at the charts will have a long wait:)

We will be moving down the coast of Portugal shortly and then onto Gib. Will watch out for you.

Wansworth
11-04-12, 08:17
Moggy,
We are round the corner from La Corunia in Vividerio and judging by the weather we will be here for a good few days. Having said that there are worse places to be.
We are still trying to get to grips with Spanish customs and the language but have found the locals to be very friendly and a surprising amount know at least a little English and are willing to try using it. We are trying to get the people we meet to teach us a little Spanish and so far it has helped us mingle and brings out a few laughs in the bars.
We will go onto Corunia and then down into the Rias for a good few weeks (hopefully) as we have been told how beautiful they are.
Do you have any suggestions on places to visit or avoid on the West coast or any useful tips.
Thanks

The only up to date info I can give you is that I was sailing in a mates boat from MUXIA to Cangas last summer.Muxia is a phantom marina which we moored up in but no services.Muros our next stop was under construction although there is a good anchourage in front of the town.Cangas where my wife comes from has a marina in the middle of the town with a ferry to Vigo.I came down the coast 30 years ago and most places had an anchourge off the town;these days it seems there are marinas taking up the anchourage area as inLa Coruņa.You really seem to have come at the wrong time as Galicia is best seen in May and June before the mass of tourists arrive.....and it can get HOT!!!!!

If your not in a rush maybe the weather will improve in a few weeks.As you are moored in Vivero you could take the bus and visit Lugo a city with a comlete Roman wall around the old part,the rural galicai is different from the maritime edge.Once you get to Coruņa you can get the bus to Santiago.The upside is you will probably be the only attraction in town and the places you visit will bre free of tourists.

Conachair
11-04-12, 08:44
We are trying to get the people we meet to teach us a little Spanish and so far it has helped us mingle and brings out a few laughs in the bars.

http://radiolingua.com/shows/spanish/coffee-break-spanish/

Learn a language with your latte....

Hit the itunes podcast button and Hola, Buenos Dias, Una cerveįa por favour :cool:

Viviero was my landfall after Biscay, happy memories :)

jimbaerselman
11-04-12, 10:46
Do you have any suggestions on places to visit or avoid on the West coast or any useful tips. It's a great cruising area, but quite windy at times, especially south of Finisterre from late May onwards, when the northerly Portuguese trade winds have settled in. Luckily, it's mostly flat water in the regular winds. For detail about places to see or avoid, go to:
http://www.jimbsail.info/drupal/tidal-europe/galicia
And enjoy the seafood and tapas bars!

Nostrodamus
11-04-12, 10:59
Thank you for the replies Moggy and Paddy.
We have no problems with the bad weather as we are equally at home trying to get to know the locals in some bar. We did have an interesting night last night with four or five of them and the bar owner trying to learn Spanish. We got given all the usual food and even cake. The bill for the drink we had to ask if they made a mistake. It was so small and we would have paid double or treble in a supermarket just for the food alone. So far we have found them to be a wonderfully warm and outgoing peoples.
We will use Paddies site to learn more as we would like to stay here in Spain for a good while.

Baggy
11-04-12, 13:49
FYI
Nostro.. and anyone else..

Good anchoring at Aries ( if strong northerlies ) and just outside of Marina Sada
where you will find an excellent supermarket ..

Arigatou
11-04-12, 19:37
So coming back to whether there is anyone in La Coruna at the moment - I guess not. What a pity.

Hamma
12-04-12, 00:12
There must be someone - just no-one you know yet. As a South African I doubt that will present an insurmountable obstacle.

There are lots of people on here you'd be glad to avoid!

Wansworth
12-04-12, 09:03
There are lots of Coruņeses,a lot speak English or at least try,forign travel is to meet people and see new lands,from my understanding ,so you will run into lots of english speaking people at the present enjiy the cahallenge of this new country.

chockswahay
12-04-12, 18:15
Muros our next stop was under construction although there is a good anchourage in front of the town.

Wot! A marina in Muros? It will never be the same again! I have really fond memories of Muros in summer 2006 during the sea festival..........lovely place! The anchorage was great.

Doesn't help the O.P I know but I just had to type something :)

Chox

Wansworth
12-04-12, 18:22
Wot! A marina in Muros? It will never be the same again! I have really fond memories of Muros in summer 2006 during the sea festival..........lovely place! The anchorage was great.

Doesn't help the O.P I know but I just had to type something :)

Chox

I had not been there for 30 years so it was interesting to see what the influx of money from europe had done.On the whole its not been spoilt,the marina is to one side and the anchorage is ok.The town has been revamped but not spoilt.There was a howling wind tearing down the ria so we ended up anchoured just above the tidal mill in the lee of a small promentory,as usual there was more wind in the ria than out at sea.