PDA

View Full Version : Algarve/southern Spain marinas

rickym
17-04-12, 11:27
We will need to leave the boat for a week at the beginning of September for a week to fly home to the UK for a family wedding. We will be en route to the canaries for an atlantic crossing and was wondering what the team thinks is the best place to leave an 11m yacht for a week in either the Algarve or southern Spain.

Ricky

tri39
17-04-12, 11:50
I'd consider Portimao for a pontoon berth, or Alvor if you're happy to anchor!
Also consider possibly a mooring at Faro?

chinita
17-04-12, 11:50
Not really worth traipsing off route all the way to Spain just to leave a boat for one week IMO.

Probably the best, and cheapest, place would be Albufeira on the Algarve. Pretty convenient for Faro Airport too.

Conachair
17-04-12, 14:08
Lagos or Portimao probably. Lagos the train station is right by the marina and big supermarket and market are walking distance for provisioning the trip south. Portimao has the same but further away from the marina.

Ps. Lagos has well stocked chandlery for that last minute shackle to go with the last minute few more tins of tuna before an ocean passage ;)

Borden
17-04-12, 14:24
I agree with Paddy (Conachair). Over the winter of 2006-7 we were in Portimao and Paddy was in Lagos. Portimao marina does suffer from surging if it's been rough but it is/was cheaper than Lagos. Lagos marina is several miles further west and is well protected and so close to the station you could sit on your boat and wait for the train to arrive without missing it. There doesn't seem much point in heading any further east along the Algarve coast than you have to.
Colin

chinita
17-04-12, 14:25
Lagos or Portimao probably. Lagos the train station is right by the marina and big supermarket and market are walking distance for provisioning the trip south. Portimao has the same but further away from the marina.

Ps. Lagos has well stocked chandlery for that last minute shackle to go with the last minute few more tins of tuna before an ocean passage ;)

I agree with Lagos for convenience and facilities(I am there) but trying to connect with flights using the train is difficult - particularly coming back.

Resorthoppa is probably the most reliable and flexible from Lagos, Portimao or Albufeira and back.

The Lagos 'Middle Season' now begins on 1 Sep. I think it used to be 16 Sep so that is a little bit of a saving. Still about 250.00/ 11m for the week tho'.

maxi77
17-04-12, 15:08
Albufeira is certainly the lowest cost marina, and is very sheltered. Transfer pickups and drop offs are easy (use the marina appartments reception as the pick up/drop off point) and cheap if booked on line (my last transfers were 10 euros per person return). New chandlers with dhobie mackines has opened beside ?Sharky's bar and free wifi can be had from Nosoloitalia, on the pontoons often with a signal enhancer.

rickym
17-04-12, 15:30
Thanks guys for the replies, will book flights from Faro and find the cheapest marina a bit nearer the time, 250 for a week is a bit of a sting but if it has to be done... Will have to balance the cruising budget some other way!

rallyveteran
17-04-12, 16:34
...you could consider Povoa de Varzim for less than half the price of Lagos for a week, and a month costs less than a fortnight. Easy metro link to Porto airport. The shelter isn't the best, but should be OK in September.

david36
17-04-12, 17:29
We will need to leave the boat for a week at the beginning of September for a week to fly home to the UK for a family wedding. We will be en route to the canaries for an atlantic crossing and was wondering what the team thinks is the best place to leave an 11m yacht for a week in either the Algarve or southern Spain.

Ricky

If you don't have to do any serious reprovisioning then I would recommend Albufeira, it is relatively cheap, bomb-proof from the weather viewpoint, reasonably secure and near Faro airport for cheap flights. Supermarkets are a taxi ride away. If you need to restock food and/or chandlery then Lagos which, as said above, is also bomb-proof, very secure with a huge supermarket 100 meters from the end of the marina but costs more. The chandlery is reasonably stocked but expensive but the nearest altenative is a long way away. Lagos also costs more to get to the airport unless you can use the train to Faro and taxi to the airport.
Fair winds.

Downsman
17-04-12, 17:54
You mention the beginning of September and then the Canaries and then an Atlantic crossing. I take it you won't be crossing until maybe December time? If so, why don't you find the best Portugese marina for the airport/travel side of things and think about buying your stores in Las Palmas, instead of having the boat awash with stores for 3 months?
I found the big supermarket and Municipal market in Las Plamas were so used to people buying ship's stores that they even delivered if you arranged it with them. Perhaps price differences between Portugal and Canaries shops have changed since 2007 when I last did it, but then there was hardly any difference, in fact fruit and veg from the big market in Las Palmas was really cheap.:)

Blue5
17-04-12, 18:35
Albufeira is probably the cheapest Marina and if you have a 12m boat Lagos is the most expensive. We lifted in Portimao and wintered in Albufeira, when we arrived seemed to be quite a few boats waiting to do the ARC

maxi77
17-04-12, 21:34
If you don't have to do any serious reprovisioning then I would recommend Albufeira, it is relatively cheap, bomb-proof from the weather viewpoint, reasonably secure and near Faro airport for cheap flights. Supermarkets are a taxi ride away. If you need to restock food and/or chandlery then Lagos which, as said above, is also bomb-proof, very secure with a huge supermarket 100 meters from the end of the marina but costs more. The chandlery is reasonably stocked but expensive but the nearest altenative is a long way away. Lagos also costs more to get to the airport unless you can use the train to Faro and taxi to the airport.
Fair winds.

Another plus point for Albufeira is the bus service, we only used taxis for late night trips after the buses had stopped, though there is a taxi rank in the Lidl carpark, and outside Continente (which does low priced gaz refills) and Pingo Doce.